Why become a member? ×

Classic rock covers

19 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Is it possible to do the foot on the monitor thing with a multi scale 5 string?

I would, but modern powered speakers with monitor tilt handles are too wobbly.

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I would, but modern powered speakers with monitor tilt handles are too wobbly.

Guitarist and I nearly came a cropper with exactly that on Saturday. We went up the front side by side for the guitar solo in The Final Countdown, feet up and planted on a monitor that felt it like to was made of cardboard. Bore no weight whatsoever. Heft-less one might say. I think we managed to style it out 😎

• Haha 2

On 19/05/2024 at 18:40, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Classic Rock is a very broad term, it could mean Highway To Hell or Won't Get Fooled Again.

Warning - Quo is deceptively tricky!

Yes but Quo is sugar honey iced tea and simply knowing that is enough to swerve the “problem”

You're depping with a band. . . . and you're saying you won't play certain songs?

IMO the job we take on when we agree to dep in a band, is to play their set to a level that they don't notice their regular bassist is missing. . . . period. That includes all the songs on the list. Whether we like the numbers or not is irrelevant. 

• Like 11

18 hours ago, chris_b said:

You're depping with a band. . . . and you're saying you won't play certain songs?

IMO the job we take on when we agree to dep in a band, is to play their set to a level that they don't notice their regular bassist is missing. . . . period. That includes all the songs on the list. Whether we like the numbers or not is irrelevant. 

I'm not playing unless I'm going to enjoy it. If I don't enjoy then it's work and I don't need more of that unless it pays more than the day job.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

While Status Quo songs are only two and half minutes long, and you only have to learn 3 notes, and if it's not a tribute you don't even have to wear double denim.

But what most people forget is that cover bands don't like two and half minute songs - there will undoubtedly be extra choruses, extended guitar solos and god forbid, crimes against crimes; - The Satatus Quo Medley. 

Caroline, Down Down, Rockin' All Over the World plus some obscure number that only the guitarist knows. 

Edited by TimR
  • Haha 2

A mate of mine, who's a really good drummer with a pretty decent CV, was always a big Quo fan. He was always a bit defensive about it, as a few of us found it quite amusing! 

He's now got a Status Quo tribute up and gigging, with some good players involved. I'm going to have to go and see them at some point - Roll Over Lay Down (and a few others) were always a guilty pleasure...! 

• Like 1

On 20/05/2024 at 22:08, SteveXFR said:

Is it possible to do the foot on the monitor thing with a multi scale 5 string?

As long as you are wearing Spandex anything is possible.

In answer to the question my first experience of playing bass in a band was pretty much classic rock - my first gig was using a borrowed bass 2 weeks after joining the band and we did a 2 hour slot.  Never really struggled to play something that fits even if I can't actually play the song properly.  

I'm not actually sure what constitutes classic rock these days - in my head it's the 60s/70s/80s stuff but the average pub set list these days is playing 30 year old songs which surely must be classic by now.

I joined a newly created, classic rock band, a couple of years ago. I hadn't played that style of music before but knew a lot of the set from my teenage years.

It was more difficult for the guitarists than myself but to recreate some of those songs, to a decent standard, wasn't a piece of cake for me. 

They had a couple of Richie Kotzen tunes in the set, with basslines that were definitely not easy.

There was also a Gary Moore, called Wild Frontier, that never repeated itself twice, which took forever to learn.

Hopefully the band you're playing with will stick to the AC/DC, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy end of the classic rock spectrum.

Classic rock tends to be album tracks that everyone has heard but no one ever really remembers who the band is or what the song is called.

Plus Sweet Home Alabama.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, TimR said:

While Status Quo songs are only two and half minutes long, and you only have to learn 3 notes, and if it's not a tribute you don't even have to wear double denim.

But what most people forget is that cover bands don't like two and half minute songs - there will undoubtedly be extra choruses, extended guitar solos and god forbid, crimes against crimes; - The Satatus Quo Medley. 

Caroline, Down Down, Rockin' All Over the World plus some obscure number that only the guitarist knows. 

