Why become a member? ×

Why are we still doing this?

joel406

On 12/05/2023 at 01:02, joel406 said:

Amps are obsolete. And even the best of em can't beat the sound of in-ear monitoring.

You're doing that old thing. . . . discovering a solution that suits you and thinking you've found the answer for everyone else. 

Amps are not obsolete.

Last year I did gigs with 20 different bands. From fully pro to rank amateur and from festivals to the Dog and Duck. This appears to be my new normal. If I want any consistency in my stage sound I have to provide my own backline.  You're suggestion does not even come close to being a solution for me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 12/05/2023 at 13:38, joel406 said:

One fact remains.

I have been a professional Bassist for a long time. Toured for a lot of people. Used so many amps for so many years. Making the comparison between using amps vs in-ears is a comparison I can make from an educated point of view. 

In-ears are the future. They make your sound viable. On stage amplification is detrimental to the sound you "want" the audience to hear. Stage monitors(wedges) are no different. The quiet stage is the stage that sounds the best. Amps are only used for on stage monitors. And are inefficient. If you move anywhere on stage your mix changes. Things become either overbearing or disappear altogether. In-ears eliminate all of this. 

I'm delighted for you.

I'm not a professional bass player. For me it's a hobby and it's nice to get a bit of money back for doing it. The price of your IEMs alone is more than I'd make gigging in a year. The PA (more accurately, my PA) isn't sufficient to put bass through and I'm buggered if I'm going to spend the money or provide the storage space or haul the heavy gear around or do all the drum micing in order to do that. Plus I'm not sure if the guitarists would want to give up their backline.

So I'd love to go IEM with everything through the PA, but it's never going to happen.

• Like 1

You can get cheap, compact and pretty lightweight subs now which will do the job in most rooms, we use a single Alto which we planned to upgrade but still haven't bothered.

Full band PA used to mean big, heavy and expensive but it's very accessible now.

These threads always get a bit testy and aren't really much help for someone looking to switch to IEMs or wedges.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

You can get cheap, compact and pretty lightweight subs now which will do the job in most rooms, we use a single Alto which we planned to upgrade but still haven't bothered.

Under 15kg and £200 and maximum of a cube 30cm on a side?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, la bam said:

One other thing is you dont need to give up your amps to use in ears. You can use your in ears just for your own monitor mix instead of wedges etc. Ie just tickle through what you need to hear.

Eh...

What?

14 minutes ago, tauzero said:

What a weird requirement!

Check out the little Alto 12 subs, I think ours is a 15 but it's a fair few years old now. Easy one man carry especially compared to out old RCF behemoths.

Kick drum sounds great through it too.

12 minutes ago, la bam said:

One other thing is you dont need to give up your amps to use in ears. You can use your in ears just for your own monitor mix instead of wedges etc. Ie just tickle through what you need to hear.

That’s what one of my fave bands, Booze & Glory were doing last time I chatted with them, still had full backline. They said it really helped rather than the hope/expectations of relying on monitors.

13 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

That’s what one of my fave bands, Booze & Glory were doing last time I chatted with them, still had full backline. They said it really helped rather than the hope/expectations of relying on monitors.

It really does. I dont think I ever had a decent mix using monitors with backline, simply because I had no control over it once set and they were too close to other wedges with other mixes in them. The iems let you just put through what you want into your ears, and theres no extra unwanted noise on stage from 3 or more wedges.

Why would I want to isolate myself when on stage? I am probably not as "Pro" as the OP but ..

.I have had a few years where I paid all my bills by only playing bass, and...

If playing to 2000 is a measure ... I have played Rock City a few times....which leads me to my point.

The onstage monitoring and overall stage sound at Rock City was phenomenal.

The noise of the packed crowd singing every word was so moving and inspirational.

I'm not sure that it would have been so enjoyable with my ears blocked by IEMs.

Edited by Raymondo

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

45 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

What a weird requirement!

Check out the little Alto 12 subs, I think ours is a 15 but it's a fair few years old now. Easy one man carry especially compared to out old RCF behemoths.

Kick drum sounds great through it too.

Why is it weird?

Due to a bad back, I don't want to lift anything over 10kg but I'll stretch to 15 if necessary. I've already put a fair bit of money into PA gear, sod spending a significant extra amount. And I want to be able to store it somewhere in the house. All perfectly logical.

Alto (and I like Alto, I have a pair of TS308s): double specified price, 30% overweight.

Having items stuffed in your ears becomes a necessity after reaching a certain age in this business. My hearing is permanently damaged by playing music. my latest pair of hearing aids cost me $6000 plus. They help but I dislike them intensely. Putting transducers in my ears is less irritating trust me!!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Why is it weird?

Due to a bad back, I don't want to lift anything over 10kg but I'll stretch to 15 if necessary. I've already put a fair bit of money into PA gear, sod spending a significant extra amount. And I want to be able to store it somewhere in the house. All perfectly logical.

Alto (and I like Alto, I have a pair of TS308s): double specified price, 30% overweight.

The 30cm cube bit is an odd specification seeing as it would require a 10 or 8 inch driver. There are smaller cheap ~15kg 10" subs out there but not sure what they're like, I was just a bit surprised by our Alto as it didn't seem as much of a compromise as I thought it would be going from our old PA.

Does nobody else in your band buy/store/transport PA? We got rid of our van ages ago and our amp free setup is easily manageable with small cars, everything we buy is split between 5 of us as we all use it.

2 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

The 30cm cube bit is an odd specification seeing as it would require a 10 or 8 inch driver. There are smaller cheap ~15kg 10" subs out there but not sure what they're like, I was just a bit surprised by our Alto as it didn't seem as much of a compromise as I thought it would be going from our old PA.

Does nobody else in your band buy/store/transport PA? We got rid of our van ages ago and our amp free setup is easily manageable with small cars, everything we buy is split between 5 of us as we all use it.

Right, size specs change to the same dimensions as my GR Bass Cube 800 (40x35x43) so I could stack them up, as I wouldn't want to get rid of my bass amp, not knowing what the future holds.

The band is fairly newly formed and I'm the only one who possesses PA. I'd rather not have the hassle TBH.