Why become a member? ×

Recommend a modern lightweight amp for vintage tone

ossyrocks

Hi all,

I don’t have much bass amp experience. I have a Mark Bass LM3 with 2x10, and a TE Elf which usually runs with a BF One10.

I’d like to try another amp to run with a BF Super Compact I just picked up.

My bass taste is conservative, vintage P and J basses, strung with flats. Musically, I’m in a little instrumental jazz band, a nine piece soul/ska/funk/disco/rock band, and a straight ahead old school blues band. I want vintage thump and warmth.

At a recent gig with my MB rig, in a larger than usual venue, I felt it was lacking in the ooomph department.

I’ve asked a mate, a member here, who has a lot more experience than I do, and he recommended a Bergantino Forte D, which look rather nice, but are quite expensive. 

I have also been thinking about an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500.

Hit me up with ideas, ta.

Rob

Edited by ossyrocks

I take my RM500 to the studio in the shoulder bag and I play reggae and dub, it has plenty of lows and it’s not really what I would call a bright sounding amp especially with the shape button ,and they have a super quiet fan, if you wanted more power there’s the RM800 which I think is the same , they are reasonably priced now too 

• Like 2

For me the Ashdown RM wins out here as I found it to have more - dare I say the H word - heft to the sound than any of the other class D amps I tried (Markbass, Tonehammer, TC RH, GK MB). 

Edit - forgot to mention as well that being UK based should the amp develop any unlikely issues it’s easy to get it dealt with, Ashdown being a great company to deal with.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

The EVO-II is about half the weight of the EVO-I version. It also has a matt finish on the facing plate rather than shiny, the shiny version did make it a bit difficult to make adjustments on stage so Ashdown changed it. Other than that the sound/controls are the same.

• Like 2

I'll usually run my TH500 into an SC when I'm playing a PJ5, with flats and a lump of foam under the strings. This is a very complimentary signal chain.

I think your LM3 would have a pretty good "vintage" sound through an SC. I usually run the LM EQ at 12 o'clock and both filters off. That sounds good to my "vintage" ears.

• Like 1

On 05/11/2023 at 09:43, ossyrocks said:

I have also been thinking about an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500.

How about pedals?  E.g. an alternative to the Tone Hammer amp is the Tone Hammer pedal into your existing Markbass LM III.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

How about pedals?  E.g. an alternative to the Tone Hammer amp is the Tone Hammer pedal into your existing Markbass LM III.

I am a luddite. Up until two years ago I didn't believe an electronic device that didn't contain valves could be called an amp.

I try not to use pedals, and prefer to go just straight in. However, I do have to use an octave on one tune in the 9 piece, and for that band, I have an old school Boss BCB30 board with TU2 Tuner, OC3 Octave and LMB3 Compressor. I don't really want to start looking at pedals.

What I do need to try is my LM3 into the Barefaced Super Compact. I only picked the cab up a few days ago, so I haven't been able to try that combination out yet. Don't get me wrong, I have really enjoyed the Mark Bass rig, and I do think they sound better than a lot of stuff out there, but that last gig sowed the seed of doubt in my mind. Perhaps using it through the BF cab instead will dispel that doubt.

Rob 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

The new AMpeg Venture series would probably fit the bill here. B15 and SVT modes would cover all the thump and warmth territory I would imagine...

I am indeed seriously interested in the new Venture series amps. I have never actually played through an Ampeg, but I have gigged with players using them, and always loved their sound when in the audience.

The V3 seems to be readily available to buy, but the V7 is pre-order only. Would the V3 be enough? hmmm

Edited by ossyrocks

5 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I am indeed seriously interested in the new Venture series amps. I have never actually played through an Ampeg, but I have gigged with players using them, and always loved their sound when in the audience.

The V3 seems to be readily available to buy, but the V7 is pre-order only. Would the V3 be enough? hmmm

Personally I'd hold out for the v7. Better looking at too much power than not enough, and I've had gigs with cab combinations where 300 was not enough, but my gigs (metal) wouldn't be the same as yours, so take that with a pinch of salt!!!

• Like 1

The Barefaced Super Compact is an excellent cab but needs a lot of power to compete with a loud drummer. I used a GK MB500 and it just wasn't quite enough. I upgraded to a GK MB800 and it gave a little bit more headroom.

Interestingly enough, my Markbass 121 CMD P combo, is louder than the GK MB800 combination. 

• Like 1

On 05/11/2023 at 11:49, ossyrocks said:

@Reggaebass and @Lozz196, two votes for the Ashdown RM ! This wasn’t even on my radar.

Do you think the Barefaced Super Compact I’ve just got is a good match? 

Cheers,

Rob

Yes. That was my rig for a while and it was great! As soon as I read your thread title my mind went to the RM too :)

Edited by Merton
  • Like 2

On 06/11/2023 at 17:09, jrixn1 said:

Yep. I've got a Two Notes Le Bass in front of my ( otherwise very clean) Markbass CS450 and Schroeder 21012L, and channel B does a fair job of reproducing what my Ampeg SVP-PRO sounds like, but it's got the bypass, modern drive (A) , series and parallel sounds available as well.

I'm sure the Aggy, Ampeg, Darkglass etc. Units are all good in their own way.

Great disappointment today. The RM500 arrived from PMT and it's clearly f**ked. There is a loud and nasty buzz whenever a string is struck, even at lower gain settings where the input is not being driven very hard, and after that it sounds like there's an octave pedal switched on. They also didn't include the bag they said came with it, and it was very very poorly packed, I'm surprised I didn't just empty a pile of parts onto the floor from the very oversized box it arrived in.

I have contacted them already for a refund and return. Hey ho.

Rob

• Sad 5