Why become a member? ×

Matching the strap to the bass?

Please excuse this post if I ramble a bit. I've have a little more Merlot than I intended and if I'm not here I'd be looking at things I don't need on ebay.

Does anyone else agonise over getting the perfect strap for each bass (or guitar) they own?

...or is it possibly an ASD thing?

I own more straps than I own instruments as I have in the past upgraded when I find one better suited for a specific instrument. As an example my main gigging basses — the trio of JMJ mustangs use these Perris suede straps with a sheepskin comfort pad — I have two blue and one black to match the JMJs.

81p4G3Gt96L._AC_SL1500_.jpg71uQvy4697L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Several of my other instuments have leathergraft 'comfy' suede straps in various colours to match. These are my go-to if the instrument's colour matches an available strap colour, but I also have other brands.

In the absense of availability of orange suede straps I've settled with red comfy straps for my competition orange squier mustang bass & guitar as the competition stripes on these are red.

The colours I have most trouble matching are lake placid blue and Pelham blue so I haven't found anything I'm really happy with for my LPB Squier bass IV or Gibson thunderbird non-reverse in faded pelham blue. I'm currently using a black stretchy comfort strapp with the thunderbird.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 8

Yeah it’s exactly right, quite surprised as the red of my bass is actually quite dark. I’ll bookmark the ones you have just in case I ever buy a JMJ! I think RightOn do a blue one which might match, too. 

I live a matching strap but also cannot do a strap that clashes. Hence I normally go for black. I think this red one is the first coloured one I’ve had for ages!

I only have two straps... a generic black leather one with buckles that goes very well with the black Spector, and a Maruzsczszcyk one in the 'retro' finish that goes nicely (albeit not a match) with the burst of the Shuker and Sire. More by accident than design.

All my straps are made by Heistercamp: black on the outside and lined with smooth leather on the inside that is a colour to match (or at least tone with) the relevant bass.  As all the basses are different shapes I find this the easiest way to ensure the right strap goes on the right bass.

I appreciate this is a first world solution....

• Like 1

Black, irrespective of bass to be used. Only variation is I use a Mono GS1 Betty for rehearsals as they’re 3hrs with the bass whereas for gigs, which are 45mins max I use a Jim Dunlop nylon strap as it looks better.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

This is possibly the coolest thing ever. It could only be improved by racing stripes on the bass. 

😊 Thanks Rich, the bass pre-dates the racing stripe 'competition' mustangs so I had them on the strap instead. I actually switched the strap in the pic for a slightly wider one but the same colour. They're really nice straps!

I have a rather plentiful supply of straps as I put Schallers on almost all my instruments (bass and guitar), and as Schaller strap buttons are incredibly expensive I would buy an entire straplock set and a strap to go with them, giving some thought to coordination. The one thing I have to beware is that since the S-locks came out, not all of my older straplocks fit the S-lock equipped basses so I need to check before leaving the house.

I have the blue Perri's strap on my Pelham blue Jack Casady. 

The blue against blue, and sheepskin against cream plastics couldn't match better if it had been designed for this bass. Even the tan suede rear is a nod to the browns of the knobs and natural woods. 

kLoWM7p.jpeg

• Like 14

22 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

The colours I have most trouble matching are lake placid blue and Pelham blue so I haven't found anything I'm really happy with for my LPB Squier bass IV or Gibson thunderbird non-reverse in faded pelham blue. I'm currently using a black stretchy comfort strapp with the thunderbird.

I'm surprised the Perri's one doesn't match your Thunderbird. The Jack Casady is Faded Pelham Blue and it's almost bang on. Admittedly FPB does appear different colours in different lights but it's still close. 

Just goes to show how different instrument colours are from different manufacturers, even when they're called the same thing. 

Does this count, black strap on black bass? 

Skinny Hofner style in black leather with cream sheepskin pad to match the homemade cream plastics on my Club. 

Not the best photo of the strap but it's already in my album. 

yqJb4xL.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Maude said:

Does this count, black strap on black bass?

of course it counts

1 hour ago, Maude said:

I'm surprised the Perri's one doesn't match your Thunderbird.

The thunderbird lives in its case and the blue mustangs live in their gigbags, so I must admit it hasn't occurred to me that the mustang strap might be suitable for the thunderbird as Daphne blue is lighter than Pelham blue, but I'll check it out and if they are a good match I'll have to get another blue Perri's.

Looking at your JC makes me think it probably will be a match.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard