Why become a member? ×

EB ‘retro’ Stingray.

NoirBass

On 04/11/2023 at 20:18, WishIcouldplay said:

What is the difference between this and the MM classic. Also have MM not released a model true to the initial specs with "radio" knobs etc.

The classics had some modern appointments, such as 6 bolt neck plate and truss rod wheel, and new (to musicman) finishes. Plus they made a big deal out of having figured necks. They had vintage appointments like slab bodies and mute bridges too. The classics were reissues of basses that never existed, essentially. 

I'd seek out an old 'classic' over the 'retro' for those quality of life improvements.

• Like 1

It was kind of refreshing that Music Man just made instruments and didn't really see the necessity to move (so much) into the whole vintage reissue market.

The market prices for 70s Stingrays us more than a bit erratic; just look at Reverb, there's a few chancers selling at £6k and above but nobody is biting.  There's quite a few sold at £1.8k-£3k, which is quite a broad range.

These new models are $3.2k (so read that as £3.2k+ over here); why would anyone consider forking over that kind of money when it's feasible - if you bide your time - to get an original 70s model for less £££?

• Like 1

On 04/11/2023 at 14:18, WishIcouldplay said:

Also have MM not released a model true to the initial specs with "radio" knobs etc.

I believe that was the limited edition '76 nitro finish reissue, that was released alongside two nitro finish guitar models. Which is funny, because I don't think Music Man ever used nitro finishes when they started in the 70s. So like the Stingray Classic, it's a "reissue" of a bass that never existed, despite the otherwise historically correct featureset. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LeftyJ said:

I believe that was the limited edition '76 nitro finish reissue, that was released alongside two nitro finish guitar models. Which is funny, because I don't think Music Man ever used nitro finishes when they started in the 70s. So like the Stingray Classic, it's a "reissue" of a bass that never existed, despite the otherwise historically correct featureset. 

MM used nitro until 1978/1979, so the Retro 76 edition was vintage correct.

• Like 1

Price are not so crazy, due to the fact that EB/MM reduced production in the USA and improved (as they state) QC. Considering ramping inflation all around the world, the prices of these new Classics are in line with the Fender CS offering, and they are better IMHO.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2023 at 09:09, Musicman20 said:

The unfortunate part of this is that the Classics, whilst they came out say 10 years ago, were also less than half the price of these new (4 string versions).

I picked up a Classic 5 Stingray (the best bass guitar I've ever owned!) for about £1600 brand new.  

Prices are crazy in 2023.

The world is crazy in 2023.🙁

I used to have an pre-EB Stingray in Sunburst/maple back in the day. It was a nice bass but nothing to get emotional about, if you see what I mean. I couldn't see any advantage it offered over an EBMM Stingray, then or now. Except the old-style bridge with the mutes on. Never used the mutes but it looks right on a Stingray.

Maybe EBMM have missed a trick not reissuing an early EBMM-era bass. They were superb, I seem to remember.

I might consider one of these basses if I could find a light one, 9 pounds or less, but I doubt I will find one. Besides which, I probably prefer the sound and feel of the Stingray Special if I am being honest.

Edited by Misdee

On 07/11/2023 at 17:08, Misdee said:

Maybe EBMM have missed a trick not reissuing an early EBMM-era bass. They were superb, I seem to remember.

That’s exactly what the Stingray Classic was, hence the highly figured necks (which most 90s Stingrays also had). The only difference was the bridge having strings through, a feature dropped on Stingrays originally around 1980/81, and the truss Rod wheel finished in chrome (these features were not on the Sabre Classic). 

2 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Indeed, bullet truss and 3-bolt neck seems like an unnecessary step backwards. 

It’s meant to be a period correct 1970s Musicman - if you want the 90s version, you could get a used one or a used Stingray Classic. 

For me, there’s some advantage in having a period correct new 70s Stingray rather than a worn original one - although there are good condition original ones around, there are also those which are quite badly worn. I guess it’s a similar comparison as original Fender bass v Custom Shop. There appears to be a market for both! 

Edited by drTStingray

On 07/11/2023 at 17:08, Misdee said:

39 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

That’s exactly what the Stingray Classic was, hence the highly figured necks (which most 90s Stingrays also had). The only difference was the bridge having strings through, a feature dropped on Stingrays originally around 1980/81, and the truss Rod wheel finished in chrome (these features were not on the Sabre Classic). 

