Why become a member? ×

Is 4 strings really enough? (Oooo i went there)

BigJHW

1 hour ago, miles'tone said:

Surely George Peppard was a 4 wheel man,

As in the count of alloys on The A-Team van,

There could be 12 on an aeroplane,

where B.A. Baracus would have to be restrained. 

(pass the milk)

A dozen wheels on the Sci-Fi truck

When Georgie P tested his luck

As we saw him bravely sally

Into the Damnation Alley

• Like 1

Once upon a time, there was a bass player named Bob who was convinced that five strings were better than four. He had a beautiful five-string bass that he loved more than anything in the world. He would often lecture his bandmates about the superiority of five-string basses, and he would even refuse to play with anyone who didn't play a five-string.

One day, Bob's band was invited to play at a big gig. Bob was excited, but he was also nervous. He knew that there would be a lot of other musicians at the gig, and he wanted to impress them.

Bob arrived at the gig early and started to set up his gear. He tuned his bass and plugged it into the amp. Then, he started to play a few scales.

As Bob was playing, a man walked up to him. The man was tall and thin, with long hair and a beard. He was carrying a four-string bass.

"Hey," the man said. "I'm Jim. You must be the bass player."

"Yes, I am," Bob said. "My name is Bob."

"It's good to meet you, Bob," Jim said. "I'm impressed with your bass. It's a beautiful instrument."

"Thank you," Bob said. "I'm very proud of it."

"So," Jim said. "You're a five-string bass player, huh?"

"Yes, I am," Bob said. "I believe that five strings are better than four."

"Well," Jim said. "I don't agree with you. But I'm open to hearing your arguments."

Bob was excited to finally have a chance to debate the superiority of five-string basses. He explained to Jim all of the advantages of five-string basses, such as the extended range and the ability to play more complex melodies.

Jim listened patiently to Bob's arguments. When Bob was finished, Jim smiled.

"I see your points," Jim said. "But I still believe that four strings are enough. For me, it's all about the feel of the instrument. I just love the way a four-string bass feels in my hands."

Bob was disappointed, but he respected Jim's opinion.

"Well," Bob said. "I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree."

"Yes," Jim said. "But we can still play some music together, right?"

"Sure," Bob said. "I'd like that."

Bob and Jim played together for the rest of the night. They played all sorts of music, from jazz to rock to blues. They had a great time, and they learned a lot from each other.

At the end of the night, Bob thanked Jim for playing with him.

"It was my pleasure, Bob," Jim said. "I had a great time."

Then, Jim leaned in close and whispered in Bob's ear.

"You know," Jim said. "I think you're a great bass player. Even if you do play a five-string."

Bob smiled.

"Thank you, Jim," he said. "That means a lot."

Bob walked home that night with a new perspective on five-string basses. He realized that it's not the number of strings that matters, but the skill of the player.

• Like 5

The answer to the question is it's very much down to the individual.
If I was starting again now, I'd plump for all 5-string basses with a low B and go no further than owning half a dozen of the things.
A friend of mine has a 5-er with a top C and I just don't see the point in that. Even he doesn't use it the way that stringing suggests.

I have never been at all interested in 6-string basses, as I barely use my 5-string enough to get comfortable with where I am on it.
A 6-string with a load of high range I have no interest in doesn't attract me at all, but that's my preference.
If someone else wants those high notes good for them.

16 hours ago, xgsjx said:

I remember seeing a Billy Sheehan interview & the interviewer asked why he doesn’t play a 5 string. 
His answer was along the lines of “I’m still learning how to play 4 strings”. 

Imagine someone asking a violinist that same question...

That said Billy Sheehan knows perfectly well how to play 5 and 6 string bass, and does in fact also do so on some recordings.

But I guess his point is that it is not like playing a 4 strings bass exclusively will ever make you run out of musical possibilities or that it will ever prevent you from developing your playing further or yourself further as a musician, that it is in fact not really musically limiting in any way or makes you any less of a musician (hence my initial reference in this reply to a violin player).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

When listen to James Jamerson playing For Once In My Life, I am astounded at how much music he gets out of just 4 strings. 

Thus, 4 strings are enough. 

I play a 5 string bass because that was what I was offered.  Also, I previously played guitar, and wanted my new instrument to be something different to whatever I had played before.  I wanted to force myself to think differently. 

That said, the B string was too poor to encourage me to play across the neck, and I did not initially grasp the concept that B string 6th fret gave me an F, as an alternative to the E string 1st fret.

18 years later, I am now using the B string to play across the neck, and have a new bass with a righteous low B (and C and D).  However, I still can't play like James Jamerson!

Edited by bass_dinger
  • Like 1

Of course 4 is enough but, when it isn’t, then a 5 will be. Likewise the 6+ string bass players might say a 5 isn’t enough for what they need.

I’ve nearly always had a 4 and a 5 in my rack. Currently the 4 gets the most playtime but, I like having the extra versatility of a 5 available to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

"3 strings are enough" is somewhat of a bit less credible quote from a man who is known for playing a 12 string Chapman Stick. ;)

And primarily plays 5 string Stingrays.

As I said, whatever gets the job done for the person playing at the time is enough, Tony was thrown in for poops and giggles. 

• Like 1

I’ve just recorded a 12 song album this week. I used the D string for one note, didn’t use the G string. Which of course says more about my style of playing than number of strings needed.

But for me it all comes back to the tools for the job thing. I’d have no problem using a 5 string bass if it were the best instrument for me (including the required ergonomics given my glass back) even if I didn’t use either the low B or the G. 

In other news... "Pianists: are 88 notes too many?", and an organist confirms that they really do use all the notes on all 5 manuals and the 25-note foot control too.

Our bluegrass correspondent will be asking mandolin players if they ever use the frets on the funny little extension on an F Style mandolin.

And why do folk guitars have frets above the 5th, when many players do not use them? 

But first, primary school recorder players- is one note too many? 

The more I think about this, the more I realise that many instruments have unused notes! 

No 8 string guitarists here? :D

As a recent convert to bass I really see the appeal now, maybe an octave pedal in there for more lows. At least to experiment with.

As my dad taught me, "The number of strings isnt a measurement of your genitalia son... its the type of car you have..." ;)

I don't see it as an either/or.

• I like Rickenbacker 4-strings, with a drop-D eXtender if they fit the model.
  • I like my Warwicks best of my 5-strings.
  • In the past I've used bass pedals to play below E down to C for odd notes.

I've also got a fretless, a short scale, one or two guitars (including one tuned to DADGAD), a mando tar, and maybe one or two other things.

I've not got to a 6-string bass yet, but I'd likely have low B and high C to cover both ends of the spectrum.