Why become a member? ×

Acrylic basses from China

bottomfeed

I've recently got serious G.A.S. for a transparent body bass!..  the Dan Armstrong ones from the 60's/70's look very cool... but are pretty pricey these days....  recently, Serek make one that looks a little like a Gibson Grabber bass...

Stumbled across the Charlie Jones video of his custom made P basses (fuelled the gas!..) 😎

Charlie Jones plastic P basses

I don't actually need another bass! I mainly play 5 string these days & the only acrylic option, as far as I can tell, are the Chinese, unbranded ones... has anyone had any experience of the Chinese basses?

HTB1Jz1OKXXXXXXLXVXXq6xXFXXXz.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.webp

HTB1FyaRKXXXXXccXFXXq6xXFXXXX.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.webp

PB100309-600x600.jpg

original.jpg

• Like 3

I had a 4-string Wesley Acrylic bass which had the frets taken out, and din't think it was heavy. If was certainly a better instrument IMO than the Squier VMJ that was supposed to replace it.

I've played one of the Percy Jones clear basses, and it was very heavy and pretty horrible to play. Also close up it looked terrible, with lots of unpolished surfaces. While it might look OK on stage or in a video, for a hand-made custom instrument I wouldn't consider that lack of attention to detail acceptable. Again the fit and finish of the Wesley was far superior.

14 hours ago, msb said:

Several friends have picked up the recent Chinese Dan Armstrong branded basses and were surprised at the construction. They said it was much better than they expected.

What? Are NEW Dan Armstrong basses out there??!?!

17 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Who'd have thought it? https://www.ebay.ca/itm/285105361623

… and they ditched the interchangeable pickups and wooden bridge. It’s a shame they’ve branded them as Dan Armstrongs. I know several that were surprised at the quality of what they received , I had read some brutal earlier reviews. They arrived quickly and were delivered in the US for under $400 to your door.

That’s hard to believe!

20 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Looks like the original Dan Armstrongs had two strap pins at the bottom of the body and the Chinese ones just have one.

One look at the bridge and pickup and it’s obviously not original, despite the name on the pickguard. Some Chibsons are said to be getting more difficult to identify , happily not the case here.

Are you considering it - for some reason today I wanderd on Aliexpress and noticed some 5 string acrylics which seem tempting, and cheap enough to get, although I am aware that acrylics tend to be very heavy, so not sure if it is going to end up being something I use.

However, we are the type of group to have as many LEDs as possible, so it could be fun

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Are you considering it - for some reason today I wanderd on Aliexpress and noticed some 5 string acrylics which seem tempting, and cheap enough to get, although I am aware that acrylics tend to be very heavy, so not sure if it is going to end up being something I use.

However, we are the type of group to have as many LEDs as possible, so it could be fun

Well... I didn't mean to! ..but I noticed the 'make an offer' section.. & after a large glass of wine or two.. offered £300.. next day, I saw it was excepted!.. jeez, commited now! ...Here we go!... See what turns up! ? 🤔

Edited by bottomfeed
  • Haha 4

On 19/07/2023 at 22:51, bottomfeed said:

Well... I didn't mean to! ..but I noticed the 'make an offer' section.. & after a large glass of wine or two.. offered £300.. next day, I saw it was excepted!.. jeez, commited now! ...Here we go!... See what turns up! ? 🤔

Double scotch and £235 for me (AliExpress).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Yeh, I was looking at aliexpress - but I am just waiting for one of you to come back and say 'don't do it, its a heavy unplayable lump'!

Well, hang on for a week or so...

Carrier note: [Weifang City] Leaving [Changle County Huanlan Investment Department], the next stop [Weifang Center]

2023-07-21 18:19:53

On 14/07/2023 at 12:17, tauzero said:

Who'd have thought it? https://www.ebay.ca/itm/285105361623

We do all realise these are Dan Armstrong copies - or to be more specific, as they have branding - counterfeits, I hope?

These are available with colour-changing LEDs, if you look around. Just saying. B|

2 hours ago, Bassassin said:

We do all realise these are Dan Armstrong copies - or to be more specific, as they have branding - counterfeits, I hope?

An original 'see through' costs about $5k with re-issues between $2.5k to $3.5k. Nobody here thinks they're getting the real thing for £200.

If Ampeg were bothered there's nothing stopping them sending a message to head office and asking Yamaha to put their legal dept on the case.