Why become a member? ×

Once upon a time it was just folk, rock, pop, country, blues.

Cliff Edge

According to Spotify Bronx drill, ambient lo-fi and gym phonk were the three biggest growing genres on Spotify in 2023. What the hell is phonk?

Apparently there are over 6000 genre classifications on there. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67111517?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

• Haha 1

I once spent half an hour in the Rough Trade shop in Ladbroke Grove trying to work out which micro-genres the CDs I wanted to buy would be in. In the end it was quicker to hand the person behind the counter a list of what I was after and let them look. It turned out they only had one out of the 10 CDs I wanted to buy and it was categorised in such a way I don't think I would have found it on my own.

I really don't care about genre. AFAIAC there is just music I like and music I don't like. In the shop it's much easier to find it everything is simply arranged alphabetically by artist.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 8

'I just like good music' is all well and good, but there are over 100 million songs on Spotify alone (about 600 years of constant listening) and 60,000 songs added to it every day, so you need some way of focussing in on finding what you want to hear and genres/sub-genres are a reasonably simple way to do it.

Even if we were limited to a few genres like folk, rock, pop, country, blues (it'd be a boring world if we were!), Country alone has been sub-catagorised into long list of sub-genres (at least according to Wikipidia).  

• Alternative country
  • Americana
  • Cowpunk/Country-punk
  • Gothic country
  • Roots rock
  • Australian country music
  • Bush band
  • Bakersfield sound
  • Bluegrass
  • Old-time bluegrass/Appalachian bluegrass
  • Traditional bluegrass/Neo-Traditional bluegrass
  • Progressive bluegrass/Nu-grass
  • Bluegrass gospel
  • Bro-country
  • Canadian country music
  • Christian country music
  • Classic country
  • Coastal Country
  • Country and Irish
  • Country blues
  • Country en Español
  • Country folk
  • Country pop/Cosmopolitan country
  • Country rap/Hick-hop
  • Country EDM
  • Country rock
  • Cowboy pop
  • Cowboy/Western music
  • Dansband music
  • Franco-country
  • Gulf and western
  • Hokum
  • Honky tonk music
  • Instrumental country
  • Lubbock sound
  • Nashville sound
  • Countrypolitan
  • Neotraditional country
  • New country
  • Old-time music
  • Outlaw country
  • Progressive country
  • Rockabilly/Neo-Rockabilly
  • Psychobilly/Punkabilly
  • Gothabilly/Hellbilly
  • Southern rock
  • Southern soul
  • Sertanejo music
  • Talking blues
  • Traditional Country music
  • Truck-driving country
  • Cowboy/Western music
  • New Mexico music
  • Red dirt
  • Tex-Mex/Tejano
  • Texas country
  • Progressive country
  • Western swing

Phonk and Bronx Drill are just a sub-genres of Hip-Hop, partly characterised by location and sound/lyrical themes (Phonk uses choped beats, Drill tends to be dark with street/gang lyrics), the sub-catagories are probably quite uesful for people really into that music.

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, SumOne said:

'I just like good music' is all well and good, but there are over 100 million songs on Spotify alone (about 600 years of constant listening) and 60,000 songs added to it every day, so you need some way of focussing in on finding what you want to hear and genres/sub-genres are a reasonably simple way to do it.

Even if we were limited to a few genres like folk, rock, pop, country, blues (it'd be a boring world if we were!), Country alone has been sub-catagorised into long list of sub-genres (at least according to Wikipidia).  

• Alternative country
  • Americana
  • Cowpunk/Country-punk
  • Gothic country
  • Roots rock
  • Australian country music
  • Bush band
  • Bakersfield sound
  • Bluegrass
  • Old-time bluegrass/Appalachian bluegrass
  • Traditional bluegrass/Neo-Traditional bluegrass
  • Progressive bluegrass/Nu-grass
  • Bluegrass gospel
  • Bro-country
  • Canadian country music
  • Christian country music
  • Classic country
  • Coastal Country
  • Country and Irish
  • Country blues
  • Country en Español
  • Country folk
  • Country pop/Cosmopolitan country
  • Country rap/Hick-hop
  • Country EDM
  • Country rock
  • Cowboy pop
  • Cowboy/Western music
  • Dansband music
  • Franco-country
  • Gulf and western
  • Hokum
  • Honky tonk music
  • Instrumental country
  • Lubbock sound
  • Nashville sound
  • Countrypolitan
  • Neotraditional country
  • New country
  • Old-time music
  • Outlaw country
  • Progressive country
  • Rockabilly/Neo-Rockabilly
  • Psychobilly/Punkabilly
  • Gothabilly/Hellbilly
  • Southern rock
  • Southern soul
  • Sertanejo music
  • Talking blues
  • Traditional Country music
  • Truck-driving country
  • Cowboy/Western music
  • New Mexico music
  • Red dirt
  • Tex-Mex/Tejano
  • Texas country
  • Progressive country
  • Western swing

