Why become a member? ×

Recommend a modern lightweight amp for vintage tone

ossyrocks

On 05/11/2023 at 11:43, ossyrocks said:

Hi all,

I don’t have much bass amp experience. I have a Mark Bass LM3 with 2x10, and a TE Elf which usually runs with a BF One10.

I’d like to try another amp to run with a BF Super Compact I just picked up.

My bass taste is conservative, vintage P and J basses, strung with flats. Musically, I’m in a little instrumental jazz band, a nine piece soul/ska/funk/disco/rock band, and a straight ahead old school blues band. I want vintage thump and warmth.

At a recent gig with my MB rig, in a larger than usual venue, I felt it was lacking in the ooomph department.

I’ve asked a mate, a member here, who has a lot more experience than I do, and he recommended a Bergantino Forte D, which look rather nice, but are quite expensive. 

I have also been thinking about an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500.

Hit me up with ideas, ta.

Rob

You will not miss with Aguilar TH500.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 arrived today. It’s been very interesting to play it through three different cabs and compare it to the Mark Bass LM3. It is much more of a different amp to the LM3 than I expected, much different. It completely threw me at first, but I’m starting to get used to it, and appreciate its difference. 

This exercise also highlighted the difference in tone between the Barefaced One10 and the Super Compact which I haven’t used until today. I thought the Super Compact would sound like a big One10, it doesn’t, it’s much more hifi/neutral, so I have to dial it in with the amp. More to do tomorrow, to appraise the new setup, and see what I think. It seems the LM3 has set a benchmark tone for me though, it’s just so chewy in the mids. 

Bergantino Forte D incoming too! I’m going to be busy.

Rob

• Like 1

Now, the Forte D has arrived. This is getting interesting and complicated at the same time. 
Here’s the heads - LM3, TH500, Forte D. Cabs - MB Traveler 102P, BF Super Compact, BF One10.

I’m slowly going through all combinations of the above, to see how everything compares. 

I’m not ready to say definitively what works yet, but the Forte D has upped the ante quite considerably, and it’s sooo simple to use. Also, the difference in character of each of these amps is quite pronounced. 
I am aware that I have some serious and expensive kit here, but that is the point really, and some of it will get sold on in order to keep what works best for me. 

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

Interested in your thoughts in these Rob as you work through them some nice amps there....I've been staring a t a few of them lately and wondering ... ✌️

Ok, the decisions have been made. 
Elf: I’ve had this since last Christmas, it’s remarkable, I use it every week at rehearsal, and it slides into the pocket of my gig bag. No brainer, it stays, and it’s a handy backup.

Aguilar: I thought I would like this more than I did. On balance of all factors, it was in the end my least favourite amp of the four. It has a baked in tonality as a starting point which I found myself trying to dial out. It would be a great rock amp I think. I just didn’t bond with it. It sort of made all my basses sound the same too. 

Mark Bass: This has been my main amp for nearly two years, it’s solid, reliable and always sounds good. I had some doubts about it on a recent gig, and felt it just didn’t have enough oomph. My fault probably, running just one MB 2x10 at 8 ohms on a big stage with nothing back in the monitors. But that’s what got me thinking about another amp. I do like MB gear, and I think it sits well in a mix. Every time I see a band using one, I think the bass sounds good. 
Bergantino Forte D. My first experience of these, and it feels like a step up from a regular amp. It’s lush, complex, breathy, open, powerful, and all round just better than everything else. It’s also very simple to use. It really brings out the character of each of my basses, my ‘73 Jazz has never sounded so much like a classic jazz bass, and my P basses just sound huge through it. The drive control does not affect the overall volume, it just adds that extra grit as you dial it in. I’m using it very sparingly, max 9 o’clock. This paired with a Barefaced Super Compact is what I’ve settled on. I can add a One10 too if I feel the need (usually used with the Elf). 
The Mark Bass rig has been sold already to a fellow forum member without advertising it. The Aguilar is in the classifieds. 
In writing this, I am aware that I lack the vocabulary to describe my experience. Talking about tone, is a bit like dancing about food. Anyway, there you go.

