Why become a member? ×

4 Ohm 2x12 Cab options

Hi 

I am looking around for a 2x12 cab at 4 Ohm to run with my MarkBass Blackline 250 Watt amp.  

Any opinions and ideas are welcome. I am a cheapskate so not looking for high-end options. 

I have been using a GK MB115 combo (200w 4 oHm) for electric bass (functions / weddings), and find it copes pretty well up to a point, but there is not a lot of headroom. 

I am looking at using both the GK combo and the 2x12 cab/Markbass head, especially as this means I have a backup if one fails. 

Do you think I can gig without PA support using just the 2x12/ amp/cab setup?

Would an 8 Ohm 2x12 be any good? (It would only get around 150w)

I don't gig too much with electric bass, so I don't have much opportunity to try things out. Also, for the same reason I don't want to spend much. 

250W seems underpowered for a 2x12".  Nothing wrong technically as such, but it seems inefficient to be lugging around a large cab that you can't then make the most of.  As for mixing cabs, it is indeterminate whether the MB115 will sound good in combination with your choice of 2x12".

Instead of ending up with three pieces of gear, potentially none of which will go that well together, how about selling the MB115 and LM250 and picking up a more-powerful head which is better matched to the 2x12"?

Or - buy a second MB115 (or 115MBP if you can find one - the discontinued powered extension).  Having two combos also provides the backup you mentioned.

2 hours ago, adriansmith247 said:

Would an 8 Ohm 2x12 be any good? (It would only get around 150w)

Don't fall into that trap. Sound levels aren't measured in watts, they're measured in decibels, and there's no direct correlation between them. A 4 ohm cab may give slightly better results than 8 ohm, but just as watts don't tell the entire story neither do ohms. The potential issue with a 4 ohm cab is that it leaves no option to use two of them unless you have a 2 ohm capable amp.

Do you think I can gig without PA support using just the 2x12/ amp/cab setup?

I gig with a 1x12. But that's my 112, and they're not all created equal. 😉

My point is you can't know the result just from watts, or ohms, or the size and number of drivers. I always take a test drive before buying a car. It should be the same with a cab.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

250W seems underpowered for a 2x12".  Nothing wrong technically as such, but it seems inefficient to be lugging around a large cab that you can't then make the most of.  As for mixing cabs, it is indeterminate whether the MB115 will sound good in combination with your choice of 2x12".

Instead of ending up with three pieces of gear, potentially none of which will go that well together, how about selling the MB115 and LM250 and picking up a more-powerful head which is better matched to the 2x12"?

Or - buy a second MB115 (or 115MBP if you can find one - the discontinued powered extension).  Having two combos also provides the backup you mentioned.

Some sensible advice, thanks.

I spent years gigging with a 100-watt head and Marshall 15 cab, and then an 80-watt Peavey combo, that I still think 250 Watts is a lot. 

It does depend on the cab though as Bill points out. 

Hi,

Plenty of options if you are fixed on a 4 Ohm 2x12” cab,  please let us know: - 

1) Budget 

2) Weight expectations

3) Used or just New?

4) The MB blackline 250 is only around 275mm (11inches) wide.

Do you use it on its own? or in a 19” rack case or other wide enclosure? only asking as it may overhang some narrow cabs making it aesthetically undesirable 😊

Thanks Neil

• Like 1

It all depends on the style of music, size of venue and loudness of the band. I use a G&K MB500 with either the Basschat BC112 or a GK 2 x 10" adding a GK 1 x 15" if needed. Both 8 ohms so the amp will deliver around 300W in theory. The EA micro will put out about 300W into 8 ohms for comparison. You say you don't want to spend too much, but one idea, as suggested above would be to sell up and consolidate on one rig (plus spare as backup) which would be compact, light weight and do everything you need. The BC112 is a great cab and anything by barefaced would meet your needs and sound great for both upright and electric bass. I would suggest the markbass may be a bit underpowered, maybe look at something that will do 300W into 8 ohms and 500W into 4 ohms in case you need a large venue rig without good PA support.

