Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Rex Brown Thunderbird Bass

Yeah saw that….. expensive….. but everything is at the moment.

It’s weird that the full fat Gibson version (which is very expensive) doesn’t even have the pickups Rex likes in it…. very odd. It’ll be interesting to see how the Epi version measures up… I haven’t read the spec yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Who's going to pay this much for an Epiphone?  This is as bonkers as some SBMM pricing...

Seems to be the way Gibson are going with the brand.

The recent Epiphone Korina Flying Vee and Explorer models were only a couple of hundred quid cheaper than the equivalent Gibson models.

There's been a few Epiphone models over the last year or so at 1k plus.

I reckon the Epiphone brand is being repositioned into the upper mid range price bracket while US Gibsons are undergoing corresponding dramatic price increases.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the more budget end of the range, whether they keep the Epiphone branding across the range or introduce something new to seperate the cheaper models from the 1k+ models.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 3

In this scenario I presume they're just going to jack (pardon the pun) up the price of the Jack Casady, seeing as it's their flagship product.  This sucks.

Just playing into the hands of the likes of Sire, who will occupy the vacant hole in the price range left by moves this.  EBMM/SBMM have already done goofed and the Sire Z3/Z7 is coming along soon to occupy the Ray and Ray-a-like space between HB and the likes and SBMM.  Epiphone will vacate next and if a Sire "T-bird-a-like" doesn't appear soon after I'll be very surprised.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1

Ok, I'm going to try to be objective about this.

On the plus side (versus a regular 60's/Vintage Pro Thunderbird):

It comes with a hard case.

It has a Babicz bridge (although the picture on Thomann's site has a classic three pointer on it)

It has a brass nut.

It's got a famous person's scribbles on it.

Is that enough to justify the uplift?  Maybe.  The amount you'd need to spend to get a regular 60's/Vintage Pro up to this spec wouldn't be too far off.  OK, I'll shut the hell up now.

• Like 1

No, no, no.....! FFS...

Noone wants an overpriced Epi Rex bird! If you're a Rex fan you know his sound is Spector. That's where your money goes.

Why doesn't Gibson just reintroduce the Grabber, Ripper and G3, with cheaper high quality Epiphone versions (under £1k). THAT'S what the market is asking for! 

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, cetera said:

No, no, no.....! FFS...

Noone wants an overpriced Epi Rex bird! If you're a Rex fan you know his sound is Spector. That's where your money goes.

Why doesn't Gibson just reintroduce the Grabber, Ripper and G3, with cheaper high quality Epiphone versions (under £1k). THAT'S what the market is asking for! 

This! So much this! 

An Epi Grabber is coming though. But without the sliding pickup :dash1:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

This! So much this! 

See, they can't even get the BASICS right! Who the hell is in charge of project development at Gibson?!? And they wonder why people buy Chibsons etc....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

This! So much this! 

15 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

This! So much this! 

ooh? Really?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, neepheid said:

It comes with a hard case.

It has a Babicz bridge (although the picture on Thomann's site has a classic three pointer on it)

It has a brass nut.

It's got a famous person's scribbles on it.

Is that enough to justify the uplift?  Maybe.  The amount you'd need to spend to get a regular 60's/Vintage Pro up to this spec wouldn't be too far off.  OK, I'll shut the hell up now.

I honestly applaud you trying your best be objective there! 🤣 But nah, those ‘extras’ ain’t even slightly justifying that price tag for me.

I was fortunate to pick up what looked to be a barely used 60s/Vintage Pro T-Bird a few months back, with a hard case for less then a third of the price of this, and they’re SUCH good basses. 

Totally get the inflation stuff, it’s obvious everywhere, but the pricing of this is just dumb, irrespective of that side of things and particularly given how good the 60s/Vintage Pro basses are at a fraction of the cost. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, christhammer666 said:

i am in the gear abstinence list please remove this post at once lol

Isn't the ridiculous price enough to save you from purchase? ;)

• Like 2

On 16/01/2024 at 20:50, Cato said:

Seems to be the way Gibson are going with the brand.

The recent Epiphone Korina Flying Vee and Explorer models were only a couple of hundred quid cheaper than the equivalent Gibson models.

There's been a few Epiphone models over the last year or so at 1k plus.

I reckon the Epiphone brand is being repositioned into the upper mid range price bracket while US Gibsons are undergoing corresponding dramatic price increases.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the more budget end of the range, whether they keep the Epiphone branding across the range or introduce something new to seperate the cheaper models from the 1k+ models.

People are paying the money for them though although it does seem to be sigs and short runs mostly. A mate of mine is currently looking for a single pickup Firebird and made an £800 offer on a Joe Bonermaster sig he saw on eBay, it eventually sold for £1.1k. Another mate has his LP sig which now goes for a couple of hundred more than he paid new for it, I've played it and it's no better than a Korean LP Epi you can pick up any day of the week.

It's weird and I don't like it.

• Like 1