Why become a member? ×

Album of the Week Club.

Newfoundfreedom

18 hours ago, Linus27 said:

I also found with Spotify that it either only plays a few seconds or it actually plays a different track to the one you suggested. YouTube is also another good platform for full albums.

On “mobile” platforms I believe this is the case (so phones and tablets), but on a desktop I think it plays what you ask for (with adverts etc.).

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

It could be a Little mix album, or even Clive Dunn greatest hits :o😁

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Better that than reggae, though. :|

I quite liked Clive Dunn's reggae phase. "Permission to Toast, Sir?" and "They Don't Like It Uptown" are dub classics.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Is there a crossover of things on bandcamp and other streaming services?

From playing with the app it seems to list all the streaming services where the album is available. 

But ultimately it's up to the actual artist where they're streaming the album. So some might be on Bandcamp, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon and everywhere else you can imagine. 

Others might only be available on a single streaming service. 

The reason I initially mentioned using only albums on Bandcamp is because it's free and everyone has access at the click of a link.

If people have to faff around signing up to different steaming services (even if it's free) it might put them off participating. 

However. For those who have access to any of the paid streaming services I will post the links (as and where available). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

this week i'll have to resort to headphones and my tablet as i'll be away, but for future albums I'll make use of the living room and my full HiFi while my wife and son are out on a Saturday morning. Luckily my neighbour is fairly deaf and has never complained about the noise.

Matt

• Like 1

Ok. Drum roll...............

And the winner is......

Lunglight by The Shaky Hands. 

Bandcamp

https://theshakyhandspdx.bandcamp.com/album/lunglight

Spotify

Apple Music

https://music.apple.com/bg/album/lunglight/289937827

YouTube

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mXabWDHTNlQozeNovb8gqvHuSdroZBI4o&si=m0zrssY_NFCZ1n13

Tidal

https://tidal.com/album/19117087

Hopefully shouldn't be too challenging a listen for me this one. 

Please feel free to post links to any other streams you find on your service of choice. 

Enjoy. 😉

Screenshot_2023-10-27-19-02-46-259_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
Links added
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Ok. Drum roll...............

And the winner is......

Lunglight by The Shaky Hands. 

Bandcamp

https://theshakyhandspdx.bandcamp.com/album/lunglight

Spotify

Hopefully shouldn't be too challenging a listen for me this one. 

...the game is afoot!...

• Like 1

Thoughts after the first listen. 

My initial reaction to the first track was, oh God that sounds awful. Something sounded out of tune or off key to my ear. Whether this was an artistic choice, a genuine pink torpedo up, or my listening skills I don't know. It will be interesting to see if I feel the same on subsequent listens. 

By about track 3 I was really starting to get the feel of the band. Very reminiscent to me of a lot of the Indie stuff that was around in the early 90's. 

By the second half of the album I was tapping my feet and really getting into it. 

I can see this one being a real grower. I've already added it to my library on Tidal. Looking forward to listening to it again, next time with headphones (as opposed to sound system) for a more immersive experience. 

It's a definite thumbs up from me. 👍

• Thanks 1

yep, same initial reaction to the 1st intro - then I started to enjoy, even tho' completely out of my usual 'comfort zone'

stand out for me, on 1st pass, was Wake the Breathing Night, but several others lit up for me, and i'll be interested to see if/how my perception changes over a week of listening

thanks for setting up - inspired idea!

[Edit: listened on phones, so probably at higher 'volume' than I would use on the home-Fi]

Edited by sandy_r
  • Thanks 1

I'll give this one a 6/10

My favourite tracks are 'We are Young' and 'No Say', & 'You're the Light'.  If the rest of the album had have been to this standard it would have got 7-8/10 but I found a lot of the stuff in the latter part of the album left me a bit frustrated in that I wanted the songs to take off a bit more and they didn't.

I haven't listened to their first album but I imagine that if I saw them live I would be tapping my feet more than dancing.

I see that signed to Kill Rock Stars, which if you are a Post Punk fan, you might have heard of.

Edited by BillyBass
  • Like 1

Liked this from the off. The 'something not quite right' sound reminded me of Jonathan Richman. Started to drag a bit at Neighbours and World's Gone Mad, then came back much stronger. 

You're the Light stand out track on first listen.

Love the way the drums have been recorded - can actually hear the bass drum as you would acoustically, not a huge over processed thump. 

Pressure is on the random generator for next week!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Liked this from the off. The 'something not quite right' sound reminded me of Jonathan Richman. Started to drag a bit at Neighbours and World's Gone Mad, then came back much stronger. 

You're the Light stand out track on first listen.

Love the way the drums have been recorded - can actually hear the bass drum as you would acoustically, not a huge over processed thump. 

Pressure is on the random generator for next week!

Yeah I agree. Several of the tracks have a "live recording" feel to them that you can hear especially with the drums. It makes a nice change from over processed or drum machine tracks we hear so often now. 

Just giving the album a second listen over a couple of beers. So, thoughts for the second time around ( in no particular order ).

The first track A New Parade" is very jangly and off key. This was probably an artistic choice by the band. But I can't help feel that it's a very bad introduction to a new album and a new band. Maybe it should have been later in the album once you get the general "vibe". For me it's a very bad choice for an opening track. 

Nothing to do with the album or the band. But the streaming quality is much better on Tidal in true hi-fi than YouTube where the compression leaves a lot to be desired.

The album art makes my brain itch. No idea what it's supposed to be or what it represents. 

These seems to be some odd time signatures happening with the drums in a couple of tracks which I really like. 

The vocals are too "mumbly". Which is not necessarily a criticism of the singer who does a decent enough job, although he's not the greatest vocalist I've ever heard. I just wish it popped more in the mix.

Overall I really like it and I think I'll have to have a listen to band's other albums.