• Like 2

I used a genzbenz neox 212 cab...fabulous cab!!...built in wheels and only 47lbs in weight...unfortunately not that easy to find now...I only sold it to go to separate 12s for a more modular setup.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, basstone said:

The BC112

@stevie designed the BC112 and now runs LFSys. The Monaco and Silverstone cabs are the direct descendants of the BC112. One is more than enough. 

Pair that with most small class D heads and you are good to go. 

• Like 4

There are a lot of options for 4 Ohm 2x12. A lot of 12" drivers seem to be only availble in 8 Ohm ratings, and the options for wiring them together are limited.

I have an EBS Neo 2x12 . It's a great sounding cab and very sensitive - quoted as 103dB. I used it with an LM2 for a while and it was a great combination.

When I got it it was unfeasibly light at 24 Kg. Time has moved on so I guess it's no longer a true lightweight but I can still lift it with one hand.

• Like 1

Once again, someone who is "not looking to spend much" is being recommended Barefaced, LFSYS and similar...

I know. Buy once and cry once is the ideal, but some simply cannot afford to do so.

• Like 3

On 14/03/2024 at 09:50, BassAdder60 said:

Easy Ampeg SVT212AV 

one of the best 2x12 cabs around 

My assumption is that you have one, and that you like it. That's all well and good. But it's not loaded with premium long excursion drivers, and the 71Hz -3dB is underwhelming.

Once again, someone who is "not looking to spend much" is being recommended Barefaced,

The above mentioned Ampeg sells for 700 quid. The BF Super Compact is another 150, but that may be money well spent when it has the same capability as the much larger Ampeg. As for not wanting to spend much without question that means used. Another advantage to that is being able to try it, as one should only consider buying from a seller within easy driving distance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The above mentioned Ampeg sells for 700 quid. The BF Super Compact is another 150, but that may be money well spent when it has the same capability as the much larger Ampeg. As for not wanting to spend much without question that means used. Another advantage to that is being able to try it, as one should only consider buying from a seller within easy driving distance.

Completely agree, Bill. I wouldn't recommend the Ampeg either in this case, but didn't want to repeat my point. It does grate a bit that, when someone seeks advice on here along the lines of "I'm a newbie/occasional player/don't have much to spend. Recommend me gear", the Greek chorus piles  in with "Buy Barefaced, LFSYS, GR, Aguilar, etc. Nothing else is worth looking at".

Yes, premium gear is great. I'm fortunate to own some myself. But some just cannot afford to push the boat out that far. Others are occasional players who don't want or need the best, just something that will do the job.

You always offer sound (no pun intended) advice on here, which I appreciate.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Completely agree, Bill. I wouldn't recommend the Ampeg either in this case, but didn't want to repeat my point. It does grate a bit that, when someone seeks advice on here along the lines of "I'm a newbie/occasional player/don't have much to spend. Recommend me gear", the Greek chorus piles  in with "Buy Barefaced, LFSYS, GR, Aguilar, etc. Nothing else is worth looking at".

Yes, premium gear is great. I'm fortunate to own some myself. But some just cannot afford to push the boat out that far. Others are occasional players who don't want or need the best, just something that will do the job.

You always offer sound (no pun intended) advice on here, which I appreciate.

If cash is an issue try TCelectronic

Their 2x10 an 2x12 seem to perform well wherever I've seen them used.

@adriansmith247, do you want to go for new or used? Used means having to hang around until the object of desire comes up in the second-hand market so how urgent is this? Do you need a cab with a tweeter? How vital is it to have a 2x12 rather than two 1x12s or a 2x10? What's the budget? Do you intend to upgrade the Markbass amp at some point?

• Like 1

I often see the Ashdown VS212 cheap in the region of £100-£200 - however never tried one, would be interested if someone on here has? 

Specifications · Power Handling: 300 watts · Speaker Configuration: 2 x 12" · H x W x D (mm): 710 x 490 x 340 · Weight (kg): 31

This one for example is an 8 Ohm 300W, for  £120, not sure if they did a 4 Ohm version though and higher power than 300W? 

Thanks Neil 

Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 16.49.27.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 16.49.37.png

• Like 1