Why become a member? ×

Flats for rock (P Bass)

Vin Venal

As per the title, what flats would experienced flats players recommend for a P-bass for a player who uses a decent amount of gain for a rock/punk/alternative type sound?

I know flats aren't the go to for this type of sound, but I like the feel of flats and the idea of not having to change strings all the time, so I'm interested in giving them a try.

Recommendations would be appreciated.

I play in a blues/rock band - lots of Hendrix/Cream/ZZ Top etc - and TI Flats work for me.  EQ is set with a clean boost and a little push from the gain.  They have more bite than any other flats I have tried.  They are low tension, which is a deal breaker for many, but I prefer that feel.  They are also very expensive but once fitted last forever.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Paul S said:

I play in a blues/rock band - lots of Hendrix/Cream/ZZ Top etc - and TI Flats work for me.  EQ is set with a clean boost and a little push from the gain.  They have more bite than any other flats I have tried.  They are low tension, which is a deal breaker for many, but I prefer that feel.  They are also very expensive but once fitted last forever.

This for me in a Foo Fighters tribute too. Mids sound clear too and they last for ever! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...