Why become a member? ×

Pino Palladino on the Questlove Supreme podcast

Thanks for posting, huge Pino fan here but I have to say this is unfortunately yet another podcast hosted by a person who thinks it's all about themselves. 

I'd estimate the majority of this interview consists of the interviewer sharing his own thoughts and poor old Pino, one of the most experienced, influential and respected bass players in the world, is barely able to get a word in at times. 

Would be great if this could be edited down to a shorter interview which actually focussed on what the great man (Pino, not the other guys) has to say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EJWW said:

Thanks for posting, huge Pino fan here but I have to say this is unfortunately yet another podcast hosted by a person who thinks it's all about themselves. 

I'd estimate the majority of this interview consists of the interviewer sharing his own thoughts and poor old Pino, one of the most experienced, influential and respected bass players in the world, is barely able to get a word in at times. 

Would be great if this could be edited down to a shorter interview which actually focussed on what the great man (Pino, not the other guys) has to say.

Two things here. Pino is notoriously interview shy and isn’t the type to run off story’s like a Guy Pratt. So as a podcast host you would have to fill in the space.

Secondly, the host is Questlove who is much more famous than Pino.

To hear both share their experiences together was great. The bass questions were tedious but apart from that I thought it was engaging.

• Like 2

Watched it on YouTube and enjoyed it- thought the banter between QL and pino was not dissimilar to their musical relationship really. Most importantly for me, being a card carrying fanboi of the place was the fact that his first session was at Rockfield, just a 20 minute drive from mine.

Really enjoyed this, Pino is obviously a quiet guy but you got a real sense for his passion and skill. To walk into the Who gig with a couple of charts and a 24 hours to learn it all without a full band rehearsal is quite amazing.

Immediately started googling precisions and flatwounds 😄

Edited by NJE
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

I guess this form of memory loss is the brain's way of protecting one's self from past trauma.

It was that album that lured me to the bass side, I even saw Paul and The Royal Family on the No Parlez tour, at The Lyceum in London, it was a great gig.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

I guess this form of memory loss is the brain's way of protecting oneself from past trauma.

I did a session with an engineer who recorded Pino. Apparently Pino’s top priority was obtaining a suitable surface for his rolling mat…..

• Like 1

Watched this earlier today. Pino and paul Jackson are my fav bass players. 

i enjoyed the convo. The soulquarian era (adding Roy Hargrove, Jill scott and pino) shaped my ear as a teen. They all worked on each others albums as they was in the same studios.  It took me years later to realise all of them and how much J dilla was apart of the era. 

10 hours ago, NJE said:

Really enjoyed this, Pino is obviously a quiet guy but you got a real sense for his passion and skill. To walk into the Who gig with a couple of charts and a 24 hours to learn it all without a full band rehearsal is quite amazing.

Immediately started googling precisions and flatwounds 😄

LOOOOL

whats interesting is he said the voodoo bass had la bellas. I thought he always used thomastik infeld flats! Either way his a legend. 

him talking about playing light made me pick up my bass. Turned up the amp a tad and I was surprised I’ve not noticed how sweet the tone is. I normally go funk finger style all the time. 

Listened to all of this in installments. It's like when you go to the pub with a mate but he's got his other mate there and they talk about things you weren't part of and can only relate to a little bit. I had to search out "Voodoo" and will now give it a listen but not knowing that album or it's history made the vast majority of that podcast just background noise, sadly. I'd have loved to hear more about some of his pop work in the 80s and the experience of playing with the Who but it was barely touched upon, unless during parts where I fell asleep. 

28 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Listened to all of this in installments. It's like when you go to the pub with a mate but he's got his other mate there and they talk about things you weren't part of and can only relate to a little bit. I had to search out "Voodoo" and will now give it a listen but not knowing that album or it's history made the vast majority of that podcast just background noise, sadly. I'd have loved to hear more about some of his pop work in the 80s and the experience of playing with the Who but it was barely touched upon, unless during parts where I fell asleep. 

To be fair, it's a US podcast and he's maybe not so well known for his 80s pop work over there.

It's a shame Questlove & Co. were so chatty. I want to know how he got around his broken flatwould predicament, but they changed the subject just as he got to the pay-off.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

The voodoo album was one of the key landmarks of the “neosoul” movement. D’angelo one of the prominent figures with his first album “brown sugar”. 

so many timeless songs on voodoo to this day. The kind of album that crafted an era. 

If you have the time sit and listen to the whole album from start to finish. 

enjoy 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Also check out "Mama's Gun" album by Erykah Badu.  He's not on every track, but the majority.  He and Questlove were part of the Soulquarians who played on a lot of early NuSoul stuff in the 00s.  Love him.

Thanks to @pineweasel for posting the podcast - listening now.

• Like 2

On 05/02/2024 at 22:03, soulstar89 said:

LOOOOL

whats interesting is he said the voodoo bass had la bellas. I thought he always used thomastik infeld flats! Either way his a legend. 

him talking about playing light made me pick up my bass. Turned up the amp a tad and I was surprised I’ve not noticed how sweet the tone is. I normally go funk finger style all the time. 

Rocco Prestia also advocated the light touch and it does not get much more funky.

• Like 1