Phonk and Bronx Drill are just a sub-genres of Hip-Hop, partly characterised by location and sound/lyrical themes (Phonk uses choped beats, Drill tends to be dark with street/gang lyrics), the sub-catagories are probably quite uesful for people really into that music.

Well, that's my next rehearsal sorted. 🤣

I tend to think of the seemingly infinite amount of modern subgenres as a a sort emperors new clothes/gatekeeper thing.

There's a relatively tiny number of music fans  having conversations and arguments amongst themselves about how exactly to label and file every music act on the planet.

Meanwhile the rest of the world just listens to stuff they like.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, No lust in Jazz said:

As a Spotify account holder I would like to add that Spotify and its algorithms aren't all that. I am sure that its genre invention machine will be wasted on me. Paraphrasing @BigRedX There's music that I like and music that I dislike

This is exactly how I feel, I was simply amazed at the figures. And who is it that names these genres and sub genres and what criteria is used in the process?  Or do they just contact the artist and ask what the hell they’re playing at?

4 hours ago, Cliff Edge said:

And who is it that names these genres and sub genres and what criteria is used in the process?

Actually it's me. I work for Spotify under the moniker of Genre and Subgenre Nomenclature Officer. The criteria used are me chucking darts at dictionary pages.

Smooth Wotocheshede Tech Slam is next in line for a nanosecond of fame, blink and you'll miss it.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Actually it's me. I work Spotify under the moniker of Genre and Subgenre Nomenclature Officer. The criteria used are me chucking darts at dictionary pages.

Smooth Wotocheshede Tech Slam is next in line for it's nanosecond of fame, blink and you'll miss it.

Actually, you really should. :) 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I get the point of genres, they have done wonders for attracting listeners to my most recent bands, but the more "specific" they become the less useful they are, and a lot of the time the subdivisions are fairly subjective anyway.

So true. 

Having recently taken the decision to step down from 46 years of gigging, but looking for a bit of a hobby project to play with other musicians, I occasionally look at the JMB ads.   Have to say I’m entirely bemused by most of the genres mentioned; shoegaze, post hardcore, alt country, sludge metal, etc. etc    

Whatever happened to mods and rockers?    All this were fields when I were a lad, y’know......🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Music evolves. 

It'd be more accurate to say that b/s evolves. All this "genre" tripe is invented by music journo's who can't play but are desperate to carve out a career in music and make it appear that they know something. Judgemental? Dismissive? Me? You bet.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

There are so many genres out there that I’ve never heard of, someone sent me this once, you select a type and it normally gives you some samples, it’s almost endless 

https://everynoise.com/everynoise1d.cgi?root=russian reggae&scope=all

As I saw there are also German special genre links listed, I'll take a closer look at the list the next few days to see if that's true.;)

Edited by eloisa

5 minutes ago, eloisa said:

As I saw there are also german special genre links listed, I'll take a closer look at the list the next few days to see if that's true.;)

I flicked through some of the German and Italian reggae songs  , Croatian hip hop has some good beats 

49 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

It'd be more accurate to say that b/s evolves. All this "genre" tripe is invented by music journo's who can't play but are desperate to carve out a career in music and make it appear that they know something. Judgemental? Dismissive? Me? You bet.

You feeling alright? 

4 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Having recently taken the decision to step down from 46 years of gigging, but looking for a bit of a hobby project to play with other musicians, I occasionally look at the JMB ads.   Have to say I’m entirely bemused by most of the genres mentioned; shoegaze, post hardcore, alt country, sludge metal, etc. etc    

Whatever happened to mods and rockers?    All this were fields when I were a lad, y’know......🤔

Those genres have been around for most of your gigging years though!