Why become a member? ×

Why do you play bass like that?

CiciBass

Hope it’s okay to share this - no idea if it’s of any interest to anyone here, but I thought it might be worth sharing anyway.
The reason I filmed this - and the reason I’m posting this here (mainly for the topic in the first half of the video), is because I think it’s an interesting discussion about using many effects with bass :) This is just my two cents and thoughts on that, and a few other things. (Thought it was better to just post the video rather than write it out).

Feel free to remove if it’s against the rules!

Edited by CiciBass
better wording
  • Like 19

On 29/08/2023 at 19:58, CiciBass said:

Hope it’s okay to share this - no idea if it’s of any interest to anyone here, but I thought it might be worth sharing anyway.
The reason I filmed this - and the reason I’m posting this here (mainly for the topic in the first half of the video), is because I think it’s an interesting discussion about using many effects with bass :) This is just my two cents and thoughts on that, and a few other things. (Thought it was better to just post the video rather than write it out).

Just with regards to the bit where you talk about being challenged about being too good for a woman...

Years ago I was in a pub pool team, one of our very best players was a young woman, on her day she could beat anyone.

There were at least 3 occaisions I personally witnessed during league games against other pub teams when after she'd beaten a male opponent the blokes actually stormed out of the pub and didn't come back.

It was like on some level they actually couldn't cope with the concept that a 20 year old woman was a better player than them.

Anyhoo the moral of the story is that some people are d1cks and their opinions on what women or anyone else should/shouldn't be capable of can be soundly ridiculed then ignored.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, CiciBass said:

@CiciBass As far as I'm concerned, using any effects is fair game. Otherwise everyone would still be playing a precision with flats playing a singular root note per bar with the kick drum.

From a personal perspective, I think your use of effects is great. Very creative and expressive. Isn't that why any of us play music?

You don't have to justify yourself to anyone. I'm sure some of the folk commenting on your appearance or style on YouTube are probably still muttering something about "that third Billy Goat Gruff" they met the other day.

• Like 2

That is what I prefer to do. Sadly there are many people who don’t let my bass do the talking (many of those reasons are mentioned in the video), so my voice has to - so I made this video as it’s something that is barely spoken about, but deserves to be. :) 

Edited by CiciBass
  • Like 5

I watched the vid last night. I really don't understand the mindset of people who question why you dress or look a certain way. I can sort of understand why they query the way you play or the fact that you are a girl - they are dinosaurs. 

Keep on being you.

• Like 2

I gave the video a watch and saw you had 19k subscribers so watched some of your other content. 

This video is quite a bit different to the other videos you have done, my comment would be if you are going to do any more long pieces to camera that you script a bit more of it out. Maybe not the actual words, but more of the subject matter and theme. Just felt it was difficult to follow as it jumped about a bit.

Anyway, most people ignore comments in YouTube videos don't they? Mostly inhabited by trolls who've never created any content or done anything of note themselves. 

• Like 2

Thanks so much for the feedback, and for taking the time to check out my other stuff too! :)

Are you meaning I should’ve scripted out the video in this thread?

If so,

I did have set questions which I then answered in sequence, all following the same subject (common misconceptions I, and other people, face, and the answers to those misconceptions), but anything beyond that would’ve gone against what I’m talking about in the video (I.e being genuine and expressing freely). Sorry if there was anything I missed and could’ve done better, I appreciate the feedback!

Also for what it’s worth, personally I’m not a fan of scripted videos, I find them distracting (and occasionally disingenuous), even to watch, and there are so many out there. This video (and much of my channel) is more of a flow of consciousness, and showing myself as I am rather than anything scripted for the internet.

I like seeing people show themselves in this way, as I think it’s quite a rare (or at least difficult to find) thing these days.

But I can also absolutely see the value in scripted videos if it’s fitting for the subject matter (like a teaching video for example) :)

I can completely understand why you would feel that way though, and that’s completely fine. I just wanted to offer a bit more context to the video, my channel, and the foundation it’s been built on. Hope I explained that ok! :) Thanks so much for the feedback as well!

Edited by CiciBass
  • Like 3

I watched a few minutes of the video, and then skipped to the music bits.  My view is its up to you to play, look or use equipment how you want to.  I love the solo bass stuff, you get some terrific noises and feelings coming across.  As long as you keep doing what you want to, then go for it.

Jonny

• Like 3

3 hours ago, fleabag said:

Vive la difference !!   as they say in ...somewhere.   As the wonderful Sheryl Crow said ( she's fabulous live, ask me how i know )  " If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad  "

Carry on Cici.

unless the person in question is a serial killer 😆

Bassists... I've seen some other instrument players that know exactly how and what a bassist should play, and some even say how should we look. Go that way and nobody likes you.

Take your own path following your passion, and work hard. Someone finds your flourishing stuff, and finds it enchanting.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2023 at 19:58, CiciBass said:

This is what stands out to me most (although I've not watched the video yet 😀). It makes me sad that posters (not just on BC) who think it's necessary to back themselves into a corner of thinking that what you they to say is going to be disapproved of in some way that it'll need to be deleted.  

Also, we have a crack team of admins and mods who can do that kind of thing without needing to be given permission!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, toneknob said:

This is what stands out to me most (although I've not watched the video yet 😀). It makes me sad that posters (not just on BC) who think it's necessary to back themselves into a corner of thinking that what you they to say is going to be disapproved of in some way that it'll need to be deleted.  

Also, we have a crack team of admins and mods who can do that kind of thing without needing to be given permission!

In the case of BC I don't think @CiciBass needs to be worried, especially given some of the rubbish that gets talked on here!

Elsewhere, particularly on FB, I've found that while a lot is as you describe, some of the "delete if not allowed" crowd overlaps with the "I'm just saying" crowd where they're just daring people to disagree with them so they can cry freedom of speech, cancel culture, or some other bollocks.