Why become a member? ×

Tuner pedals

nilorius

9 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

I use a Donner DT Deluxe (not sure there's anything particularly "deluxe about it though...) because it was cheap and does the job.

From pic in net it looks it has a very big screen and good metal hardwear coted. It is quite small, too, that it why it's - deluxe. 

16 minutes ago, nilorius said:

From pic in net it looks it has a very big screen and good metal hardwear coted. It is quite small, too, that it why it's - deluxe. 

It has a big but simple display, which works well for a big but simple bloke like myself.

Boss TU2: 2000-2008 - it got lost/stolen

Boss TU2: 2008 - 2018 - it got moved to my guitar board and I still own it. 

Boss TU3: 2018-now. 

I did have a Kork Pitchblack rack tuner but I thought it was a large and completely unnecessary bit of gear to lug around so it got sold (along with the Mesa M6 amp it was attached to). 

19 minutes ago, neepheid said:

That and nuclear holocaust are the only two reasons a TU-2 needs replacing ;)

Exactly, I was gutted when I lost it because pretty much all of the white pain had been chipped away and the underlying finished had started to rust, so it just looked really cool and roadworn.

I think another acceptable reason for getting rid of a Boss Tuner is 'I am fed up of looking at this thing and need to try something else'.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, thodrik said:

Exactly, I was gutted when I lost it because pretty much all of the white pain had been chipped away and the underlying finished had started to rust, so it just looked really cool and roadworn.

I think another acceptable reason for getting rid of a Boss Tuner is 'I am fed up of looking at this thing and need to try something else'.

Check this out -

https://www.petersontuners.com/products/stompclassic/

I had a TU-2 for a long time. I didn't realise until recently that the TU-2 was the first compact pedal tuner and only came out in '98? So I must have originally got an early one. 

I was playing guitar more than bass and I started struggling with how any TU-2 left my G string sounding. I ended up switching to the Sonic Research ST-200, which has been amazing and my go-to for over a decade. 

I recently got a Sonic Research ST-300 Mini to save board space, and I've put the ST-200 somewhere "safe" and lost it! 

I bought my first tuner (Boss TU-12) back in 1983. At the time I was playing synth in an electronic band and we wanted to stop having to do the "tuning song" at the beginning of our set where we used a middle C drone on the backing tape to tune the synths. We all though it was unprofessional and a terrible thing to have to inflict on the audience. IIRC it cost over £40 which was a significant amount of money back  then and more than any of the effects pedals I had bought previously. I haven't been without some sort of electronic tuning device since then. The TU-12 got repurposed into a 2U rack unit in the early 90s along with a regulated 9V PSU and a couple of interface circuits for the synths I was using at the time. I still have it somewhere in storage.

Edited by BigRedX

Use(d) a Boss TU2 for the last 25 years or so. Funnily enough a TC polytune 3 noir turned up in the post just this morning for my birthday in a week or so. Can’t wait to fit it on my board and save a tiny bit of space. 

polytune's for me, one of the original ones on my main board and a mini 2 (i think) on my micro church board, i had a loan of a TU-2 many years ago (before i got the polytune) and i just didn't get on with it.

i've got a budget ebay special micro tuner somewhere as well but it seemed to  give a click through my amp when i switched it so it's in my box of unused pedals now.

for me the main reason i use a pedal rather than a clip on (of which i own 3 or 4) is that the pedal mutes while tuning, excellent for swapping between instruments or a quick tuning check between songs without having to touch the volume control.

Matt

16 hours ago, neepheid said:

Boss TU-2. Had it for at least 15 years. Will probably get a TU-3 if it ever dies.

I've had both and the TU-3 is quite annoying. Although it is supposed to be more accurate, it seems to be a lot more jumpy making it harder to use in real life.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I've had both and the TU-3 is quite annoying. Although it is supposed to be more accurate, it seems to be a lot more jumpy making it harder to use in real life.

So, a used TU-2 then... :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nilorius said:

So these are bomb proof and utterly reliable if they are plugged into the mains.  If I am honest, I don't understand 95% of the functionality (and hope I never will), They are heavy, but they are very accurate, including those OMG moments between numbers when you think you pulled a little too energetically on a string...

If you look carefully you will see it on mute at the front of my Pedaltrain.

setup723LaklandJoeOsborne.thumb.jpg.b282f5e27aae9cc24ac0e6be3724c497.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Piers_Williamson said:

So these are bomb proof and utterly reliable if they are plugged into the mains.  If I am honest, I don't understand 95% of the functionality (and hope I never will), They are heavy, but they are very accurate, including those OMG moments between numbers when you think you pulled a little too energetically on a string...

If you look carefully you will see it on mute at the front of my Pedaltrain.

setup723LaklandJoeOsborne.thumb.jpg.b282f5e27aae9cc24ac0e6be3724c497.jpg

Yeah, i see it. So, what do You think about the price - is it wourth that ?

I have a Boss TU-3, a Polytine 3, a Polytune 3 mini, a Landlord FX tuner, and also a D'addario clip on.  I don't know why but every now and again, my tuners misbehave and won't work.  At my last gig my Polytune 3 started going funny, that is the letters on the screen just kept jumping around.  I had my clip on with me so I was able to tune.  At the start of the second set I tried the Polytune again and it as fine!  This has happened with both Polytunes and the Boss TU-3, that is why I bought the Landlord FX pedal.

In future I'll take two tuner pedals with me just in case, I don't like clip on tuners.