Why become a member? ×

Songs without guitar solos

Hi all. 
I am an intermediate bass player in what you can describe as a mid life crisis dad band. We generally play punk, ska and rock covers. Vocal, drum, bass, rhythm guitar and lead guitar. The usual thing. 
we are all mates and it’s generally for fun plus the odd small gig. 
unfortunately our lead guitarist is poor. Never gets through a solo without messing it up. 
what I am after is songs in those genres without solos or very easy solos. 
Any ideas?

ty

The dreadful Lip Up Fatty

That's Entertainment

Monkey Man

Message for you Rudi

Just a few songs from a former band whose guitarist/singer was not just not a lead guitarist, he was probably the worst guitarist in the band (as he would be the first to admit).

11 hours ago, upside downer said:

You wouldn't go far wrong with a few Ramones tunes.

Yes, one of the Johnny Ramones 'rules' was no guitar solos.

On the occasional Ramones song which had a guest solo, Johnny did not play it, or any other solo, live.

• Like 1

Much of The Jam’s output didn’t feature guitar solos, or were pretty minimalist: Town Called Malice; David Watts; Going Underground; etc.

Edited by ezbass

On 21/04/2024 at 18:23, sadders said:

Hi all. 
I am an intermediate bass player in what you can describe as a mid life crisis dad band. We generally play punk, ska and rock covers. Vocal, drum, bass, rhythm guitar and lead guitar. The usual thing. 
unfortunately our lead guitarist is poor. Never gets through a solo without messing it up. 
Any ideas?

ty

If you wanted to go a bit heavier then there are no solos on the whole of Metallica's St Anger album.

Edited by asingardenof
Got the name of the album wrong

Play some Primus - you’ll have a LOT of fun on the bass, and Ler’s guitar parts are so unorthodox your guitarist can pretty much play anything and most punters won’t be able to tell the difference! 😄

• Haha 1

On 21/04/2024 at 18:23, sadders said:

Hi all. 
Any ideas?

ty

Tell him to practice more?

Paranoid by Black Sabbath is pretty easy to play, straight pentatonic in two positions. Most of Iommi's solos sound more complicated than they are.

A lot of Nirvana songs have little more than a one line melody as a solo on one string Come as You Are is probably about as easy as it gets.

If you want to up your bass game Californication or Can't Stop by RHCPs are both pretty simple.

Guitarist in my 3-piece covers band is an excellent rhythm guitarist and also plays pretty mean slide, but he's no sort of lead guitarist and it doesn't bother him. Or us.

We play a wide range of pop/rock hits from the 60s/70s/80s and we just leave out the guitar solos.

You'd be amazed how few people notice, even when the missing solo is allegedly 'iconic', e.g. Let's Dance.

2 hours ago, Nicko said:

Paranoid by Black Sabbath is pretty easy to play, straight pentatonic in two positions. Most of Iommi's solos sound more complicated than they are.

When I joined the current band, one of the two guitarists was the one who chose to play the intro to Paranoid. I have never ever heard it played wrong before that. Had we not sacked him, I would have refused to include it in the set as it was so dreadful. Not only was the phrasing wrong, he didn't even play all the right notes.