Why become a member? ×

Sterling Dark Ray...$1,400!

jd56hawk

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

Out of all the main "more affordable" brands, I've been thinking for some time now that SBMM have been taking the mick more than most in these times of inflation and increased prices.

The Darkglass wizardry will add a fair heap in cost on in itself of course but, regardless, 100% agree.

Also, why do this and not colour match the headstock? Bonkers.

• Like 2

Massively overpriced budget instrument with some fancy tech shoved into it.

Sterling by MM basses seem pretty decent for what they are, like Squier CV etc etc….. but prices like this are outrageous. I hope absolutely nobody buys one. 

• Like 5

Well that is ridiculous!!! How much is a Sterling 24 and Darkglass pedal?! No idea why someone would pay that much for this, but each to their own. It is a bit of an ask - especially considering the brittle tuners and almost non existent truss rod that went out in the purple Sterling 34. 

• Like 3

Ernie Ball can go do one. Not just for this, but for their pricing of all basses. It's price gouging almost on a par with Warwick's innovative "let's add another 7 grand to the price and folk will still buy them" pricing strategy.

Anyone with an IQ above 2 won't buy one of them as they'll realise they're being done.

• Like 6

I’m a Warwick fan, but I agree. The price of them is just ridiculous, however, I think the price of literally everything is ridiculous.

If we all just stopped buying these ridiculously priced instruments and stuck with what we already have, most of these companies would be f******

1K + for budget instruments is absolutely taking the pi55

• Like 4

Even if prices on some of these has increased slightly as well recently, stressing slightly that is, good thing we still got Harley Benton.

When that is said I kind of like the non matching bare wood headstock on the insanely overpriced "budget" Sterling by Musick Man.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 13/10/2023 at 23:01, mr4stringz said:

The Darkglass wizardry will add a fair heap in cost on in itself of course but, regardless, 100% agree.

Also, why do this and not colour match the headstock? Bonkers.

Because without it they can use any neck on the line, any black body and just fit black hardwear and the specific plate… easy. 

On 16/10/2023 at 19:38, Musicman20 said:

It's worth considering not that long ago, you could get a Musicman Stingray H (USA) with a hardcase for around £1300-1400. 

This is absolutely absurd money, and just like the latest 'high end' Epiphones, I doubt they will sell many.

Absolutely. I was so fool to buy/sell three USA Stingray for that money. Recently, after a 5 minutes experience with that new garbage called Vintera II, I definitely called myself out of the “at-one-third-of-the-price” nonsense which seems so popular these days (thanks to all those dickhe@ds on youtube) and jumped on a mint used 2012 USA Stingray that will stay here.

Edited by michele

It's not just basses, remember.  MM prices are ridiculous generally. 

Fell in love with the St Vincent HH guitar a while back, retail of the production model 3 x mini-bucker model is now ridiculously nudging £3.5k (and this coming from someone who paid nearly £4k for a Gibson Theodore). 

I asked MM if they could do one with a single humbucker and just a single volume control - less work for them, just take it out of the router earlier, eh? - eventually got a reply, over a grand mark up. 

Bonkers.

I’ve always considered the SUB bass design to be the least visually “metal” of all mainstream basses. I’d be very surprised if the Darkglass target market is particularly interested in owning basses of this aesthetic design.