Why become a member? ×

Gibson Gene Simmons EBO

JohnDaBass

I wonder what led them to put the price point as high as it is? greed? Or just that they know some mug with too much money will pay whatever they ask?

I just don't get where some of these companies get their pricing structure from. 

Are the components , wood of this one of incredibly high value? Or is it just the name at the end of the neck?

I'd like to know their justification for such a price, it just doesn't seem anything like good value to me. Maybe its me and my cheapskateness , but for 7k it better bloody play itself and make me look good (no small feat)

• Like 2

On 20/09/2023 at 20:15, Thump said:

I wonder what led them to put the price point as high as it is? greed? Or just that they know some mug with too much money will pay whatever they ask?

I just don't get where some of these companies get their pricing structure from. 

Are the components , wood of this one of incredibly high value? Or is it just the name at the end of the neck?

I'd like to know their justification for such a price, it just doesn't seem anything like good value to me. Maybe its me and my cheapskateness , but for 7k it better bloody play itself and make me look good (no small feat)

I think a lot of that will have to do with Mr.Simmons. For Gibson to use his name to sell their product he will want to clear $XXXX per unit. He won't give a flying doodad what the final price is, as long as he clears his figure.

He has been pre-selling the basses he will be playing at the final KISS gig in NYC and they were more expensive than these.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thump said:

It's in the same price bracket as other recent Gibson Custom Shop models.

Also I don't think this is even necessarily aimed at bass players.

Kiss have an exceptionally devoted following, especially in the US, many of them pretty affluent.

The top tier Kiss memorabilia collectors will want this whether they can actually play the thing or not.

• Like 4

I hadn't considered those who collect memorabilia and such. Some of those people go to crazy lengths to get what they want , and its definite that here are some incredibly wealthy folk amongst them.

It really doesn't matter then if its a good instrument or not , they're going to vanish quickly only to reappear on the 2nd hand market with an even more ridiculous price , and they'll still sell. the worlds gone mad

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Thump said:

I hadn't considered those who collect memorabilia and such. Some of those people go to crazy lengths to get what they want , and its definite that here are some incredibly wealthy folk amongst them.

It really doesn't matter then if its a good instrument or not , they're going to vanish quickly only to reappear on the 2nd hand market with an even more ridiculous price , and they'll still sell. the worlds gone mad

I think to some it matters, but yes, there are also some that have enough disposable income and just geek out over the band enough to justify the purchase.

I have quite a lot of signature basses, but I would be very unhappy if it was a bad instrument. In fact, I would get rid if it was a duff one.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

I would imagine they won't sell that many? Even if one were a Kiss superfan would you pay £7200 for one? It's a Gibson. The QC won't be amazing. Take off a zero maybe? Or maybe 2 zeros given Gibson's previous bass record recently.

They'll sell.

Take a look at this. They're not priced this way 'not to sell'.

https://www.genesimmonsaxe.com

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

They'll sell.

Take a look at this. They're not priced this way 'not to sell'.

https://www.genesimmonsaxe.com

I must be living under some Welsh boulder as I never realised there was such a huge market for highly priced memorabilia tosh🤑.

I mean to say that's it a completely different ball game compared to auctioning off Eric Clapton's "Blackie" Fender Strat for charity. 

In my limited experience I'm pleased with my US Fender Stu Hamm Urge 1 , Epiphone Rumblekat Alen Woody and Fender Mike Kerr Tiggar/Barbie Jag bass. All reasonably priced very nice, playable, unique basses.

Clearly not memorabilia. 

Edited by JohnDaBass

16 hours ago, Thump said:

Maybe it's like one of those situations where you don't really want to sell your bass but you list it so your wife thinks you're going to sell it?

20210816_110344.jpg

• Like 1

The LP DC Jr is said to be out of production , but is still on the website. It’s similar to this , and a fraction of the price.

Gibson has been doing pricey limited custom runs for quite a while , most have been guitars , but I suppose it’s nice for them to acknowledge the bass section. These will probably quickly sell out, and the new owners will undoubtably be very happy with them. 

Well beyond my snack bracket. And I’m someone that loves Gibson short scale basses.

• Like 2

I mean, it is Gene Simmons and Gibson. Simmons makes no secret of his willingness to merchandise pretty much everything at the expense of good taste or whether it is value for money for the end consumer. This instrument is essentially expected outcome given the nature of the parties involved.  

I have no issue with the pricing on that basis.

I don't know where Gibson's head is at to be honest and I'd say with some certainty that they clearly don't frequent the various bass forums online.  They're ultimately a Les Paul reissue business, or just lazy enough by putting Slash's name on anything.

From a Gibson bass perspective, players don't really want nonsensical Rex Brown or Gene Simmons Thunderbird IVs (or EBOs); there's clearly more desire for faithful reissues of the Thunderbird II, plus Rippers and Grabbers.  Hell, they missed a trick not making some 20/20s three years ago.  More colour choices needed, ditching of the three-point bridge etc. 

The only reason Gibson reissued the (frankly awful) non-reverse Thunderbird about ten years ago is because Bach had a lot of success with their model (which was pretty close to Gibson specs and ultimately customisable) and they could probably sniff some profit.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I don't know where Gibson's head is at to be honest and I'd say with some certainty that they clearly don't frequent the various bass forums online.  They're ultimately a Les Paul reissue business, or just lazy enough by putting Slash's name on anything.

From a Gibson bass perspective, players don't really want nonsensical Rex Brown or Gene Simmons Thunderbird IVs (or EBOs); there's clearly more desire for faithful reissues of the Thunderbird II, plus Rippers and Grabbers.  Hell, they missed a trick not making some 20/20s three years ago.  More colour choices needed, ditching of the three-point bridge etc. 

The only reason Gibson reissued the (frankly awful) non-reverse Thunderbird about ten years ago is because Bach had a lot of success with their model (which was pretty close to Gibson specs and ultimately customisable) and they could probably sniff some profit.

To be fair, the Bach version was much better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

You must have played both then.

I did indeed. A couple of friends had one of each at roughly the same time, so I asked if it'd be possible to try them both.

Obviously, my opinion is subjective of course as to what constitutes "better" per se, but I feel Gibson would have to up their game a lot to get me to buy a bass from them. I got an Epiphone Silverburst Thunderbird earlier this year and that's brilliant. For me, easily better than any of the recent Gibson ones.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wolverinebass said:

I did indeed. A couple of friends had one of each at roughly the same time, so I asked if it'd be possible to try them both.

Obviously, my opinion is subjective of course as to what constitutes "better" per se, but I feel Gibson would have to up their game a lot to get me to buy a bass from them. I got an Epiphone Silverburst Thunderbird earlier this year and that's brilliant. For me, easily better than any of the recent Gibson ones.

Good opportunity, stars don't often align like that.

And I totally agree with you on Gibson at the moment.  They're not dead to me, but they're definitely on life support.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

To be fair, the Bach version was much better.

The Gibson reissue was a dog.  See thread elsewhere.  I suppose - well, to a degree - I was just expecting to see an upsidedown version of the IV; light in weight, fast in neck and bright tonally.  I don't really care for alphabetical profile categories, but the neck was fat'n'chubby, tonally there was zero brightness, just mud and it weighed way more than the IV.  I used it for about ten minutes at a little gig just a few days after I got it and changed back to my old white Thunderbird for the remaining 30 minutes of the set.  Never used it in anger again.

I noodled on a modded Bach for a few minutes and it was everything that I wanted the Gibson to be.  Lovely neck. 

• Like 2

On 20/09/2023 at 20:15, Thump said:

GENE.