Why become a member? ×

Things to do when you're 13

Happy Jack

5 minutes ago, Thump said:

I'm going to search for something by chickenshack and Hard meat now , quite a few interesting names there

Chickenshack were (arguably) the second best blues band in the UK. On piano they had Christine Perfect, who later married John McVie and we all know how that turned out ...

10 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Chickenshack were (arguably) the second best blues band in the UK. On piano they had Christine Perfect, who later married John McVie and we all know how that turned out ...

I found some stuff on youtube , i like them. Think i might download an album or 2 for nightshift this week. Thanks for posting that , i love discovering new bands / music. A lot of names to investigate 

It was 1969. Lovely to see a lot of bands performing there that featured regularly in the Melody Maker ‘What’s on’ listings in that era of happy memory. The inclusion of jazz polar opposites of Chris Barber and John Surman is wonderful!

btw, 15/- = 75p

Edited by Gasman
Spelinge

29 minutes ago, Gasman said:

It was 1969.

I wasn't yet around in 1969. I'd have liked to see the Who, but I'm not keen in Sid-era Floyd. But Soft Machine too, I'm studying music and they keep coming up and it's a band I'd never heard of until last year.

10 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I actually spent that weekend at Scout Camp on Dartmoor ...

So was I - I don't remember seeing you there?  I vividly remember the prison looming out of the mist, a dark shape with the yellow-lit windows.  The prsion museum in town had pictures of early inmates which, of course, the 12 yr old me imagined were roaming around the moors at night.  Scared the life out of me, although I didn't admit it at the time.

20 minutes ago, Paul S said:

So was I - I don't remember seeing you there?  I vividly remember the prison looming out of the mist, a dark shape with the yellow-lit windows.  The prsion museum in town had pictures of early inmates which, of course, the 12 yr old me imagined were roaming around the moors at night.  Scared the life out of me, although I didn't admit it at the time.

We were WAY more impressed by the sheep skulls ... not something we ever saw on Guernsey, and of course we were doing Lord Of The Flies as a set book at school. 🙄

Yes and King Crimson, two future prog giants way down the order….

1969….. I was in my leopard skin swimming trunks on the beach in Anglesey, playing with the seaweed. I have photographic evidence, but I’m not showing that here.

27 minutes ago, Paul S said:

So was I - I don't remember seeing you there?

6 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

We were WAY more impressed by the sheep skulls,

Dammit! It wasn't DARTmoor, it was EXmoor, that's why you didn't see me.

I've just remembered walking down into the Doone Valley, which would have been a mite challenging from Dartmoor. 

Hey, cut me some slack ... it was over 50 years ago. 9_9

12 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I was 8, and not even vaguely interested in music, back in 1969.

No older brother, I guess? Mine was nearly three years older than me, so I grew up listening (on a Dansette) to the Beatles and the Stones and the Monkees.

1 hour ago, Old Man Riva said:

The London Cast of ‘Hair’ followed by Chris Barber was a nice touch!

The Hair Cast could have included some interesting names - Sonja Kristina, Marsha Hunt, Melba Moore, Tim Curry, Paul Nicholas, Elaine Paige and many more 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gasman said:

It was 1969. Lovely to see a lot of bands performing there that featured regularly in the Melody Maker ‘What’s on’ listings in that era of happy memory. The inclusion of jazz polar opposites of Chris Barber and John Surman is wonderful!

btw, 15/- = 75p

£12 in today's money!