Why become a member? ×

What exactly did You did after Your last gig ?

At the last gig I talked to a few punters, packed the car up, said goodbye to the promoter / stage crew and then drove to the Travelodge around the corner. 

4 hours ago, nilorius said:

Hmm....looks like most of You pretty much like to get lost as soon as possible 🤪

It depends - usually I'm driving, but if not I will have a couple of beers while packing down and talking to punters / promoters, etc. The last couple of gigs have been as above, but the one before that we were hanging out in the hotel bar for a couple of hours until it closed, chatting with the rest of the band and any punters still around (including a drunk Scottish couple, both ex-military, neither of whom we could understand except that the bloke kept telling us that we were 'magnificent' in an extremely thick Glaswegian accent). 

Edited by peteb

I remember a memorable gig at the Jericho Tavern in Oxford...

We had this gang of twenty something lads (the Bromley Boys) who used to follow us, and being a bit influenced by our own craziness, all dressed up as women. However, this meant they all looked like the Monty Python crew in their lady-guises.

I was just loading out my bass amp (still dressed in my wedding dress with black stripe painted vertically over my nose) when two local blokes came running past with the biggest Bromley Boy, Malc, looking the spit of John Cleese, in hot pursuit brandishing an iron bar and shouting "We're from faahkin Laaaaahndon!"

Never found out what it was all about, we just got in the van with our obligatory Jack Daniels...

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I remember a memorable gig at the Jericho Tavern in Oxford...

We had this gang of twenty something lads (the Bromley Boys) who used to follow us, and being a bit influenced by our own craziness, all dressed up as women. However, this meant they all looked like the Monty Python crew in their lady-guises.

I was just loading out my bass amp (still dressed in my wedding dress with black stripe painted vertically over my nose) when two local blokes came running past with the biggest Bromley Boy, Malc, looking the spit of John Cleese, in hot pursuit brandishing an iron bar and shouting "We're from faahkin Laaaaahndon!"

Never found out what it was all about, we just got in the van with our obligatory Jack Daniels...

I think they just wanted to say - living in London is very good (an extazy tabled messed it all up) !!! 😆

Nowadays rather boring. Pack up, beer (or rum at drummers house), then home for marmite on toast and a wind down. . 

But if I may reminisce for a moment.. 

In the 90s at a gig in Aberdeen I was doing the sound for, me and the lighting guy somehow ended up at a local party, drinking JD sat on the roof (as in through the sky light, on the ridge) with a couple of locals, happy pills then ended up walking through Aberdeen old docks at 6 in the morning to watch an amazing sunrise. I can still see it now. 

I'll not mention Amsterdam.. 

Oh how times have changed 

10 hours ago, nilorius said:

Hmm....looks like most of You pretty much like to get lost as soon as possible 🤪

That about sums it up. In my case, I own the PA, so have to break it down, get it all in the car, drive home and unload it all. Can't have a drink as I'm driving, so hanging around listening to people who've had a few talking b*ll*ocks is not my idea of fun. I'd rather get home, put the gear away, put my feet up and open a cold one in the comfort of my hovel.

Whatever the gig, the bass guitar(s) get put away first, then the rest of my kit. I'll help anyone else in the band (usually removing amps/ speakers etc from the stage). Once everything is packed away, it depends on the venue. A pub usually wants you out as quickly as possible so they can get on with closing, so it's a quick thank you to the boss and off. If there's another act on after us, I would normally be polite and watch a bit of their set. Often at clubs we're chatting to the punters post gig as we're loading up the van and I won't rush that as they may be the influential members that get us a repeat booking. 

If we're all in the van, the BL (driving) usually goes for a burger on the way home and we sometimes share the chips (just to help him out 😃). If it's me on my own, I'm home as soon as possible with the TV on, a cuppa and some chocolate biscuits to wind down.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Went home and checked t'Interweb for bad grammar and punctuation.

(... and, for pedagogic reference, it should be 'What exactly did you did do after your last gig..?' :friends:...)

Even then 'most recent gig' would be better than 'last gig', except for those really ending their playing career, but that's simply pedantry. -_-

I'm disappointed you not posting no police grammar vehicle.

• Like 2

1. If I’m wearing stage clothes, change into my street clothes.

2. Pack up.

3. Drive home.

Looking back over my 30+ year gigging life there have been very few exceptions to this. On one recent occasion that required a hotel stay, I joined a couple of band members in a nearby pub just in time for last orders. That single pint had me up 4 times in the night for a pee. You will not be surprised to learn that I have zero tales of post-gig excess and debauchery…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I returned to bass playing around 2010 and ever since I wanted to play in a band again, but I can't think of anything worse than gigging late night packing up worrying about parking close to the venue, having my gear stolen etc. When the first covid restrictions were lifted I went to a pub gig and watched the band packing, they seemed to pack their own gear. Maybe it was their arrangement. If it was me gigging , I'd get a lightweight cab, and me gone before the singer says thank you to punters.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Went home and checked t'Interweb for bad grammar and punctuation.

(... and, for pedagogic reference, it should be 'What exactly did you did do after your last gig..?' :friends:...)

Even then 'most recent gig' would be better than 'last gig', except for those really ending their playing career, but that's simply pedantry. -_-

Shouldn’t that be “poor grammer usage and incorrect punctuation “? :)

• Like 1

Thankfully, we are blessed to have kind souls among us who will quote us, make a minor edit to our text and say "Fixed!" in a patronising way which is never, ever as irritating as a painful rectal itch.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Thankfully, we are blessed to have kind souls among us who will quote us, make a minor edit to our text and type "Fixed!" in a patronising way which is never, ever as irritating as a painful rectal itch.

Indeed. -_-

• Like 1