Why become a member? ×

Pay-to-play? Play-for-exposure? How about BOTH?

Rich

“are finalising details regarding a paid membership option”, which they claimed “will come with loads of extra benefits both before, during and after performances on the Hochatown Saloon stage”.

I think I`d only cough up if the extra benefits were the type that Motley Crue used to get.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, chris_b said:

From small clubs and pubs to nationwide tours, pay to play has been around since the 60's at least.

It's just another way for lazy promoters to screw musicians.

It's not pay-to-play, it's pay-to-possibly-be-put-on-a-list-to-be-considered-maybe-for-a-support-slot

And who cares?

There are plenty of gigs that pay properly. Simply cross this one off your list and move on. They will probably be out of business before the end of the year.

When I was in The Terrortones the only time we were asked to pat to play was when we were trying to get gigs in Manchester. In the end we stopped trying and concentrated on paying gigs elsewhere in the country. Even London venues paid us.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

It's not pay-to-play, it's pay-to-possibly-be-put-on-a-list-to-be-considered-maybe-for-a-support-slot

Indeed. If one were going to pay this fee it had better come with a guarantee for a certain number of slots otherwise it's not worth it for artists. This just seems like a blatant money grab by the venue.

3 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

And who cares?

Well not you, obviously. You seem to be in the minority so far.

4 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Simply cross this one off your list and move on.

Well, given that it's a} a country music venue and b} in Oklahoma, it would be pretty much off my list even if it was paying $1000 an hour. But thanks for the advice anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

30 minutes ago, Rich said:

Well not you, obviously. You seem to be in the minority so far.

Well, given that it's a} a country music venue and b} in Oklahoma, it would be pretty much off my list even if it was paying $1000 an hour. But thanks for the advice anyway.

Is there actually anyone on Basschat in Oklahoma who plays C&W and desperate for a gig at this venue?

We're a UK based forum. There are venues closer to home that are actually worth getting worked up about how they treat musicians.

I think it’s good to be aware of how our musical colleagues are being treated around the world. Whilst pay to play is nothing new this is the first time I’ve heard of pay to be put on a list to possibly play, the greater awareness we have of rubbish like this the better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I seem to recall, a fair few years ago, a band I was in at the time were looking at doing a gig at the Purple Turtle near Camden, and it subsequently transpired that they were trying it on with some kind of pay to play schtick, so we told them to shove it and it never happened. 

That's about the only time I've personally encountered the phenomenon, maybe it's more of a thing in the US?