Why become a member? ×

Level 42 currently on tour... who's gone/going?

Rich

34 minutes ago, Rich said:

Oh the lustre was back last night, in absolute spades. It was the best I've seen them in years.

For anyone who's interested, the set was:

Hide contents

Almost There

To Be With You Again

Running In The Family

Micro Kid

The Sun Goes Down

Children Say

Heathrow 

Love Meeting Love

Kansas City Milkman

World Machine

Love Games

Starchild

Something About You

Lessons In Love

encores:

Heaven In My Hands

The Chinese Way

Hot Water

I'm off to make a playlist of it :D 

KCM is one of my fav tracks. I could never get the hang of the count before the bass came in.

I missed out on tickets ☹️

Saw them last year, and the horn section, choreography, and most of all THAT drummer have elevated the band to possibly their best inception IMO.

MK and ML are obviously enjoying the new onstage vibe, their collective playing was absolutely brilliant.

And yeh, Mark King doesn't just do slap, his finger playing is superb - and then he goes and sings over the top of it!

Mint👌🏼

• Like 5

Saw them in Guildford last Monday.

The sound in the theatre wasn’t brilliant unfortunately, a bit boomy and undefined (O2 Indigo last year was far superior) but not the band’s fault.

The band was so incredibly tight and put on an energetic show (let’s not forget that MK and ML and now in their mid 60’s and even Nathan King is past 50…).

Mark’s voice struggles a bit nowadays but I thought it was improved over last year. Maybe they’ve detuned a semitone to ease the vocal strain?

The horn section adds an extra dimension and showmanship and the set list had a couple of nice surprises (e.g. Micro Kid and a shortened Love Meeting Love).

The standout for me, alongside his much overlooked finger style capabilities, is just how hard and accurately he hits the strings. There are no fluffed or half-hearted slaps. Every strike is pure conviction. Years of gigging and muscle strength/memory (plus a large dollop of natural talent).

Even though we can never experience the original lineup again (for obvious reasons) it’s still a privilege to be able to see 2 original members, backed by outstandingly talented musicians, performing these songs live over 40 years later.

• Like 4

Great show- saw them at the Lowry in Manchester. As with other posters, agree that the Christians were good too!

The L42 rhythm section were on fire! MK obvs but that drummer. Horns well integrated too. Fantastic show.

• Like 2

On 27/10/2023 at 10:41, Rich said:

Oh the lustre was back last night, in absolute spades. It was the best I've seen them in years.

For anyone who's interested, the set was:

Hide contents

Almost There

To Be With You Again

Running In The Family

Micro Kid

The Sun Goes Down

Children Say

Heathrow 

Love Meeting Love

Kansas City Milkman

World Machine

Love Games

Starchild

Something About You

Lessons In Love

encores:

Heaven In My Hands

The Chinese Way

Hot Water

I'm off to make a playlist of it :D 

That is a really great setlist. It reads like a list of pieces they wanted to play rather than stuff they thought they were obliged to play ('lessons in love' and 'something about you' excepted). 

• Like 1

Saw them at the Cliff's Pavilion, Westcliff last night.  Great show.  Since I saw them last MK has shed a decent amount of weight and looked great.  His voice was even better - best singing from him for years.  I wonder if the two are related?  Great set, too - loads of oldies.  Not heard them play Microkid for yonks. 

Technical problems - something in his board went wrong and he ended up playing the last few songs and encores going straight into the amp with a lead.  And his white bass developed a problem with the output jack so he abandoned it and stuck with the red one.  It did impact on the sound but I thought it was interesting to hear the band without his effects in the mix.

Someone in another post mentioned a rumour that this was going to be their last tour.  I don't know if that is right but they kicked off with 'Almost there' which I haven't heard them play for years.  When they started to gig after COVID they kicked off with 'To See You Again'.  I wonder if MK enjoys playing around like that, giving off little clues?  Also on the last few tours he has always ended the night by saying 'See you in 2 years' and he didn't this time.   

Pete Ray Biggin is fantastic.  I first met him in the early noughties when I was a sound engineer and he was about 19 playing with Jimmy James (and the Vagabonds).  As a drummer myself, I instantly snapped my metaphorical sticks over my knee the first time I heard him play as I was simultaneously amazed at him and disgusted at how much better he was than anything I would ever be able to play  - he was that good!  He stopped coming to gigs with them and I was told he had left to join Incognito for a while.

I have since seen videos of him doing drum workshops with a giant kit but back then he would borrow the house drummer's kit with just top and floor tom.   It wasn't particularly his fills that were amazing (although they were) - it was just his feel and groove that were top notch and on another level that I could hear (no pun intended).  

• Like 1

Saw them last night at Reading Hexagon. Fantastic show.... so tight and funky.... and FUN! Lots of smiles, killer horns and the drummer was off the chart. As for Mark King.... I've never particularly wanted to play like him but wow.... not sure how he plays/sings like that but he's hugely impressive. How does he not have an arthritic thumb/right hand?! lol!

So great to see my old bass mate and fellow BassChatter @Bobby K nailing it with The Christians too! 😎

Edited by cetera
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cetera said:

As for Mark King.... not sure how he plays/sings like that but he's hugely impressive.

Yes, for me it's the playing/singing that's the most impressive aspect of his playing. Something as complicated as To Be With You Again, and he sings over it AND makes it look easy. How?

5 hours ago, cetera said:

So great to see my old bass mate and fellow BassChatter @Bobby K nailing it with The Christians too! 😎

Great playing. At Bath his fretless work on Words was lovely, I really wish he'd been further up in the mix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's been an absolute pleasure opening for these guys every night 🙏😊 A dream come true. 

Cannot say enough good things about Mark and his crew, they're just the best!!

Even got to hold Mark's original "ol' girl" on his 65th birthday. It felt like my own birthday!! 😂

PXL_20231020_145827431.MP.jpg

• Like 19

On 31/10/2023 at 11:59, tricky said:

Here's MK's board 😉

20231015_224119-01.jpeg

He's stopped using that Shure wireless pedal for the last five gigs or so. He's now using a Shure rack mounted unit, which, according to his tech and sound crew sounds a million times better. You can see it here, under his Caveman preamp (which he absolutely swears by, apparently)

PXL_20231027_145407964.jpg

• Like 3

On 19/10/2023 at 11:58, EMG456 said:

Excellent player and his five string (Yamaha?) got best bass sound of the night award from me! Crystal clear and punchy.

Thanks so much mate 🙏🙂

Yes, using my trusty Yamaha TRB1005J - it really cuts through

PXL_20231014_144920702.MP.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...