Why become a member? ×

Fender Road Worn series - have I been had???

Duroc17

11 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Use a pan scourer and take it down 

I remember what it was I found in stage in the dark it was really hard to see the white reference dots on the top of the neck compared to the wood colour - only a small thing and I generally know where I am on the neck but it irked me 

Looking at the advert on eBay it seems a bit odd that he has all the case candy and even the correct gig bag. Some of the dings look about in the right place. Could it be that it is a proper roadworn and someone has had a go at 'improving' it?

16 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

Looking at the advert on eBay it seems a bit odd that he has all the case candy and even the correct gig bag. Some of the dings look about in the right place. Could it be that it is a proper roadworn and someone has had a go at 'improving' it?

The neck and tuners felt right. But the body isn’t nitro it’s definitely a thick poly finish - so it’s perhaps a different body 

It looks like someone has taken a hammer to it. I've seen chips like that recently. I was buying a Squier tele for my daughter and was about to pay when I noticed a big chunk out of the body work. They said they would order another one. There were issues with the new one. It was damaged on arrival, so they had to send it back. As it was getting close to her birthday, I decided to take a different colour. The guy took another off the wall and I noticed a chunk out of this one too. It's kids going in to the shop on a Saturday, lifting the guitars down to try, then being careless when they hang them up again.

Edited by Crusoe
Spelling
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

You can buy  those as fakes, possibly why he was persuaded to buy it himself 

If you take a look at the other items he has for sale on his ebay there's a 'Nate Mendel style' P bass. Which he will make 'roadworn' at an additional cost. I wonder if he'll make a better job of it.....And his feedback makes it look like he's a trader with plenty of sold items - mainly Fender basses. He knows exactly what he's up to....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325823504735?hash=item4bdc98215f:g:GFUAAOSwoxFlDE0a

• Like 1

Phew! Glad to hear you got your money back.

If you can be patient for long enough, I'm sure a roadworn will come along at some point. In all honesty, I would wait for one - they are amazing basses. So well made, such top quality, great sounding with lovely feeling necks.

My current fave P bass is a Mex "classic series" Precision. It's poly finish, not nitro, but these were made alongside the RW series, I believe.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marc S said:

Phew! Glad to hear you got your money back.

If you can be patient for long enough, I'm sure a roadworn will come along at some point. In all honesty, I would wait for one - they are amazing basses. So well made, such top quality, great sounding with lovely feeling necks.

My current fave P bass is a Mex "classic series" Precision. It's poly finish, not nitro, but these were made alongside the RW series, I believe.

Yes I think I’ll see if one pops up 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Duroc17 said:

Yes I think I’ll see if one pops up 

Not sure if you’ve seen it but will at Bassbros has got a 60th Anniversary Road Worn ’60s Jazz Bass in Firemist Silver , I’m not trying to spend your money 😁, I was just browsing basses as usual 

8 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Not sure if you’ve seen it but will at Bassbros has got a 60th Anniversary Road Worn ’60s Jazz Bass in Firemist Silver , I’m not trying to spend your money 😁, I was just browsing basses as usual 

Yes saw it but the pau ferro neck - I’m not keen - but nice bass

• Like 1

Ah, THIS eBay seller, bassitup2010, complete and total fraudster, sold me a fretless bass making all sorts of claims that I could establish were clearly 100% untrue when I opened the box, yet still he persisted, "It's an original Allparts neck that i bought new for several hundred pounds in the 1980s and have been playing it since then" of a cheap Chinese made neck that was pretty much brand new and clearly unplayed. He plays on this "I'm a bass player these are my basses I'm selling" bull, he just buys cheap tack and presents them as quality instruments. Complete derrière, avoid like the plague :( 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Beedster said:

Ah, THIS eBay seller, bassitup2010, complete and total fraudster, sold me a fretless bass making all sorts of claims that I could establish were clearly 100% untrue when I opened the box, yet still he persisted, "It's an original Allparts neck that i bought new for several hundred pounds in the 1980s and have been playing it since then" of a cheap Chinese made neck that was pretty much brand new and clearly unplayed. He plays on this "I'm a bass player these are my basses I'm selling" bull, he just buys cheap tack and presents them as quality instruments. Complete derrière, avoid like the plague :( 

And BTW, that was the polite version :) 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Beedster said:

And BTW, that was the polite version :) 

I had a lucky escape I wish I’d looked properly just cost me £20 in Errol and 3 hours in time but as long as we know his name in this community- Leon the Bassist on Facebook too