Why become a member? ×

Best cheap headless bass.

Brian18242

2 minutes ago, Brian18242 said:

I'm honestly on the fence about ordering a SQOE Headless. Guitargutiar confirmed there are no further plans to bring in anymore SQOE basses. Ordering direct from Thailand may be quite costly with VAT

That's disappointing.

To be fair, you could do a lot worse than the Cort suggested upthread by @Paul S - these are great little basses from the mid-80s (I have one) with licensed Steinberger hardware, quality neckthrough construction and nice, playable necks. They have standard P/J pickups so are dead easy to upgrade, plus are pretty rare & unique these days.

Alternatively, if you're handy with a hacksaw, hammer & nails and a bodge sauce gun, you could make your own, like what I done last year.

18 minutes ago, la bam said:

Hohner b2a or b2b. 

They look like a steinberger and have some licence part/design from them. 

I had one was surprised how good it was. 

And EMG Licensed pickups if memory serves. My first 5 string was a B2V and as has already been stated it was great.

20 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Alternatively, if you're handy with a hacksaw, hammer & nails and a bodge sauce gun,

What’s a bodge sauce gun? 😂

Re that Cort- I’d be tempted if I wasn’t already committed to another project.  Also love the Hohner Jack basses - great for strolling around the house playing without bashing doorframes.  Very ergonomical.

If you haven't bought the Cort yet, or if somebody else has, I would recommend looking for a Hohner B2 or Jack that has single coils, rather than the 'Select by EMG' humbuckers which lack clarity and top end. I have a later Jack that has the single coils and the pickups are much better than the humbuckers. 

Personally, I think I prefer the Hohner Jack (the one with the body) over the Hohner B2A for ergonomics. However, the classic cricket bat is a marvellous travel bass.

Edited by pn_day
Corrected typo
  • Like 1

If you're going secondhand, I recently bought an Ibanez Axstar fretted 4 string. Sounds great, the body is comfy sitting or standing and it hangs straight as it has an upper horn. Very slim neck and quite close string spacing, feels very well built. But pretty rare so might not be easy to find...

IMG_20230909_152900.thumb.jpg.7eb956465f80ea31d6da0fbc49867f73.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, JoeEvans said:

If you're going secondhand, I recently bought an Ibanez Axstar fretted 4 string. Sounds great, the body is comfy sitting or standing and it hangs straight as it has an upper horn. Very slim neck and quite close string spacing, feels very well built. But pretty rare so might not be easy to find...

IMG_20230909_152900.thumb.jpg.7eb956465f80ea31d6da0fbc49867f73.jpg

I've never seen one with that headpiece before! I only know them with these (which weren't as good as the individual clamps):

g35zekvylzuw7obnwjvt.jpg

Nice score, those are great basses. I had forgotten about those! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

I've never seen one with that headpiece before! I only know them with these (which weren't as good as the individual clamps):

g35zekvylzuw7obnwjvt.jpg

Nice score, those are great basses. I had forgotten about those! 

The headpiece is really neatly engineered, individual string locks and a cover over the whole thing to keep the string end from snagging on things.

10 hours ago, sifi2112 said:

I made this from a J&D jazz using ETS bridge, ABM string locks & Bareknuckle pups !

It’s definitely not a looker but sounds & plays well …

Might be persuaded to part if interested 

IMG_3349.jpeg

How much would you want for a cheap bass with a £300 bridge?

The Jack (and B2/B2A for that matter) is a good bass - the 4-string version has a good neck, the 5-string version neck is a little on the chunky side.

I had a 5-string Steinberger Spirit XZ-25 ages ago, I think that was a good bass, an XZ-2 would be worth looking at.