Why become a member? ×

Playing a 5 string with only 4 strings. Where to leave the "void"

BELA

Ok. I know. Very weird question.

Let´s say that, for whatever reason (mainly because I am a physco), I want/need to play my 5 string bass with only the BEAD strings. G string is out of the game.

Would you just remove the G string and play it like that or would move the 4 remainig strings down the fretboard?.Why?

I mean, leave the B string place empty. B string  where the E string "should" be, A string where the D string "should" be and D string where the G string was.

I think it all comes down to personal preference, style of playing, etc, but I think it would be interesting to know what do you people think about it.

All feedback will be aprecciated, although I would like you to stick to the question.

Hope this is fun!

5 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

You're probably expecting to be asked why, I won't bother. 

If you want a bass with 4 strings buy a 4 strings and put all this nonsense aside :facepalm:

Simply because I do not get along with the 5 strings and I do not have the money right now to buy a decent 4 string?

But, as I said in my post, mainly because I am a pshyco and cannot stop doing nonsense stuff 

This 5 string bass is a custom made, headless, medium scale, left handed bass. Not so easy to sell, you know.

1 minute ago, nige1968 said:

Swap the nut and bridge to make a wide-neck 4?

I guess if you omit the G you'll have plenty of space to bend the D.

And while you did ask for relevance, I feel the need to post this:

thanks for the video!

The 5 string bass is a headless. I do not think I have the chance to swap the bridge and nut (there is no nut) in this particular model.

3 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Also - if you want BEAD can you not just ignore the G? If it's ringing when you don't want it to, either learn to mute properly or put a bit of foam under that string only at the bridge.

Agree… I’d just do this. Moving the strings might require a new nut, I couldn’t be bothered with that, personally.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I used to play guitar five strings only without the top E, found I preferred the  chord shapes and tuning, got used to it and found it very hard tp go back to six 

Works for Keef.

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Tuned to an open G,

which is kind of what I did with the 4 str. Tenor, tho that's more like a banjo minus the lil' skinny drone string thing

I played in open G, which was/is great for slide.

Would love to see some pics of the bass, it sounds great to me.

Another thing you could do is put some very thick foam under the G string, then you can leave it on and not worry about having to mute it or accidentally sounding it.

• Like 2

Generally, there is a nut and - without changing or re-cutting the nut - the thicker strings aren't going to fit properly in the nut slots if you lose the G and move them all up one (it would work fine if you lost the B and moved them down one!).  With a headless, it might be the same - you  may have a spacer or you may have different size holes which means that you can't move them all across one.

So - if you have restrictions and don't want to mess with the nut/spacer/clamp, then your only option is to leave the remaining 4 where they were

And - if you have no restrictions, then just try it both ways and go with what feels best for you  :)

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 1