Why become a member? ×

Fender Mikey Way Jazz bass

jd56hawk

1 hour ago, Lw. said:

Like the paint job, would be fun for playing funk! 
Don't like the price. I know prices are always rising & the fx rate isn't helping but that's a lot of money for a Mexican Fender. 

List on the JMJ Mustang is £1400, which is about the same as the American Pro Mustang. US Js seem to be about £1960. MusicMan are similar with the offshore Ray34 listing at £1200 but a US Ray is £3k! It is all a bit crazy when you look back not that long ago. At least the low end of Fender and MM’s range are still good value, but I can only see them going up too.

Despite the BBOT I'm finding myself really liking this.  Sadly my funds are somewhat depleted at the moment as I have a significant other who keeps spending my gig money....

I've loved having my MW Mustang, I must have done close to 200 gigs with it in the glam band and I'm sure this would be a worthy successor.

Keep dreaming Mart...

8 hours ago, ezbass said:

List on the JMJ Mustang is £1400, which is about the same as the American Pro Mustang. US Js seem to be about £1960. MusicMan are similar with the offshore Ray34 listing at £1200 but a US Ray is £3k! It is all a bit crazy when you look back not that long ago. At least the low end of Fender and MM’s range are still good value, but I can only see them going up too.

Is that how much a JMJ is now? I'm sure they were "only" around 900 not that long ago when I was looking at Mustangs! 

You're right in that these newer Mexican models are making the player series look like a bargain! 

Maybe I'm just getting old - I remember seeing a roadworn jazz in a shop for 695 & thinking it'll never sell for that 😂

Still, price aside I think they look cool & nothing wrong with a bbot imo! 

• Like 1

On 07/06/2023 at 11:36, Rayman said:

At first glance I thought it said Milky Way….. 

Now….. PETE  Way….. there’s a signature Thunderbird waiting to happen.

Yeah a nice Natural grain 76 Thunderbird with sidewinder pups.... If only! 

• Like 1

On 07/06/2023 at 08:57, Linus27 said:

He's the bassist of My Chemical Romance (I only know as it says in the advert as I'd never heard of him either) and it does seem like Fender are scrapping the barrel a bit of this one.

He's in a band who have sold more records and played bigger gigs than many on their endorsement roster. 

42 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

He's in a band who have sold more records and played bigger gigs than many on their endorsement roster. 

Not sure that's entirely true, I would guess that Nate Mendal of the Foo Fighters, Steve Harris of Iron Maiden, Duff McKaggen of Guns n Roses, Mike Dirnt of Green Day, Adam Clayton of U2, Flea of Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Geddy Lee of Rush and Jaco Pastorius have sold way more records and played way bigger gigs than Mikey Way. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had a play in one of these today and was really impressed. If you like sparkly guitars (I do) it's a beaut. The fit and finish are easily as good as anything I've seen from Fender at any level and the neck is just great and incredibly playable. It doesn't feel as glossy as a Geddy Lee for example, which I think is a good thing. 

Sound-wise it's a very good 70's Jazz bass and the pickups are very responsive with lots of useable sounds. 

The one I tried was just over 8.5lbs which is a good weight for one of these (some seem to be nearer 10lbs) and I really like it and it's giving me naughty thoughts.

I appreciate that £1,399 is a hefty price for a Mexican Fender but it's not too far off the JMJ and actually, if I were to buy a new Fender I'd probably go for one of these as opposed to paying another £500 or so for a US Fender where I don't see that the additional premium would get you much more other than a good quality case. I love the colour scheme too with the block neck and can't imagine you'd get a US one in this finish outside of the Custom Shop for some considerable time. 

I don't know who Mikey Way is but he's obviously got some good taste :)

Seriously tempted and need to speak to my wife and start the long conversation about why I need one of these in my life. 

• Like 1