Why become a member? ×

Biker Rally, how much to charge?

mep

Following our successful gig last weekend for a Harley bikers private party at a local pub we have been asked to headline at a Rally next year but we are not sure what to charge, although it will be our fee plus expenses.  I'm trusting the BC collective will be able to help? We'll look at the expenses which will involve travelling from Torbay to Southampton in a hired van. We can camp or stay at a nearby Travelodge. What would be a reasonable fee for our 4 piece band? Although there are other bands we have to bring our own PA, which is a bit annoying, but ok.

• Like 1

Best be clear if you are the sound crew as well as the headliners. Big difference.

This doesn't sound like an established biker rally with someone in charge of the entertainment who is engaging bands, crew, security, staging, power yada yada yada....

Be wary or you might be showing up and they ask you where your generator is.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Best be clear if you are the sound crew as well as the headliners. Big difference.

This doesn't sound like an established biker rally with someone in charge of the entertainment who is engaging bands, crew, security, staging, power yada yada yada....

Be wary or you might be showing up and they ask you where your generator is.

Years ago a band I was in got booked to play a bike rally. Big stage, big PA, lighting rig, lots of people. We were 20 seconds into soundcheck when the power went off. They reset it, and it happened again, then again. I asked to see where they were running power from and traced a single long extension back to an outbuilding plugged into a single 13 amp socket. We got paid, but no bands played that night. Rob 

• Like 1

I`m going back to about 2009 when a band I was in played a scooter rally. We had to provide full backline and PA, but the gig was indoors (the rally was at some clubhouse in Kettering) there was power etc. We were paid £400 I think, plus free camping - as the bands name was The Daves our 4 tents became Camp David.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. We don't know if it will be indoors or a marquee, but wull heed advice on the power supply. It sounds a but low key if each act has to bring all their own equipment. We won't be supplying anything for others. 

• Like 1

Harley riders are not your average bikers. The ones I see are usually retired (sometimes early) with money to spend. If they wanted my band to travel a significant distance, hire a van, stay overnight and bring all the band's gear, including a PA, with us, then I'd be wanting to make it worth my while. I'd be asking for a grand at least.

I have friends who play at the Thunder In The Glens biker rally and they charge £1,000.

But of course you may be desperate to play at a Harley Rally in which case you may charge less, it's up to you.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, gary mac said:

I would be wary about leaving a van load of gear in a Travel Lodge car park. A fair few bands have learnt the hard way, doing just that.

Good advice. Last time we stayed in one, the guitarist called ahead and the manager there allowed us to put all the gear in a locked room overnight. It was opposite the reception which was operated 24/7.

Assume this was at her discretion, but it was excellent service:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

Years ago a band I was in got booked to play a bike rally. Big stage, big PA, lighting rig, lots of people. We were 20 seconds into soundcheck when the power went off. They reset it, and it happened again, then again. I asked to see where they were running power from and traced a single long extension back to an outbuilding plugged into a single 13 amp socket. We got paid, but no bands played that night. Rob 

I have had something very similar. Played a multi band charity festival in the grounds of a friends small farm. Pro sound engineer, PA & band etc all powered from a long extension lead from the kitchen! Fortunately it all went OK

• Like 1

It would make no sense for every band to bring a PA then take the whole PA down between sets and put the next one up. If you've got a decent PA I would be inclined to offer to run the PA for the day and do sound for all the bands, and charge them £2k. They could then pay the other bands a bit less each so they wouldn't be out of pocket, the day would run much more smoothly, and you could hire a decent sound engineer for £400 for the day and split the rest between you.

• Like 4

It's a legitimate club with around 2000 members, with an annual membership fee of £35. So doesn't seem to be a massive budget thing but also isn't a bunch of chancers. However these clubs are usually headed up by a committee so tend to have quite a lot of inertia when it comes to making decisions. Looks like they do it every year and have a few spread out in different regions. 

I'd firstly make sure you're talking directly to the organiser and not someone who is just making enquiries about what you would charge. 

That way you get all the information and can negotiate. Once you have all the information, only then can you put a fee forward and make sure you include terms and conditions regards the PA use and your arrival and departure times. 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, mep said:

Some good replies thanks. They are organising a few around the country. This is s flyer for one nearer to home for us.

IMG-20231129-WA0002.jpg

Get the money up front before you set up.....

Just like Chuck Berry used to :)

Edited by gjones
  • Like 1

I've played for the Harley Riders Club of GB a couple of times at their rally on Mersea Island. I think we got £300 for a 6 piece band, that included a round trip of about 50 miles and setting up our own PA.  They're a great crowd , very enthusiastic.

At that time I think they did their own organisation. It now looks as though they've outsourced it.

• Like 2

The supply your own PA concerns us as our modest pub PA won't fill a marquee very well. I'm guessing they don't want to hire a PA and engineer for weekend, despite it being a better experience for bands and guests.

Found this photo online from last year from the venue on the flyer. Can't tell what PA set up the band has but it's a decent sized marquee.

20231129_182259.jpg

Screenshot_20231129-185540_Google.jpg

Edited by mep
  • Like 1