Why become a member? ×

New bass day

Highfox

Arrived in the post yesterday :)

Upon closer inspection this morning I noticed a ding near the input jack. The package on the outside was seemingly undamaged, so not sure where the damage has occured!

The bass plays really nice is a great weight and has the best sounding open A string I have had on any bass :) I'd really like to keep this one. I sent the retailer a photo of said damage, lets see what they propose.

I remember sending a slightly damaged acoustic guitar back once and the replacement they sent out never sounded anywhere near as good :)

Thought I'd share.

IMG_20231006_153434.jpg

IMG_20231007_095716.jpg

• Like 9
  • Sad 4

Definitely shouldn't have left the factory like that, and if it did, definitely should've been noted by someone at the shop.

Other than that, if it plays and sounds good and you can  get some cash back, you might not want to gamble on a replacement.

One of the few really cool Fenders being made today!

• Like 2

Ouch! I don't think I'd keep it with a ding like that, that's more than just a small chip or mark. Somebody dropped that then sent it out anyway hoping the person on the other end didn't notice

Edit:extra word removal

Edit 2 : (didnt want to clutter up the thread with my crap so i stuck it here)why do I find these so damn attractive now, I never liked the colour before, but the whole thing together ❤️ 

Edited by Thump
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Highfox said:

The bass plays really nice is a great weight and has the best sounding open A string I have had on any bass :) I'd really like to keep this one.

That's a nice bass, but a nasty ding. They need to offer a substantial discount for that, let's hope they do. At least you'll be ahead in the worn mojo game.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Fender rather than Squier?

I'd start by saying thats a £100 ding and see what the response is...

No, that's more than a £100 ding.   B stock stuff, if the dings are more than superficial, can be 20% off full price. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BillyBass said:

No, that's more than a £100 ding.   B stock stuff, if the dings are more than superficial, can be 20% off full price. 

Agreed. The compensation should be at least equal to the cost of repairing it, which would be more than a hundred quid.

• Like 2

Then they are likely to want it returned.

If you didn't buy / pay for a damaged one, them you shouldn't put up with it... it will get to you and rob you of your enjoyment.

If on the other hand would of purchased the ding model for £100 discount - no sure of normal cost - then it could be 'Happy Days'...

Edited by PaulThePlug

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

Then they are likely to want it returned.

If you didn't buy / pay for a damaged one, them you shouldn't put up with it... it will get to you and rob you of your enjoyment.

If on the other hand would of purchased the ding model for £100 discount - no sure of normal cost - then it could be 'Happy Days'...

These are 1100 quid new

Thanks for all of your input. 

Been playing the bass most of the weekend and really falling for it :)

I sent an email with photos of the damage to the place I bought it from and will update with their reply/suggestion. 

If they knock something off the price or give me some in store credit, I think I'll hang onto the one I have now. This one was the only one they had in stock the time I ordered. 

• Like 3

Update to this. 

They offered me a 15% discount, which I'm happy to take. 

I have bought new roadworn basses before so no real stress for me having a ding where it is. I guess I might lose some resale value because of it, but hopefully it's a keeper anyway. 

• Like 8

You could probably stablise the crack with superglue or something. The cracked area looks like a prime spot for the finish to flake off if it gets caught on something or knocked again.

I bought a white thunderbird vintage pro from trash converters for £250 including an epiphone hard case as it had a deep dent on the back of the neck and one on the edge of the headstock. As the bass is was white I was able to fill the damaged areas with white milliput epoxy putty and once it was scraped level with a razor blade, it looked good as new apart from slightly matt areas which could be probably be improved if I ever get round to sanding/polishing the repaired areas.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I was wondering if the trick with a wet cloth and iron would work to raise the wood underneath, if the crack has gone all the way through the paint and any sealer under it.

As usual, I don’t know the answer but will chip in anyway - the iron & wet cloth trick might lift more paint off.  I’d go with the runny superglue stabilising option, myself.