Why become a member? ×

Country Meowsic

I’ve always had a soft spot for country, mainly via bands with Americana sound like Wilco, early Band of Horses, Jason Molina etc. 

Plus, I’ve always loved Cash, Nelson et al. 

Then on the more modern side I’ve enjoyed records by Caitlin Rose and Kacey Musgraves etc. 

However, I’ve only recently shown an interest in playing country. 

On the flip side, I have no time for the awful blues rock, boot stomping, flag waving stuff. No offence, but ain’t for me. 

I’m just all about the heartfelt yearning. 😁

I love the simple root and 5th use of country bass.

So here’s my question(s) -  what bassists should I be looking to study in the country/alt country scenes? 

Who else loves a heartfelt country jam? 

Do all your ex’s live in Texas?

Edited by Nothingman

I’ve always hated country music with an absolute vengeance. 
Then I was in America and went into a bar playing live country music and my jaw was on the floor… what musicianship! 
Not that this helps you but total respect. 

Check out Jimmie Lee Sloas, Glenn Worf, Mike Brignadello, Michael Rhodes, David Hungate, Dave  Pomeroy, Mike Chapman, Roy Huskey Jr., and Bob Moore. 

Their album credits read like a Country music greatest hits.

• Like 2

A few years ago my bro sent me.a YouTube from some dude who must be doing ok selling shows. Never heard of him and can't remember his name.

Dude doing country music with a jazz band backing him and making it work. Very listenable. Ace trumpet player etc doing jazz solos over cowboy blues.

After those mentioned in @Doddy' comment you might try Dolly Parton, Trisha Yearwood, Emmylou Harris, and my all time favourite, Linda Ronstadt (BTW: check her version of Esperanto with Don Grolnick on p). Their bassists have to be very good if they are even half as good as these ladies.

• Like 1

I worked with several decent country bands on the Irish scene around North London back in the '80's, I'd never played this type of music before and it certainly took me a while to realise playing good country bass is a bit of a dark art.

I think if you're approaching it from a rock or pop background then you're going end up doing a parody of it to begin with, as it seems too simple to be true, but then you start to realise that getting the exact feel and locking in absolutely with the drummer is essential.

For bass, maybe try playing notes that fall on the first beat of the bar fractionally late but playing the offbeat notes right on the beat. You might think of this as a reversal of usual rock or pop principles. And it helps a great deal if you're working with a drummer who has a country music background as if you're lucky they'll already have the right feel you can easily lock into.

I'm sure other opinions will be available on here regarding approach, but in any case relax and have fun, and as others have said on here, when it's played spot on it really can be excellent.  🙂 👍

• Like 4

There were a number of really good local country bands packing out the London pubs in the 70’s and early 80’s. If you were any good you could easily get 7 nights a week. Most I managed in the late 70’s was a regular 4, mainly because I had to get up for work in the morning. The mortgage was grateful for the money though. Some amazing guitarists in those bands, including Albert Lee who I saw often. 

• Like 1