Why become a member? ×

Why are we still doing this?

joel406

11 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

All great stuff Guys but just watched a couple of hours of the Jeff Beck tribute concert on UThube, and not an IEM in sight. 

Lots of titchy, tiny (Fender) combos miked and played at comfortable levels. Lovely sounding Laney Digbeth amp & 4x10 or 4x8 cab.

Am I missing something 😒

I thought I was having deja-vu for a minute, I was pretty sure I had seen this post before ;)

• Haha 1

I think people's stance on this subject may depend on the type of band they're in. I was in a busy covers band where they had an ampless stage and IEMs mixed through a laptop. I was never that happy with my sound (admittedly cheap IEMs) until I had an amp on stage to rumble the floor a bit.

My current grunge/djent originals band is very much old school, we like our amps and much of our tone is dependent on them, also - a band with amps always looks cooler than one without </thread>.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, joel406 said:

3 big shows this week. Loving the QC and my IEMS. Both total game changers. 

Keep humping those rigs guys. It's all downhill from there.

I fail to see what kind of point you're trying to make here.

I'm a big fan of IEM's, silent stages and getting "my sound" via the pedalboard, but I also recognise that approach isn't for everyone. 

Are you just trying to start an argument?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

Are you just trying to start an argument?

I think that's how some folk get their kicks; either that or the OP is so conceited that they are incapable of differentiating between opinion and fact or that other opinions can be equally valid. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, joel406 said:

You do know theres all kinds of bassists on here? From beginners, pub players, club players, pit players, pros, people who do it for fun, touring bands, famous bands, famous bassists and a lot of genuine legends. No ones opinion is worth more than anyone else's. That's what makes this site great - it's a discussion forum, not a platform for im right and youre wrong statements.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, joel406 said:

3 big shows this week. Loving the QC and my IEMS. Both total game changers. . . .

That's good news.

Over the next 2 weeks I have gigs with 4 different bands. They only have vocals in the PA, so my game changers were great sounding cabs that weigh 21lbs each and top quality D class amps.

I don't do "humping". I skip from car to stage like Julie Andrews in the Sound Of Music.

I hope we can be happy that each of us has made the best decisions with regard to our differing requirements.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

I’m a newcomer to bass playing and if any of the IEM evangelists hate their big amps so much send them my way. 
Seems people want to get rid of them but won’t sell them cheaply. Hmmmm. 

Anyway, I’ve had my fair share of manual jobs over the years and the weight doesn’t bother me if someone wants to give me a valve SVT head and matching 8x10. I’ll give it a good home. 😂😂

• Like 4

On 23/05/2023 at 21:05, silverfoxnik said:

I posted the video to show a  example whereby, very experienced musicians and sound engineers, have chosen to go back to using guitar amps - instead of the amp modellers they were using - because, in their experience and within the context of their musical setting, the guitar amps offer a tangible sonic improvement over what is currently available sonically from amp modelling products. 

Their particular gigging situation is obviously more rarified than most of us ever get to experience, but nonetheless, their choice is testament to the fact that guitar amps still offer something important and unique that musicians, sound engineers and producers value. 

If only the sound guys would accept bass tone similarly instead of insisting on taking a DI off the instrument.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, la bam said:

You do know theres all kinds of bassists on here? From beginners, pub players, club players, pit players, pros, people who do it for fun, touring bands, famous bands, famous bassists and a lot of genuine legends. No ones opinion is worth more than anyone else's. That's what makes this site great - it's a discussion forum, not a platform for im right and youre wrong statements.

That's adorable.

• Confused 2

Aside from the OP it's actually been a really insightful thread, it's really interesting to hear how people handle sharing stages with other bands and change overs etc.

It might not be right for my current band but I'm in no way against IEMs. I'd still probably want a BF 112 or something to give a bit of the feels/backup etc but running at much lower levels. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, la bam said:

It`s kind of a Sparctacus thing isn`t it, we`re all right, because we all make the right choices for ourselves - and these may vary from situation to situation as well as from bassist to bassist. 

• Like 3

On 26/05/2023 at 13:51, joel406 said:

Do you realise how tedious you are? It's like a scratched record.

• Like 4