Why become a member? ×

More Band Drama?

dclaassen

I would appreciate the collective's opinion on this...

We are putting together a start-up country/Americana band. Great personnel, but so far, (2 mos) we have gone though a drummer (without one at the moment) and 2 guitarists. I have not picked up on any particularly toxic vibes from the BL, but often am too dense to pick up on stuff. Also, the two in charge have cancelled several scheduled rehearsals (day before or same day), which, honestly, bugs me more. I passed up Champion's League tickets tonight to attend a rehearsal that has been called off 6 hours before it was due to start. 

So...thoughts? They are really talented, and we could have a great group, but......

Thanks in advance...

• Like 1

Do the "two in charge" have much previous gigging form?

The situation you're describing sounds like one of those projects that never really gets off the ground because some members like the idea of being in a band more than the reality of actually commiting the time and effort to make it happen.

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, Cato said:

Do the "two in charge" have much previous gigging form?

The situation you're describing sounds like one of those projects that never really gets off the ground because some members like the idea of being in a band more than the reality of actually commiting the time and effort to make it happen.

I hope that is not the case. I endured that same stuff for about 6 months with another "band" that never made it out of the rehearsal room. These folks have one gig booked, but are being mysteriously vague about anything else. I think we will have a frank discussion this week. We have about a 20 songs gigable right now....

• Like 2

I think it’s very useful for your decision to already have a gig in the diary. For me, if that got postponed or cancelled (for no good reason) I’d decide the band wasn’t worth persevering with. 
I too would be annoyed at cancelled rehearsals. There can be good reasons why people have to do that; but frequently? That’s not going to work out well.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

I think it’s very useful for your decision to already have a gig in the diary. For me, if that got postponed or cancelled (for no good reason) I’d decide the band wasn’t worth persevering with. 
I too would be annoyed at cancelled rehearsals. There can be good reasons why people have to do that; but frequently? That’s not going to work out well.

That's my view...once a rehearsal is in the book, it needs to come off. Am I being too inflexible about that? Honestly, I'm new to bands in the UK (used to the Midwestern US), but I think I need to find an existing band that already has a following and active gig diary. This startup stuff is proving to be frustrating...especially when you're not in charge. I also think it is easy to say "just quit", but I don't have anyone knocking down my door for my services, although I am a proficient player, have my own good quality PA, and good transportation..oh, and I show up to both gigs and rehearsals...:) 

• Like 4

Got red flags all over it.

You'll find the best players are the flakiest.

If you want to get gigging, find the players that want to do that and driven to do it (not just say they are keen do it).

Choose the songs to maximise on the abilities of the players, not necessarily the songs that you'd want to do - but you can get sounding tight. The audience rarely know the difference between good players and great players anyway. Best to have a band that is rehearsed and reliable - rather than a band that is always thrown together with deps, or where you are cancelling all the time because of availability.

Of course, I don't know if you want to play for money, or purely for enjoyment. If it's the latter, it can be more difficult if you aren't vibeing as much off your band members playing.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

That's my view...once a rehearsal is in the book, it needs to come off. Am I being too inflexible about that? Honestly, I'm new to bands in the UK (used to the Midwestern US), but I think I need to find an existing band that already has a following and active gig diary. This startup stuff is proving to be frustrating...especially when you're not in charge. I also think it is easy to say "just quit", but I don't have anyone knocking down my door for my services, although I am a proficient player, have my own good quality PA, and good transportation..oh, and I show up to both gigs and rehearsals...:) 

I feel your pain. I’m pretty well-off band-wise at the moment but there was a time when it just didn’t seem to be happening. So, what I did, partly by happy accident, was link up with a guitarist/vocalist and we performed as a duo. We did acoustic blues ( think Eric Bibb, Keb Mo plus older stuff and a few originals) and were pretty busy. I had to step up to the plate and do some vocals, but no one died, on-stage or off 😆. Eventually, contacts I made led back to being in bigger ensembles. So, maybe that’s a way forward for you, especially if you want to do country/Americana. You only need one like-minded, committed partner to find.

Plus, it seems gigs are easier to find for solo performers and duos at the moment.

Good luck.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Got red flags all over it.

You'll find the best players are the flakiest.

If you want to get gigging, find the players that want to do that and driven to do it (not just say they are keen do it).

Choose the songs to maximise on the abilities of the players, not necessarily the songs that you'd want to do - but you can get sounding tight. The audience rarely know the difference between good players and great players anyway. Best to have a band that is rehearsed and reliable - rather than a band that is always thrown together with deps, or where you are cancelling all the time because of availability.

Of course, I don't know if you want to play for money, or purely for enjoyment. If it's the latter, it can be more difficult if you aren't vibeing as much off your band members playing.

I don't really care about the money so much...good thing in the current environment.  I want to do some gigs and get folks up on a dance floor..that has alway been the most enjoyable thing for me. 

• Like 2

I recall @dclaassen mentioning in a previous thread that you had just moved from the U.S. to the back end of nowhere and were finding it very tough to find bandmates.  Well it looks like you found some and if you have 20 songs down you all must have had plenty of rehearsals already.  A gig booked is great but you haven't got a drummer, so unless you find one soon the gig isn't likely to happen.

I can understand you might want to persevere, as its often difficult finding non-flaky bandmates, even in London, but if the others aren't on the same page as you it's going to be painful.  Like you mentioned above, a frank discussion would be a very good idea.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dclaassen said:

I passed up Champion's League tickets tonight to attend a rehearsal that has been called off 6 hours before it was due to start. 

So...thoughts? They are really talented, and we could have a great group, but......

Thanks in advance...

Dear oh dear, you got your priorities mixed up. I remember a story about Half Man Half Biscuit turning down a chance to appear on The Tube as Tranmere had a home game. Take note!😁

• Like 2

Tell the bandleader(s) you're not happy with the last minute cancellations, and if it happens again within (insert patience-length appropriate time period here), you'll be off, then stick to your word.

I wouldn't leave without telling them why - bands fall apart and reform, and by letting them know its the logistics that's putting you off, an incarnation with better organisation might be calling you up. 

Good luck 

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1