Why become a member? ×

This community

Rayman

3 hours ago, JoeEvans said:

I owned one bass guitar only for thirty years or so, then started coming on here for some double bass info. In the last year I've bought two bass guitars, thanks to the amazing wisdom of this forum which has taught me that buying more and more basses is an entirely normal activity. 

Yes this place has cost me a bob or two as well. But I’m not complaining. I’ve picked up a lot of useful information and had a lot of fun here. 

• Like 2

I agree to all that's been written so far.

Thanks to this site, I have a Pbass Special, a bass I've always wanted, in the colour I've always wanted. (I dont play it, of course, JMJ Mustang all the way lol)

I've learnt about In Ear Monitoring, which wireless mic to buy etc etc.

Lots of people here with good advice and easy to deal with sales and trades

Keep it up chaps

• Like 2

If I lived a little closer I’d be all over the classifieds.
And I’d have a selection of Barefaced cabs.

I did manage to find a lightly used cab in Quebec , and have become a believer.

• Like 1

An example of how ace Basschat is....

I asked for recommendations for a clean DI, someone offered to lend me a really nice pedal to see if I liked it.

He's not selling it, he just... offered to send me a 200-odd quid pedal to play around with for a bit!

You don't get that on twitter.

• Like 9

I had a similar thing when I asked about the Nux mighty plug pro, within minutes someone messaged me offering to lend me their one, they wasn’t selling it and said I could try it for as long as I wanted and post it back when done, such a heartwarming offer from a fellow basschatter 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I had a similar thing when I asked about the Nux mighty plug pro, within minutes someone messaged me offering to lend me their one, they wasn’t selling it and said I could try it for as long as I wanted and post it back when done, such a heartwarming offer from a fellow basschatter 

It’s the way the world was (and still could be!) if we started trusting people. There’s the odd bad egg, but you meet far more good ones.

• Like 4

A friend used to have a record shop , he loved old rock and roll (Jerry Lee Lewis) he hated the Grateful Dead. I remember once walking into his shop , and there he was , sitting behind the cash register , smoking , cup of coffee in hand , and a huge grin. He explained that some kid had just tried to sell him some Grateful Dead bootlegs and he had just finished tossing the guy out of the shop.

He said “ Misanthropy is it’s own reward”

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chris_b said:

Not always so great. I asked for an open-ended loan of an Alembic and no one bothered to reply!!

I must have missed that post. I have 5 stringer that is up for sale and would have replied. 

• Like 1

On 28/01/2024 at 15:54, 40hz said:

The community and behaviour on Basschat is top of the tree compared to anything else. People are 99.9% of the time helpful and friendly, whatever the discussion.

I've only ever had a bad run in with a couple of people (one of which is now banned) who were the type that get weirdly aggressive off the bat to innocuous comments, but other than that, a totally flawless time on this fine site. In 13/14 years, that's actually quite astounding, and a testament to the mods too. 

Particular shout out to the way people approach newbie questions here - on the 'other' site people, again, get weirdly aggressive over questions that may have been asked before. I detest the 'do a search' mentality - conversation is the lifeblood of forums and we on Basschat have the right attitude to newcomers and oldies alike.

Good work all!

+1 to the above...

And to so many of the other posts too.. And thanks to @Rayman for such a great post! 👍😊

I've lost count of the times I've said to people how I wished something like Basschat had existed when I first starting playing bass in my teens (which was a long time ago..). 

Gotta say @ped and @Kiwi really did something good when they started this - and the fact that it's still going is amazing IMO..! 

In terms of 'bad run ins' and confrontational or contentious posts etc anyone remember Big Beef Chief??

Those were the days.. 😂🤣😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

In terms of 'bad run ins' and confrontational or contentious posts etc anyone remember Big Beef Chief??

Those were the days.. 😂🤣😂

I thought Beefy was amusing and annoying all at the same time.