Why become a member? ×

Studio Etiquette

cheddatom

I run a recording studio in Stoke and I thought it might be good to document some of the more amusing episodes, and get other perspectives on it too

I've done some work with a local band. They book me as a producer, but as soon as they arrived, their frontman said "You've got your work cut out for you today, you'll be recording 7 full tracks". Not long after, I clarified "so, you're the producer today, right, I'll just be the engineer?" and he was quite happy with that. He wasn't very happy with the end product and so had to book back in to re-do rushed vocals etc. which was predictable. After every vocal take, I would say something like "cool" or "OK" just to indicate the end of the take. He would take it as a compliment and thank me. Towards the end of the vocal session, he picked up my guitar and started to play it without asking.

Is this normal behaviour?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

I run a recording studio in Stoke and I thought it might be good to document some of the more amusing episodes, and get other perspectives on it too

I've done some work with a local band. They book me as a producer, but as soon as they arrived, their frontman said "You've got your work cut out for you today, you'll be recording 7 full tracks". Not long after, I clarified "so, you're the producer today, right, I'll just be the engineer?" and he was quite happy with that. He wasn't very happy with the end product and so had to book back in to re-do rushed vocals etc. which was predictable. After every vocal take, I would say something like "cool" or "OK" just to indicate the end of the take. He would take it as a compliment and thank me. Towards the end of the vocal session, he picked up my guitar and started to play it without asking.

No, it isn't normal behaviour. What a wazzock!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cheddatom said:

Normal for a professional studio? No

normal for Stoke? Absolutely 

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

2 hours ago, cheddatom said:

For idiots, yes...sadly Musicians ∩ Idiots ≠ ∅

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cheddatom said:

Another guy this weekend moved my drum overhead mics because they were in his way. When I explained that they needed to be where they were he said "What, exactly there, right in my way?", even though he had loads of other space to use

I'm afraid in this case (and I hate to say it) the drummers right. His need to play how he plays overrides your need to place your mics. Always ask if the mics are in the way. Having said that, he should have asked you if you coud move them rather than do it himself. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Do you get a lot turn up not knowing how to play their own songs? Or have instrument faults? Or no spare guitar strings?

Or mains leads. I've had "well you're a studio, you should have mains leads", or "i couldn't be bothered to unplug it all" 

• Like 1

I remember back in my youth turning up to the studio and the producer being rather miffed that my intonation was out. I didn’t even know what intonation was, I just played the bass set up as it had been when I’d bought it. I think that’s my only faux-pas re studios.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Buddster said:

I'm afraid in this case (and I hate to say it) the drummers right. His need to play how he plays overrides your need to place your mics. Always ask if the mics are in the way. Having said that, he should have asked you if you coud move them rather than do it himself. 

It wasn't the drummer! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Ah, apologies, that wasn't quite clear. 

Yes, the guy was wrong. 

Studios are a very odd environment if you're not used to it. I've worked with many new to studio bands as well as seasoned pros. Both will try your patience! It's a very intimidating place to walk into first time and for the engineer /producer social skills are sometimes more important than technical skills. 

• Like 4

I haven't spent much time in recording studios. I think if there was a guitar left out I would assume it was there to be played and I might well pick it up and play it without asking first.

No way I would leave my private stuff laying around for any old scumbag musician to pick up and play.

So I think that one is on you.

• Like 6

I wouldn't dream of picking up a guitar that doesn't belong to me without asking for permission. If it was unclear who it belongs to, I wouldn't pick it up.

Poor show if you think otherwise, in my book.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 18

2 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I wouldn't dream of picking up a guitar that doesn't belong to me without asking for permission. If it was unclear who it belongs to, I wouldn't pick it up.

The odious entitlement that infects our society sickens me to my stomach.

You’re being me again, stop Being in my (neep) head. 

I really must go and buy some petticoat shortbread … 

😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, neepheid said:

It's not wall to wall "Monarch of the Glen" up here, you know... ;)

isn’t it ? Oh .. 😥 I thought y’all lived in castles on the edge of a loch and wore kilts 24:7 whilst listening to del amitri (good bass btw)

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember some idiot bassist playing an A instead of a C on one track, then, thinking it was done, wandering off with the drummer to get a burger. He came back to find that the guitarist had cunningly played an Am rather than a C major to cover it up. Yes folks, I was that bassist.

Another band went in to a studio that was in its embryonic stages, in a big house in Lichfield that belonged to the studio engineer/producer's parents. We asked for a four-way mains extension (yes, we should have been a bit better prepared) and said engineer gave us a 4-way that didn't have a cable and then a mains plug attached to a lead which had another mains plug at the other end, so one plug could be plugged into the 4-way and the other end into the wall. I flat out refused to touch the plug to plug lead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

Difficult to judge from a forum post, and I know from your usual contributions on here that you come across well, but it looks like there may have been some lack of prior communication with this first band. You have worked with them before so may have thought you don't need to go through their expectations. When I went in with my last band we worked with the studio owner/producer to work out what we hoped to achieve on a modest budget. We took his advice and it worked brilliantly. Our guitarist even had time to do a couple of fabulous, unplanned overdubs.

As for the OK/cool thing, I can see how that could be misinterpreted. I know it sounds daft, but how about coming up with a slightly more formal, neutral phrase to indicate the end of the recording?

But yes, from my music shop experience, there are some clowns out there!

• Like 1

The worst is when a band, who have no idea what they're doing, want to record an album in one day.

I have been in that band, although I did warn them it couldn't be done, was totally ignored and of course was proved right.

Luckily I was just a hired hand and was paid a fee for the day so it was no skin off my nose.

The band then had to spend much more money, than they originally intended, trying to get those dodgy and rushed recordings sounding halfway decent at the mixing stage, which was impossible to do.

I'd prefer to to record one perfect tune in a day than 10 rubbish sounding ones.

• Like 4

I've never properly recorded in a studio but from all the little bits I've learned I would go in with a bass freshly set up and do as I'm told. The bass will most likely get recorded in one or two takes straight into the desk and the most of the day will be spent getting the guitar sound right... Or so I expect. I'll probably take a good book and bring a selection of different foods from the supermarket to share with all involved. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, neepheid said:

Poor show if you think otherwise, in my book.

Any other other situation I am the same. But I am not a complete recording novice and I know in studios instruments are routinely subbed in from the studio stable so my thought on seeing one left out during my session is it is there for my use.

Just my representative 10c as a generally very considerate person on what a studio owner should expect from a band showing up. Carte blanche on the studio instruments. Don't leave personal instruments laying around a recording studio if you are going to be precious about someone picking them up and playing them.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Any other other situation I am the same. But I am not a complete recording novice and I know in studios instruments are routinely subbed in from the studio stable so my thought on seeing one left out during my session is it is there for my use.

Just my representative 10c as a generally very considerate person on what a studio owner should expect from a band showing up. Carte blanche on the studio instruments. Don't leave personal instruments laying around a recording studio if you are going to be precious about someone picking them up and playing them.

My guitar was on a guitar stand next to me in the control room. I use it to work out notes when I'm tuning vocals. I was doing that with this guy's vocals. I'd put it down for a minute while I carried on synchronising the double-tracked vocals, and that's when I heard him playing it behind me. No big deal it just seemed a bit rude.

If it was on a stand in the live room next to the other studio instruments I wouldn't expect anyone to ask before playing it

• Like 4