Why become a member? ×

NBD — Gibson Non Reverse Thunderbird

Jean-Luc Pickguard

This actually arrived on Friday, but I thought I'd wait until I'd fitted a Babicz 3-point bridge and set it up with Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats before posting a NBD.

I finished setting it up today and now it really feels like it is mine.

This was secondhand but in mint condition — the previous owner hadn't even taken the plastic film off the pickguard and truss rod cover. It still had the stock strings. which I guess were nickel rounds and sounded new and zingy. I have replaced the stock bridge which to be honest is only a pain in the rear when you remove strings and the saddle falls out. I decided to go for a babicz after initially favouring a hipshot. This decision was based mostly on how well it fitted in visually and I don't think it has changed the tone much if at all.

The faded Pelham Blue finish looks really good and there isn't a single chip, scratch or dent anywhere on the bass.

The tone seems brighter than my Epiphone vintage Pros, but that could be due to the strings being new. With the neck pickup soloed it sounds huge. I particularly like the hipshot tuners which are really smooth in use and I think the mini clover shape and the chrome hardware look considerably better than the Y tuners and black hardware on Gibson's current reverse thunderbird model.

IMG_9729.thumb.jpeg.a9b143328a89d486340f41e6418b547e.jpegIMG_9731.thumb.jpeg.1ed7980dd0d8fab16866d3d1f1a8a224.jpeg

IMG_9732.thumb.jpeg.86cad4ce3fa418b6e6a70894e0d0015e.jpeg

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 30

Silk screening the logo onto the headstock rather than the TRC is a weird choice, but I'm getting used to it. Maybe I'll put an epiphone logo on the TRC ;o)

I'm happy with the control layout. Swapping the tone pot & the output socket will possibly set off my OCD as the middle control won't be dead centre between the other two.

It seems strange that there are a few Epiphone guitars available that cost more than I paid for this Gibson bass.

2 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

Sure, it'd be aesthetically pleasing that way, but there's a very good reason Gibson set up the control knobs and output jack like that.

When the original models came out, the control knobs were in a line.  Yes, I know, these models aren't historically accurate blablablah, but it looks nicer in a line and you can use a right-angled jack and loop the cable round the strap button.

• Like 1

I just went looking for an image of the bass to use in the track header in logic (I do this for all of my guitars/basses/ukes) and found a source image at gear4music on this page: https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/DISC-Gibson-Non-Reverse-Thunderbird-Faded-Pelham-Blue/40R7

If I am reading it right it looks like the bass might now be discontinued.

6 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Do please explain why.

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

When the original models came out, the control knobs were in a line.  Yes, I know, these models aren't historically accurate blablablah, but it looks nicer in a line and you can use a right-angled jack and loop the cable round the strap button.

It was being facetious...I can't begin to imagine why they'd change it. Seems unnecessary and definitely doesn't look good.

If someone from Gibson knows, I'd like their take on it, though.

11 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I don't have anything handy to weigh it on at the moment, but it's lighter than it looks.

I saw one for sale on the web which had a picture of the bass on a digital scale and it weighed in at just over 4Kg so not exactly a boat anchor. GAK have a new one up for sale at 1399 and it's very tempting. 

16 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

It was being facetious...I can't begin to imagine why they'd change it. Seems unnecessary and definitely doesn't look good.

If someone from Gibson knows, I'd like their take on it, though.

Well, duh, it's because Gibson hates bassists in general.  And if you think they're going to demean themselves by talking to a filthy bassist such as yourself, you're dreaming!

;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2