Why become a member? ×

Eurovision

I just watched the UK entry.  WTAF?  It's honestly no wonder the public vote gave him zero.

Some of the posts on X are priceless.  One person posted something along the lines of, 'Oh, why can't we just enter a nice song, performed by someone with a decent voice, nice clothes, sparkly shoes, backing singers doo-bopping.'

Got a point.  I'd rather this than five blokes dressed as boxers dry-humping each other.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

I just watched the UK entry.  WTAF?  It's honestly no wonder the public vote gave him zero.

Some of the posts on X are priceless.  One person posted something along the lines of, 'Oh, why can't we just enter a nice song, performed by someone with a decent voice, nice clothes, sparkly shoes, backing singers doo-bopping.'

Got a point.  I'd rather this than five blokes dressed as boxers dry-humping each other.

Sounds plausible, but would actually classed as a hate crime nowadays. 

Switzerland's winning entry made history by being the first victory for a non-binary contestant.  Yet another reason to celebrate.

The year Sam ryder came second was brilliant. And I mean that in the way everyone knew Ukraine would win so they all voted for the UK so we would have to host the next ridiculously expensive event without the glory of winning. It was a Europe wide stroke of comedy genius :)

Year after, back to nil points. Which made it even funnier! :)

If I were the UK act I would have a tee shirt printed with EXPECTED written on it, then when the famous nil points were announced I would reveal said tee. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the UK entry forgot that EV is supposed to be a fun, camp family show and not an advert for Grindr . I can imagine kids asking "why is that strange man putting his microphone in that other mans mouth mummy ?" I'm surprised it went through without anyone questioning it before thb

14 hours ago, Doctor J said:

There is no resentment felt across Europe for Britain,

I read that and 14 hours later I'm still chuckling.  I've worked in every single European nation other than the Vatican and that is simply poppycock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

...winning entry made history by being the first victory for a non-binary contestant.  

With all due respect, there's probably been past winners who pre-date these tags and pronouns.  It's hardly history-making, winning something on the basis of votes.  Nobody will even remember him/them/whatever in a few days.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

I read that and 14 hours later I'm still chuckling.  I've worked in every single European nation other than the Vatican and that is simply poppycock.

where'd  you say anti-Englishness is quite rife?  As 50% Italian I spend a good amount of time back in Italy. I don't sense much Anglophobia there then again nor is there much Anglophilia either. In Spain, especially along the Med coast there's currently little love for the English so I bet the Spanish public gave the UK entry a resounding 'sin puntos'.

Edited by Barking Spiders

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

Switzerland's winning entry made history by being the first victory for a non-binary contestant.  Yet another reason to celebrate.

I wanted to reply that was probably Conchita Wurst, but apparently she is actually Tom Neuwirth, who identifies as a gay man in drag - who famously kept their beard intact during their outings in drag. 

I watched it this year as I do every year, because Mrs Buccaneer loves it. It’s trash, we all know it’s trash, so we have a drink and laugh at how appalling it all is.  

And yes, the U.K. entry was laughably bad. I’m surprised it received any points at all from the judges. Pathetically bad but also lacking the charm that some other horrendously rubbish entries have historically used to their own advantage.

The UK entry is chosen by the BBC in an internal process. It doesn't seen very transparent. 

Anyway, it's not aimed at middle aged straight white men. If it was, we'd get an incredibly boring song that would sit comfortably on a CD of driving songs sold at Christmas and Father's day with a photo of Jeremy Clarkson on the front. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TimR said:

Anyway, it's not aimed at middle aged straight white men. If it was, we'd get an incredibly boring song that would sit comfortably on a CD of driving songs sold at Christmas and Father's day with a photo of Jeremy Clarkson on the front. 

Are middle aged straight white men incapable of an exciting song then?

As for Eurovision this year I didn't bother, possibly the first time in years I haven't seen any of it.  From what I've read I didn't miss much.

I didn't watch it as I was out, but I'm glad we got nowhere, as I don't feel comfortable with my country being represented by that dross. It's all about show and not about music these days anyway. The contest seems to be so 'inclusive' they are acutely excluding those that don't fit. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TimR said:

it's not aimed at middle aged straight white men. If it was, we'd get an incredibly boring song

Not if I chose it!

We still wouldn't win, unless the Eurovoters are into crazed electric jazz with metal overtones...

2 hours ago, la bam said:

The year Sam ryder came second was brilliant. And I mean that in the way everyone knew Ukraine would win so they all voted for the UK so we would have to host the next ridiculously expensive event without the glory of winning. It was a Europe wide stroke of comedy genius :)

Year after, back to nil points. Which made it even funnier! :)

Sam had stage presence, charisma, talent, and, most importantly, a really good song. He deserved his spot. When the UK delivers the goods, people vote for us. Most of the time we don't! 

Olly's song was forgettable, had no hook or memorable chorus, and, yes, the general homo-eroticism of the performance might have turned some people off. The staging was cool though. 

Switzerland earned their win. It was the only song with a proper "earworm" hook, and the staging was incredibly clever. And I also liked the Croatian entry - like a more poppy Rammstein. Ireland's Bambie Thug was also a great, very original performance and a good song. They're actually pretty talented - if you look on Youtube, you'll find videos of them performing some of their songs solo on piano, and they're great. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, TimR said:

I'm talking about viewer demographic. 

Are middle aged straight men incapable of listening to interesting music then?

I assume they make up the sizeable chunk of the audience at most of the gigs people here play.  

3 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Seems to me this demographic is the hardest to be in. I could one more criteria but i won’t go there. 
i see other groups moaning they can’t get what they want when they want and demand it, but they can play the card and get it. What do we have? Nothing other than be accused of certain things if we do want something. 

Apologies, i realise that’s a bit off topic. 
if the mods want to delete this post i wont mind, but it would prove my point 😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nicko said:

I assume they make up the sizeable chunk of the audience at most of the gigs people here play.  

While the Eurovision/Ant and Dec/Come Dancing demographic are at home.

It seems a bit odd that musicians, who are calling for a bigger audience and bemoaning the lack of decent venues, are now complaining that there's no decent Saturday night TV. 🤣

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I see other groups moaning they can’t get what they want when they want and demand it,

Generally because if we want something we just go and get it, or get our mates to sort it out for us.

I'm not asking for Eurovision to be better. If people want to sit at home watching TV - let them, I'm out watching, or playing, or doing something. Saturday night infront of the TV is not my idea of fun. 

Edited by TimR

I stopped watching traditional TV channels some years ago.

It wasn't a concious decision one day I just realised that my entire TV consumption had moved to 'on demand'

The only time Eurovision is even on my radar is when I see the inevitable threads on here or elsewhere online.

I'm quite suprised, given how much TV viewing habits have changed in the last decade, that it's still seemingly such a big thing and that people are apparently so passionate about it, those who dislike it as much as those who love it.

As a non viewer I'd say it's probably doing something right purely on the grounds that a concept and format that hasn't really changed for decades hasn't just quietly faded into utter obscurity.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TimR said:

It seems a bit odd that musicians, who are calling for a bigger audience and bemoaning the lack of decent venues, are now complaining that there's no decent Saturday night TV. 🤣

I think saturday night TV has always really been the same for the same people.

• Like 1