Why become a member? ×

Lies, damned lies and statistics

3 hours ago, LowB_FTW said:

I'd say Iceland is doing very well considering there's only a population of around 370,000 or so.

Mark

Well.....yes
(Adenoidal whine ensues.....)
Technically, it's all a question of ratios...... 'per million' would mean there are over 1400 metal bands in Iceland (529bands per 0.37million)

5 hours ago, SPHDS said:

Well.....yes
(Adenoidal whine ensues.....)
Technically, it's all a question of ratios...... 'per million' would mean there are over 1400 metal bands in Iceland (529bands per 0.37million)

That's not how I read it. It's 529 bands per million inhabitants. Iceland would have 529 metal bands were there one million inhabitants there. Since Iceland doesn't have one million inhabitants, it suggests there are about 196 metal bands in Iceland for a population of 370,000, no?

• Like 5

Without seeing the map, I thought it's got to be Finland 😁

The only downside about Finland is that if you find a black metal band from there, it's best to assume they're Nazis first and then be pleasantly surprised, rather than hope for the best and then be inevitably disappointed later.

• Haha 1

I've worked in Finland and Iceland, and went out with a Finnish lass for a while (she's now a government minister, so my influence must have been a good one ;) ) and its true to say they do like their heavy metal. And not just run of the mil, metal, but often quite extreme forms of the genre.

On the plus side, the UK has more boy bands and Britons Garotte Takent wannabes than it ihas people.

• Like 2

I was married to a Finn, and lived and worked there for 16 years. Heavy Metal was definitely popular, but so was traditional folk music, blues, etc. But it's safe to say that the most popular form of music in Finland has to be Finnish polka.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, FinnDave said:

I was married to a Finn, and lived and worked there for 16 years. Heavy Metal was definitely popular, but so was traditional folk music, blues, etc. But it's safe to say that the most popular form of music in Finland has to be Finnish polka.

Ah! Might that explain the user name?  

Must be down to the 6 months of darkness they get every year.

What the poll doesn't acknowledge is that during the summer 6 months of light, Finland has the highest number of Simon and Garfunkel tribute bands.

• Haha 5

Just now, Bassfinger said:

Ah! Might that explain the user name?  

Most definitely! When I started using forums I was still living over there, and there a lot of Daves on line, often differentiated by their country or state, so I chose FinnDave and have stuck with it even though I returned to the UK over 14 years ago. 

• Like 2

I do like a good number of Finnish metal bands, but they tend to be on the more melodic end of the genre spectrum. I think the songs sung in Finnish sound great, but sadly, with the exception of a few rude words learned from Alexi Laiho interviews, I have very little idea what's being discussed. I've not noted any dodgy symbolism and they seem like nice enough sorts, so hopefully no objectionable politics in there. Last month was time to break out the Raskasta Joulua playlist - the only Christmas music I've ever had any time for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Must be down to the 6 months of darkness they get every year.

What the poll doesn't acknowledge is that during the summer 6 months of light, Finland has the highest number of Simon and Garfunkel tribute bands.

On a truer side of things, the Finnish education system gypsy's kisses over ours from a great height which will inevitably lead to a better informed populace of critical thinkers.

Maybe this is why they have to make a loud noise to express their angst?...and I'm sure the darkness contributes....🤔*

*this rambling wondering of utter generalisation is brought to you by my first coffee of the day, accompanied with a thousand yard sleepy stare.

4 hours ago, Doctor J said:

That's not how I read it. It's 529 bands per million inhabitants. Iceland would have 529 metal bands were there one million inhabitants there. Since Iceland doesn't have one million inhabitants, it suggests there are about 196 metal bands in Iceland for a population of 370,000, no?

Fair point.....oops.....'orry!
(Blame being half asleep....)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, miles'tone said:

On a truer side of things, the Finnish education system gypsy's kisses over ours from a great height which will inevitably lead to a better informed populace of critical thinkers.

That's generally acknowledged to be true, but it can't be that good or they wouldn't have employed me as a teacher there!

I spent a short time (maybe a month or so) in a local (Oxfordshire) Nightwish tribute band. I was asked to join, and did so as I knew that Nightwish was a Finnish band, and the operatic style vocalist lived in the same small town (Kuusankoski) as I did, though not at the same time.

I left the band when I realised that I couldn't stand the music!

• Haha 4