Don't forget that the early EBMMs were contoured, whereas the Classics had a slab body. Also, unlike the Classics, the early EBMMs (up to 1990) had the truss adjuster at the headstock.

And yes, they were superb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rodney72a said:

Don't forget that the early EBMMs were contoured, whereas the Classics had a slab body. Also, unlike the Classics, the early EBMMs (up to 1990) had the truss adjuster at the headstock.

And yes, they were superb.

This is true - the slab body being the other difference from a 90s era Stingray. The early EB ones are pretty much as the later pre EBs, but with a contoured body. They’re all excellent!! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Indeed, bullet truss and 3-bolt neck seems like an unnecessary step backwards. 

In all the excitement I hadn't noticed the three-bolt micro-tilt neck. That's a big minus for me. I like a neck that's securely bolted in the correct position and stays there. I don't necessarily want adjustability.

The old Stingrays definitely sounded a bit different, but I like the sound of the new ones just as much. One thing I preferred about the old ones (and the Classic reissues) was the laqured neck, figured or otherwise. But the roasted maple on the Stingray Special is pretty nice, it must be said.

I suppose these new reissues are another option and you pay your money and takes your choice. I think these basses will be sought after, no doubt about that. They look and sound great, but the old Stingrays weren't perfect in certain respects, so neither will an accurate reproduction.

Edited by Misdee

On 06/11/2023 at 05:49, NancyJohnson said:

These new models are $3.2k (so read that as £3.2k+ over here); why would anyone consider forking over that kind of money when it's feasible - if you bide your time - to get an original 70s model for less £££?

I've got a 77 B00 stingray - I bought it as I always wanted a pre EB ray, it's lovely, I'm not going to sell it but it really is a one trick pony, it has one basic sound - if that is what you want then it's the right bass for the job...

If I was buying with my head and not my heart then I'd go pretty much as far away from that with an HH stingray just to give it a bit more flexibility - which is why I have a Musicman reflex as well I guess..

8 hours ago, drTStingray said:

This is true - the slab body being the other difference from a 90s era Stingray. The early EB ones are pretty much as the later pre EBs, but with a contoured body. They’re all excellent!! 

My pre-EB Stingray was an 82/3 with a four bolt neck. It was a lovely bass in mint condition but at the time I owned it in the late '80's/early '90's the EBMM Stingrays I played in shops were overall better made with a a higher level of fit and finish. I distinctly remember thinking that at the time. I would have cheerfully done a direct swap.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, =^..^= said:

I've got a 77 B00 stingray - I bought it as I always wanted a pre EB ray, it's lovely, I'm not going to sell it but it really is a one trick pony, it has one basic sound - if that is what you want then it's the right bass for the job...

If I was buying with my head and not my heart then I'd go pretty much as far away from that with an HH stingray just to give it a bit more flexibility - which is why I have a Musicman reflex as well I guess..

I've  also got a Reflex . That is a monster truck of a bass. Must be pretty rare nowadays, too.

• Like 1

On 09/11/2023 at 11:10, Misdee said:

My pre-EB Stingray was an 82/3 with a four bolt neck. It was a lovely bass in mint condition but at the time I owned it in the late '80's/early '90's the EBMM Stingrays I played in shops were overall better made with a a higher level of fit and finish. I distinctly remember thinking that at the time. I would have cheerfully done a direct swap.

Same for me. I had a black 1980 which I owned between 1989 and 1997 (swapped it for a Streamer Stage 1 but that's another story) 

I remember ogling and hankering after the very svelte looking EB models at Rose Morris in Denmark Street, who I always thought carried a great selection of MM basses at that time. And again later when I moved back to SW Scotland at Sound Control and I remember marvelling at the woods and finishes on the EB basses. Then I bought a 1990 Sabre in 1994 and again the woods, fit and finish made me think my pre EB was a clunky old thing. Still loved it though until said Streamer Stage 1 appeared. 

Edited by dub_junkie
  • Like 1

I find it with older basses in general.

My Stinger is a 2010 2-band. Easily adjustable,  battery compartment a breeze to access....it sounds just like a Stingray to me! 

Can't see the point in going backwards. Had the same issues with my old Ricky 4001's. Never found anything that I couldn't get from a newer, more adjustable instrument that I'd rely on.

Just my opinion, others may have different results....