Why become a member? ×

Old heads and new cabs - thoughts?

Minininjarob

I’m looking to get my first head/cab setup and I’ve figured out some stuff but want to get some thoughts from the more experienced on here. 
Modern small lightweight heads are expensive. I really want a GK head but they are £££££. 
Old school heads (not valve) are much cheaper and everyone keeps saying “x was amazing wish I still had it.”  Even if they are a bit heavy they aren’t massive so I won’t have an issue moving them around. 

Now while I don’t have a back problem (worked in building trade for a long time) I would prefer a modern lightweight cab rather than some of the older boat anchors. 

So I’m thinking some sort of 400-500w solid state head on a 2x10 modern cab (or 2x 2x10). Seems to me an ideal balance between cost and performance. 
Anyone do this, any pitfalls or issues? 

One of the advantages of an older head is that I can probably fix it myself if something goes wrong as I do know electronics but the modern tiny electronics in my GK 112 combo are beyond me!!

Edited by Minininjarob

Will work fine, quite possibly the best of both worlds, older heavier (both in weight & sound) amp, newer lightweight cab with the power handling capabilities of todays gear. I did it for a while with an Ashdown ABM amp and a Barefaced Big Twin.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Will work fine, quite possibly the best of both worlds, older heavier (both in weight & sound) amp, newer lightweight cab with the power handling capabilities of todays gear. I did it for a while with an Ashdown ABM amp and a Barefaced Big Twin.

I'm currently doing it with an ABM and a BF Two10S - can highly recommend this combination.

• Like 1

Love my Glockenklang Soul head from the Soul combo. It sounded excellent, but that weight, nearly 85 lbs. (38.5 kg). I didn't have any friends on gigs.

The Soul head itself is 24 lbs. (11 kg) and alusonic 2 x 12" is under 40 lbs. (18 kg). Easy to carry one after the other. I don't need a modern light weight head.

(That Blue bird sure looks good...)

6 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

I have a 70's Fender Bassman 50 valve head which is currently being rebuilt and re-imagined by Martin Garton of Gartone Amps. I'm going to pair this with a Barefaced Super Compact. I actually think the cab might be lighter than the head!

Rob

I can only hope that the Super Compact is very efficient. The Fender Bassman 50 was the most pathetic amplifier head I ever owned! :(

12 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

I can only hope that the Super Compact is very efficient. The Fender Bassman 50 was the most pathetic amplifier head I ever owned! :(

You've said that before when I've talked about this project. It's a ground up handwired build, including new transformers. Let's wait until it's finished to judge it. I'm optimistic, and so is Martin.

Rob

19 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

You've said that before when I've talked about this project. It's a ground up handwired build, including new transformers. Let's wait until it's finished to judge it. I'm optimistic, and so is Martin.

Rob

With the new transformers is it still going to be 50W output?  

One time my vintage Trace 15 was plugged in with a BigBaby. The BB was inaudible so I am picking it gives up a fair mess of sensitivity to vintage stuff in order to go crazy loud with lots of watts.

I imagine a super compact version of a BB isn't going to punch its way out of a wet paper bag without at least 200w up it.

Every 3dB of sensitivity deficit you start with requires that you double the power to make it up. That's well and good when 1000w amps are cheap as chips. Not so much with 50 going on 100w.

JBL E140 based cab is what you want. Mic that puppy into the PA and you will be envy of bassists around the world.

Works for me.

Markbass CS450 head into newer Schroeder 21012L.

Clean headroom for days. Sounds great. 

Drive/ Vintageness ably supplied by a Two Notes "Le Bass" preamp pedal.

(So that's a 450w Class A/B head with a "lightweight" 2x10 with a 1x12 built in. Rated @ 1kW. 4 Ohm impedance.

Pretty close to where you're headed?) 

Issues? 

The Markbass doesn't like to have it's input stage clipped. Hence the dirt from the pedal.

The Schroeder's tonal balance varies dramatically dependent on where you stand relative to it. In larger rooms at higher SPLs, this disappears. Both are peculiar to the devices concerned and aren't huge problems. 

I'd try any combination of amps/cabs that came my way.  Just out of interest as much as anything!

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

I'm currently using an Eden WT800 into a TechSoundsystems 2x12 and it sounds fabulous. I think the head probably weighs more than the cab but I guess it stops it from floating away. I'd say it's right up there with the best sounding setup I've ever had.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're after a GK, I currently have an older one, a 1001RB (original mark I version) head for sale on eBay. It is pretty heavy but is relatively small with it being solid state, as you've mentioned. Rack mountable. Absolutely excellent condition for its age, and has original speakon cable and manual with it too. 

On 29/11/2023 at 22:47, dannmarx said:

If you're after a GK, I currently have an older one, a 1001RB (original mark I version) head for sale on eBay. It is pretty heavy but is relatively small with it being solid state, as you've mentioned. Rack mountable. Absolutely excellent condition for its age, and has original speakon cable and manual with it too. 

I’d really love that head but it’s too much money for me to be honest.