Why become a member? ×

40th Anniversary Precision £259 at Thomann!

Frank n funker

Too good to be true? I'll find out when it comes next week!

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_40th_anni._p_bass_dr.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw6eWnBhAKEiwADpnw9mDPt0TJAStbmdoXvxKbou7PoAnBDjS7cEBXw03oGhl0wPt_U0zNkBoCYqAQAvD_BwE

It's been a couple of years since I moved on my last bass, a Sire V7.  I stupidly sold my USA Fender P about 10 years ago and have regretted it to this day! Hopefully this will ease the pain somewhat.

My order is confirmed, can't believe they're selling at this price! No mention of B stock on the website.

Can't wait to get playing again 👍

• Like 8

Luckily my GAS levels are fairly low. I am not 100% sure but I seem to remember prices started going down already a few months after launch. Not Thomann sells them pretty much at the price of an Affinity PJ. I suspect they were not as big a success as Fender initially expected. Maybe this is down to all that gold - it's a personal taste but I just find them ugly.

Still, if I could buy a bass now I would buy one of these Ps

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Paolo85 said:

Luckily my GAS levels are fairly low. I am not 100% sure but I seem to remember prices started going down already a few months after launch. Not Thomann sells them pretty much at the price of an Affinity PJ. I suspect they were not as big a success as Fender initially expected. Maybe this is down to all that gold - it's a personal taste but I just find them ugly.

Only a gold anodised pickguard on the dakota red and vintage blonde models, easy change 👍

• Like 2

Good luck with your new P bass...true P bass tone and the necks feel so much nicer than the necks of their Vintera counterparts.

Pretty much the same sale has been happening here all summer. No wonder Squier's selling more basses than they ever have before, probably moving more P and J basses than similar Fender MIMs.

I wanted a Fender Vintera bass, but not for the USA-made prices Fender was asking for them.

Good thing I wasn't in a rush because I bought both of these on sale last month for less than the price of 𝘰𝘯𝘦 Vintera.

PhotoCollage_1693651973789.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Paolo85 said:

Although I don't mind the gold pickguard, I might try a black or red tort on it when it arrives.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tauzero said:

I notice that "nato" now has a couple of extra letters. Is this to avoid offending Russian oligarchs who might fancy buying the odd thousand guitars from Thomann?

Nyatoh is actually a different species with a similar name. 

If I was doing a bit more gigging and could justify a third bass I'd have one of those desert sand P's to match my Late 50s sunburst. Only new instrument I've bought in years (as opposed to the many many used ones...) but glad I did. 

7 minutes ago, Cato said:

I wondef if the bargain price is anything to do with this.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/fender-100-million-dollars-sales-cancelled-post-pandemic

The article is about Fender but I wonder if they made too many Squiers as well, after all the 40th anniversary was in 2022 and we're now into the 9th month of 2023.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of impact from this. These basses do seem readily available which is a surprise considering the buzz and positive reception/reviews about them. Plus, being a little special in the sense of being a 40th Anniversary Vintage Edition, you'd think they'd be snapped up by now. So I do suspect Fender over manufacturered and retailers have surplus stock. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cato said:

I wondef if the bargain price is anything to do with this.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/fender-100-million-dollars-sales-cancelled-post-pandemic

The article is about Fender but I wonder if they made too many Squiers as well, after all the 40th anniversary was in 2022 and we're now into the 9th month of 2023.

Can we assume that other brands such as Cort, Ibanez, Sire etc will also be affected & will have to lower prices to reach their sales objectives? Or is it just an isolated case due to the fact that those are stamped 40th Anniversary and that the anniversaey year is now behind us?

23 minutes ago, neil___lien said:

Can we assume that other brands such as Cort, Ibanez, Sire etc will also be affected & will have to lower prices to reach their sales objectives? Or is it just an isolated case due to the fact that those are stamped 40th Anniversary and that the anniversaey year is now behind us?

I think maybe the 40th anniversary guitars are a little more conspicuous than other models/brands and their comparitively low RRP may mean that it's not economically viable to rebadge or tweak the remaining stock so maybe there's a bit more urgency in running down stock of that particular line.

I got the impression from other articles on the same subject that Fender is intending to eventually release the overstock to the market while cutting factory production until that stock is gone.

Edited by Cato

13 hours ago, neil___lien said:

It reads to me like the 40th anniversary thing is just coincidental timing, and I'd guess Fender might be more impacted as they often make up a large proportion of shop stock compared to other brands.