Why become a member? ×

Flats uurrggg

I’ve tried flats various brands and types over the years and never really liked them at all.

recently against my better judgement I decided to put some Rotosound jazz flat’s on my Fender P/J and to my surprise I still don’t like Flats, been on 2 weeks took them off and put done Steel rounds on and keerrpoowww dynamic power. 
I’m sure Flats are just fine for some people but to me they’re just like chewing on a sticky toffee that just sticks to your teeth.

anyway if anyone wants a set if Hardly used flats bargen to be had, they will be on the marketplace very soon.

Rotosound jazz flats are the only flats I don't like. They had far too much tension for me and the last time I bought them the winding was inconsistant making each string felt different.

My curent favourites are:

• D'addario Chromes ECB81M 45-100 on my Fender Mustangs
  • Ernie Ball Cobalt Flatwound Extra Slinky 40-95 on my Epiphone Vintage Pro Thunderbirds

I don't have a favourite roundwound as I don't use them.

• Like 4

Just now, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Rotosound jazz flats are the only flats I don't like. They had far too much tension for me and the last time I bought them the winding was inconsistant making each string felt different.

My curent favourites are:

• D'addario Chromes ECB81M 45-100 on my Fender Mustangs
  • Ernie Ball Cobalt Flatwound Extra Slinky 40-95 on my Epiphone Vintage Pro Thunderbirds

I don't have a favourite roundwound as I don't use them.

I forgot to mention the tension, oh the tension could have used the bass at Agincourt or Crecy 

• Haha 3

Now this is interesting, Rotosound Flats are high tension but boy do they sound great recorded. Just so much presence but yep, I get they are high tension. A lovely alternative is LaBella Low Tension flats. Great tone and not high tension although higher than rounds.

• Like 1

I put flats on my PJ5 because I had heard them on another Mike Lull bass and they sounded like a million dollars. They brought an extra level of authority and that just hit the spot. They were my first flats since 1970. I have added a lump of foam under the strings to maximize the thump.

On the other hand I have the zingiest rounds on my Jazz and a new Ibanez.

You can get a great sound out of most basses, and there are many ways we get there.

• Like 1

I use Labella original 54s on my Yamaha BB . Love them . Fortunately I am a heavy handed ( ham fisted?) player so the tendon snapping tension is never a problem . Never liked rounds since day one of playing the bass . To each their own .....

On 25/07/2023 at 14:11, franzbassist said:

I love La Bella nylon flats.  Also had good success with the Galli flats, so I guess I prefer low tension flats.  I do find that E and B strings are often very dead, thuddy if you will, compared to the higher strings though.

I use LaBella Black Nylon Flats on my Jazz and Stingray and they are incredible. For my Stingray it totally brought it to life 😁

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LowB_FTW said:

Rotosound 77 Jazz Bass flats are my absolute favourite strings.

@Rollin Thunder If it's a 5-string set, I'm interested.

Mark

Moved them on, replaced them with some Newtone SS rounds.  Happier now.

want to like flats but also want to like single malt scotch, but sadly neither are for me.

Flats seem to be a novel thing that I find entertaining for a few hours every so often but really don't need. Fender 9050s were probably my favourite all round, Rotosound probably my least favourite, Chromes sounded fine but felt grippy and unappealing, and Galli Jazz Flats were impressively smooth but didn't sound very inspiring. I eventually worked out that I'd actually sold several basses over the years because I'd stopped playing them... because they had flats on them... so I won't be buying any more!

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

It's not an either/or. Sometimes you need flats. Sometimes you need roundwound strings. 

Nope .. for me I will never need flats !! 

But I’m glad I tried them just to see what all the fuss was about 😉

• Like 1

My JMJ has Fender flats on it and I like them

I recently did a load of gigs with Fender flast on one of my P basses. Sounded enormous and I can now hear flats on many recordings, that I didn't know about.

They didn't really work on the Jam numbers, Stranglers or The Clash but probably only I really noticed.

The Fender ones work for me and I have no intention of trying anything else but if someone gave me a bass to try, with flats and I liked them, I would consider trying them

I started with a set of Olympics, which were from ebay about 12 quid. I lasted one song, far to stiff and quickly switched back to my JMJ. The Fenders tension are very similar to the RS66, although they are a slightly lighter gauge

• Thanks 1

I'm the opposite.  When I was starting bass and trhe first few years in bands, flats were unknown to me.  (It was the 80s and I was a teen.)  There was "something" I didn't like about my sound/feel and after a few years I got so frustrated, I stopped playing bass.  In the mid-1990s someone demoed flats to me and I realized that was the answer!  All my fave recorded bass sounds were from flats and I never looked back.

In my opinion Sadowsky made the best set of flats but judging from the crazy prices for them on Reverb at the moment, they might be discontinued.

• 2 months later...

I used to hate flatwounds, just like OP, but while they are definitely not my preferred cup of tea I've finally have come to terms with that they do have their place, especially on fretless basses.

Though it's still more a case of me having learned to appreciate the kind of tone other people get out of them in the right context, rather than actually enjoying using them myself.

If I really need that kind of tone for a composition/production I just palm or foam mute my roundwound strings and apply some extensive EQ post production.

With the right treatment you can make roundwounds sound exactly like flatwounds, but it is impossible to make flatwounds sound exactly like rounds.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 31/07/2023 at 10:16, police squad said:

My JMJ has Fender flats on it and I like them

I recently did a load of gigs with Fender flast on one of my P basses. Sounded enormous and I can now hear flats on many recordings, that I didn't know about.

They didn't really work on the Jam numbers, Stranglers or The Clash but probably only I really noticed.

The Fender ones work for me and I have no intention of trying anything else but if someone gave me a bass to try, with flats and I liked them, I would consider trying them

I started with a set of Olympics, which were from ebay about 12 quid. I lasted one song, far to stiff and quickly switched back to my JMJ. The Fenders tension are very similar to the RS66, although they are a slightly lighter gauge

Thanks for this. 

I'm looking for a set of tapes/ flats for my 33" Chyla with little success. I was considering some Olympics but tension and feel are important to me.