Why become a member? ×

"Sirerays" listed on Andertons (and probably other places)

neepheid

19 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

To be honest I feel the opposite, The 'Ray looks all wrong and the elongated top horn on the Sire will place the bass in a more playable position, and help with the balance. In my opinion the Stingray pickup is in an unusable position. However, if you consider the bass a percussion instrument, you may well disagree.

I am going as I might have outstayed my welcome here..

Not outstayed your welcome at all! I love Stingrays, but appreciate not everyone does, and it doesn't suit every setting which is why I have other basses. 

I was interested in these as a cheapish possibility to try out a  Stingray style bass but those controls and the J pickup are a deal breaker for me 

I only use my V7 fretless in passive because I'm not keen on the preamp, there's just too much going on for me personally to quickly dial in a tone and start playing.

The Sireray looks like it would give me the same issue.

13 minutes ago, Cato said:

I was interested in these as a cheapish possibility to try out a  Stingray style bass but those controls and the J pickup are a deal breaker for me 

I only use my V7 fretless in passive because I'm not keen on the preamp, there's just too much going on for me personally to quickly dial in a tone and start playing.

The Sireray looks like it would give me the same issue.

Only the Z7 has that.  Get a Z3?  Cheaper, and no pesky J pickup to distract - less knobs too!

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I watched the Anderton video where they were on the Sire stand and to be honest the only thing I got a bit moist over was the matte black Larry Carlton L3, I've already enquired whether (if I bought one) they could get me a tortoiseshell scratchplate (which Sire do on the goldtop version.  £349.00.  It's perfect.

L3BKSP90-_MG_7003.JPG?auto=format

• Like 1

On 25/01/2024 at 19:53, uk_lefty said:

Me too. I really wanted to like these, my number 1 bass is a stingray, but I think there is something just not quite right. The Horn is too long, body too wide, pickguard too short and narrow, and that jazz pickup?!?!  Also, no lefties listed which is odd for Sire. The 24 fret jazz however is really drawing me in.

I think the horn is the same length, or maybe fractionally longer. It looks longer because the bottom horn is MUCH shorter 😵‍💫

1 minute ago, NancyJohnson said:

I watched the Anderton video where they were on the Sire stand and to be honest the only thing I got a bit moist over was the matte black Larry Carlton L3, I've already enquired whether (if I bought one) they could get me a tortoiseshell scratchplate (which Sire do on the goldtop version.  £349.00.  It's perfect.

L3BKSP90-_MG_7003.JPG?auto=format

Sweet baby jesus and the orphans! That seems to have caused me some trouser problems 😍😍😍🔥🔥🔥

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

I love the jazz pickup having never got on with a single H. Horses courses

I'm sure it sounds good but to me it just looks odd the way Sire have changed the pickguard and body shape.

15 minutes ago, sammybee said:

Sorry as a Stingray player, I find these just look plain wrong. It's a no from me

To be fair, I don't think they're aimed at you.  I'd imagine any official Stingray aficionados will give these a wide berth. They're for chancers like me who are interested in the idea and vague spirit of a 'Ray but are in no way interested in paying the price of USA models or the top end SBMM offerings (of which I've already opined about how ridiculous I find their pricing).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

Not the best picture, but I think the body shape of the SireRay isn't as jarring in real pictures. Not as convinced by the single cut.....

Sire-Guitars-Basses-1200x800.webp

Looks better in the flesh by the look of it. Quite digging the black sparkle Z3.... 😍👌

• Like 1

I think this is quite exciting, I tried a Sterling Sub Stingray 4 HH recently in a shop and was not impressed with the build quality, was priced locally at £469.99. As an owner of a Sire M2 I am a fan of their stuff and feel like these might make a better budget option, especially with the extra jazz pickup.  Originally thought they weren't for me, even though I love the sound, but I picked up a 90's Stingray with a very slim neck last year whilst visiting someones house and really liked it and it completely changed my mind. Which StingRays have the jazzy neck vs chunky?  I dunno .....

Regarding the Sire Z7, a little disappointed the neck is not slimmer, although i understand this is entirely personal preference, if they bring out a version with a neck like the one on my M2 (38mm) and once we confirm it can do a good impression of a Stingray growl, I will deffo get one :)

This clip suggests it sounds pretty good!

Edited by Jolltax
Added the YT clip
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Jolltax said:

I think this is quite exciting, I tried a Sterling Sub Stingray 4 HH recently in a shop and was not impressed with the build quality, was priced locally at £469.99. As an owner of a Sire M2 I am a fan of their stuff and feel like these might make a better budget option, especially with the extra jazz pickup.  Originally thought they weren't for me, even though I love the sound, but I picked up a 90's Stingray with a very slim neck last year whilst visiting someones house and really liked it and it completely changed my mind. Which StingRays have the jazzy neck vs chunky?  I dunno .....

Regarding the Sire Z7, a little disappointed the neck is not slimmer, although i understand this is entirely personal preference, if they bring out a version with a neck like the one on my M2 (38mm) and once we confirm it can do a good impression of a Stingray growl, I will deffo get one :)

OK, that sounds the part (or at least close enough) and doesn't look as "obese" in the hand.

Really like the sound of the single cut too:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jolltax said:

Thats pretty cool in the flesh even with the obese neck 😆 

On 25/01/2024 at 19:53, uk_lefty said:

Me too. I really wanted to like these, my number 1 bass is a stingray, but I think there is something just not quite right. The Horn is too long, body too wide, pickguard too short and narrow, and that jazz pickup?!?!  Also, no lefties listed which is odd for Sire. The 24 fret jazz however is really drawing me in.

Lefties now appeared at Andertons.

• Thanks 1

On 25/01/2024 at 19:08, SurroundedByManatees said:

Looks like an obese Stingray. 

I don't think I'll be tempted to get one. 

I prefer the body shape of these to the real deal, I even quite like it.

I do however agree with the people who pointed out that 42mm nut width is too wide, and that the headstock looks weird, ugly even.

I would have preferred a 38mm nut and a 2+2 headstock.

I know the real Stingrays got 3+1 headstocks, but even though I never liked that configuration either they at least do look better. Also I fail to see the point with copying that detail.

Sure the idea is to have a Stingray sounding budget bass alternative on the market, rather than a fake Stingray lookalike, cause if the latter is the case then they failed miserably on other points. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 28/01/2024 at 19:50, neepheid said:

To be fair, I don't think they're aimed at you.  I'd imagine any official Stingray aficionados will give these a wide berth. They're for chancers like me who are interested in the idea and vague spirit of a 'Ray but are in no way interested in paying the price of USA models or the top end SBMM offerings (of which I've already opined about how ridiculous I find their pricing).

Right there with ya buddy 😆 

• Like 2