Rob

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

Ok, the decisions have been made. 
Elf: I’ve had this since last Christmas, it’s remarkable, I use it every week at rehearsal, and it slides into the pocket of my gig bag. No brainer, it stays, and it’s a handy backup.

Aguilar: I thought I would like this more than I did. On balance of all factors, it was in the end my least favourite amp of the four. It has a baked in tonality as a starting point which I found myself trying to dial out. It would be a great rock amp I think. I just didn’t bond with it. It sort of made all my basses sound the same too. 

Mark Bass: This has been my main amp for nearly two years, it’s solid, reliable and always sounds good. I had some doubts about it on a recent gig, and felt it just didn’t have enough oomph. My fault probably, running just one MB 2x10 at 8 ohms on a big stage with nothing back in the monitors. But that’s what got me thinking about another amp. I do like MB gear, and I think it sits well in a mix. Every time I see a band using one, I think the bass sounds good. 
Bergantino Forte D. My first experience of these, and it feels like a step up from a regular amp. It’s lush, complex, breathy, open, powerful, and all round just better than everything else. It’s also very simple to use. It really brings out the character of each of my basses, my ‘73 Jazz has never sounded so much like a classic jazz bass, and my P basses just sound huge through it. The drive control does not affect the overall volume, it just adds that extra grit as you dial it in. I’m using it very sparingly, max 9 o’clock. This paired with a Barefaced Super Compact is what I’ve settled on. I can add a One10 too if I feel the need (usually used with the Elf). 
The Mark Bass rig has been sold already to a fellow forum member without advertising it. The Aguilar is in the classifieds. 
In writing this, I am aware that I lack the vocabulary to describe my experience. Talking about tone, is a bit like dancing about food. Anyway, there you go.

Rob

Hi Rob, 

Thanks for your thoughts. That's really unhelpful as I've been looking at the berg, enjoying what I've heard, but thought something else might fill the void 😂

I need to try one out I think - are you gigging at all/ rehearsing? Always interesting when these are put in a mix ✌️

3 hours ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

Hi Rob, 

Thanks for your thoughts. That's really unhelpful as I've been looking at the berg, enjoying what I've heard, but thought something else might fill the void 😂

I need to try one out I think - are you gigging at all/ rehearsing? Always interesting when these are put in a mix ✌️

The Bergs are expensive new. but I bought it here for a decent price. I don't think I would have stretched to a new one.

I am rehearsing and playing the odd gig. Today from 11.30 till 2.30 has been dress rehearsals for a Christmas Concert at Lancaster Priory at 7.30pm tonight. https://moremusic.org.uk/whats-on/sufjan-stevens-songs-for-christmas-at-lancaster-priory/ I'm home to get changed and a bite to eat then off out again. Full choir, orchestra and electric band. Seat of pants stuff as we've had just five rehearsals including today. For this I am using the Elf and the One10. I'll be DI'd into the PA tonight too. Not sure when the Berg will get it's first outing to be honest, first gig actually booked after today is early May next year, but more will come in.

Rob

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

I do like MB gear, and I think it sits well in a mix. Every time I see a band using one, I think the bass sounds good. 

That's my experience, too. It doesn't sound that great when you're stood next to it. Not bad by any means, but nothing special. Out out in the room, it's a different story.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 05/11/2023 at 13:51, Paul S said:

The best tone I got aside from heavy Trace Elliot gear was from a Tecamp Puma.  Looks like Bass Bros has a 900 in stock. 

https://bassbros.co.uk/product/tecamp-puma-900/

That'll fit in your back pocket.

Revisiting this thread I started last year. It seems my quest isn't over. 😁

After some time with the Berg, it just isn't the sound I hear in my head. It is a wonderful amp, whisper quiet in operation, massively powerful, and very articulate, but just not old school thumpy enough (I'm a P bass with flats kind of guy). It's up for sale in the classifieds for what I paid.

What has replaced it for the moment is a Tecamp Puma 900, which I must say I am mightily impressed with, and the Taste control allows my to dial in that old school tone.

Onwards once more unto the ....whatever it is.

Rob

• Like 2