Why become a member? ×

Rock n' roll hall of fame 2024.....scraping through the bottom of the barrel

Many might be surprised at just how big a touring band The Dave Matthews Band are; they sold over 23,700,000 tickets in 2022 and grossed $1,080,000,000 (yes that is the correct number of zeros... billion +) from touring along.  

It's not a competition and it doesn't make them 'good' but that's impressive!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, chris_b said:

A pat on the back for a successful career in music seems like a good idea to me.

I'm not so sure that it is. On some level, art should be its own reward and the fact that you've been successful and made a lot of money pursuing your art should be recognition enough! The RRHOF is really just an exercise to generate a relatively small amount of income to those who own the brand, not to mention create rather meaningless controversy on social media. Also, this hall of fame concept is really linked to the stats driven approach that the yanks insist on applying to sports. It's all very American! 

However, if such an institution is to exist, then I have no issue with Foreigner or Oasis being in it... 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

You ask why certain artists/bands are in the Rock n' roll hall of fame, well maybe the answer is in the name, "Hall of Fame".

It's not about whether you, me, or anyone else likes the artists/bands who are in there, I'm not particularly into any of the artists/bands you mentioned either, but I know of them because they are famous because their music, so I guess that some of these "famous" artists/bands will make it into the "Hall of Fame".🫢

• Like 2

I'm saying nothing other than to agree wholeheartedly with this:

19 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Music is not competition.

and this:

16 hours ago, neepheid said:

It's all opinion, innit?

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

Of course, the OP will be turning down their invitation to the RNRHOF.  In this perpetual race to the bottom they describe, the committee will get round to the OP eventually, right?

He turned them down in 1990, as it was the year after the year the music died.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Her 1991 album Heart of Stone, which has Turn Back Time and Jesse James on is excellent, all the songs are great, it’s one of my fave albums.

Rather a strange admission from someone with such a punk rock background...! 😉

30 minutes ago, TimR said:

She's probably easily the most famous. 

I doubt there's anyone who hasn't heard of her. 

Dunno, you could say pretty much the same for Peter Frampton, Foreigner, Mariah Carey and Ozzy. They are all big household names, especially in America... 

9 minutes ago, peteb said:

Rather a strange admission from someone with such a punk rock background...! 😉

Well although punk is my main thing I’ve a quite varied taste in music, am def not one of those “it’s not punk it’s shxt” types (have hung around with enough of those over the years).

I’ve just watched TOTP 1978 and really enjoyed Darts, Kate Bush and Gerry Rafferty.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chris_b said:

No. He's a ignorant foul mouthed moron. That's it.

Maybe, but he is undoubtedly a "Rock 'n' Roll Star" and he's never sort of an opinion. In this instance, he may actually be right! 

I will take the RRHOF seriously when they unanimously induct the likes of Kim Mitchell and King's X. Until then, its just a shallow marketing exercise and no real indication of quality. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

On 29/02/2024 at 11:41, chris_b said:

But success, which is the whole point, is not.

Nail on head. It is the Rock & Roll Hall of FAME, not artistic merit, musical accomplishment, talent etc. 

• Like 2

Isn't the hall of fame just a misguided extension of a sports halls of fame?

I understand the desirability of a baseball or whatever HOF in the era when footage didn't exist or wasn't easily rewatched - greats and their achievements could easily be forgotten. But for music, in the recorded sound era, surely it just becomes a distasteful self-congratulatory irrelevance?

Of course, there's also the highly unbecoming bickering re which current/past members are admitted or get to play

I do feel for the Ramones though, who seemed to spend a significant part of their later career and post-band life resenting not being in the HOF when clearly their influence was seismic. Of course, their sales were relatively meagre, they were still touring in a bus and many of their best lps were out of print - a band ripe for recognition in the pre-internet, pre-streaming, pre-cool music on major TV shows era. 

I dunno. If it makes more people listen to Jane's Addiction or gives some validation to people who have barely made a living despite making great music, who am I to object?

12 hours ago, peteb said:

I will take the RRHOF seriously when they unanimously induct the likes of Kim Mitchell and King's X. Until then, its just a shallow marketing exercise and no real indication of quality. 

But that's the whole point. It's a Hall of FAME, not a Hall of Quality. It's entirely about being well-known by yer average punter. I've been deeply involved in music of all (well, very many) genres since the early 80s, but I still had to google Kim Mitchell. 'Quality' is a whole lot more subjective than 'Fame'.

So I fear the back-slapping canapé-infested sleazenight is going to remain on your ignore list, as it will on mine TBH. 

• Like 2

A large portion of the the inclusion these days incorporates the fan vote, so it's not solely about the faceless committee or self congratulatory importance of those making the decision of which inductees to select.

Mark

9 hours ago, Rich said:

But that's the whole point. It's a Hall of FAME, not a Hall of Quality. It's entirely about being well-known by yer average punter. I've been deeply involved in music of all (well, very many) genres since the early 80s, but I still had to google Kim Mitchell. 'Quality' is a whole lot more subjective than 'Fame'.

So I fear the back-slapping canapé-infested sleazenight is going to remain on your ignore list, as it will on mine TBH. 

But is it just about fame? Iggy Pop is famous, and is also, very influential. But he didn't sell that many records and therefore has never got the call. Similarly, someone mentioned the Ramones above, who didn't get indicted until after all the original members had died. On the other hand, Foreigner are pretty famous, sold tons of records, yet never got critical acclaim and have only been nominated as they finally undertake their final tour and the BL / last original member has just been revealed to have some pretty serious health problems. 

The whole thing is nonsense and seems to be based on what a certain type of cowboy boot wearing, 75 year old thinks is retrospectively cool. As you say, it will remain on my ignore list, unless of course, they invite me to the ceremony, where I will be there sitting at the same table as your good self...! 😉 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1