A Point of Order. Rockin' All Over The World is a John Fogerty song, and therefore it is totally legitimate to play it 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gjones said:

I joined a newly created, classic rock band, a couple of years ago. I hadn't played that style of music before but knew a lot of the set from my teenage years.

It was more difficult for the guitarists than myself but to recreate some of those songs, to a decent standard, wasn't a piece of cake for me. 

They had a couple of Richie Kotzen tunes in the set, with basslines that were definitely not easy.

There was also a Gary Moore, called Wild Frontier, that never repeated itself twice, which took forever to learn.

Hopefully the band you're playing with will stick to the AC/DC, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy end of the classic rock spectrum.

I just want to know which Richie Kotzen songs you were playing in a covers band in a pub?? I wouldn't mind seeing that...! 

Might be interesting to share some setlists? This was ours for last Saturday, with appended notes... with two exceptions these are songs WE want to play, rather than chosen to please an audience.

War Pigs ... (sort of mashup between the original and the shorter Foo's version)

White Room

What is and What … (only works when you know you have a 'rock' audience.

Pressure & Time

Wishing Well

Cross-Roads

Devil Woman

All Along The Watchtower

Simple Man

Black Night

Hungry Like the Wolf ... (In the style of Reef's version, but the whole song)

Sex Bomb ... (In the style of Mystic Prophecy i.e. 'German power metal band')

Paranoid

20th Century Boy

We Gotta Get Outta This Place ... (In the style of Alice Cooper's version, but the whole song)

Sex on Fire ... (Just to keep everyone happy)

Saturday Nights All Right ... (Well it was Tyson v Usyk afterwards, but we love this anyway)

Rock and Roll

Dakota  ... (we're in Wales, at least one Phonics song is obligatory).

Sympathy for the Devil

Crazy Little Thing Called Love ... (we ran out of time as we'd already gone past the 11.00 curfew)

Interesting how 9 songs = 45 minutes, I think we'll fit another one or two in as we get slicker with the changes, this was the first gig for this line-up and only our 3rd gig. Pub's reaction "Thanks guys sounded amazing.. we look forward to having you again. Xx" 🙂

• Like 3

4 hours ago, peteb said:

I just want to know which Richie Kotzen songs you were playing in a covers band in a pub?? I wouldn't mind seeing that...! 

Fooled Again and Warpaint. We never did play them to an audience, as the band broke up due to the members other commitments.

Richie Kotzen plays all the bass on his solo stuff and is pretty darn good.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I saw Kotzen with his solo band in a small club in Leeds about fourteen or fifteen years ago. He was really good, but perhaps not the greatest frontman in the world! Seriously talented though - I reckon he's an even better singer than he is a guitar player! 

Beware, not all of his albums are great and he does seem to repeat himself a bit (inevitable really when you're putting out as much product as he was at one point). But his good albums are very good (Peace Sign, 40 Deuce, Live in San Paulo, etc) and some of the songwriting is top class. I rather liked the first Mr Big album he was on (Get Over It) as well... 

Edited by peteb

33 minutes ago, peteb said:

I reckon he's an even better singer than he is a guitar player! 

Certainly on a par, I think he has a large dollop of Chris Cornell in his voice, no bad thing IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Certainly on a par, I think he has a large dollop of Chris Cornell in his voice, no bad thing IMO.

There are very few finer than Chris was.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Yea, I can see that, with maybe a touch of Glenn Hughes (but without all of the over-singing)... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Sex Bomb ... (In the style of Mystic Prophecy i.e. 'German power metal band')

Paranoid

I bet that's epic. I just thought you'd listed the Mystic Prophecy version of Paranoid until I actually engaged my eyeballs. We used to play Demon's Blood alongside our own lower-tuned songs and I reckon most people thought it was another original.

• Like 1

I think that playing metal or hard rock is a bit complex than classic rock, so if You played metal and want classic rock - it will not make problems. That is what happened to me - i played a lot of genres before like jazz, funk latin, acid jazz, fusion, classic rock, but could not play good at hard rock rehearsal. Of course - it always depends specially on You.