Why become a member? ×

Who's got a dedicated chair for practice?

ossyrocks

I need a chair for practice. I've been playing too long in the lounge on low chairs and sofas and it's affecting my right shoulder and elbow. Yes, I can stand to practice, but a couple of hours a night is a bit much.

I need to get some proper posture going on.

Who's got one, and what do you use?

I'm actually thinking of buying a Mapex Drum Throne with backrest !

Rob

• Like 1

I bought one of these years (over a decade in fact) ago, it does the job very well, in that it makes you sit upright and in a dissimilar upper body position to standing. https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/bergmund-bar-stool-with-backrest-oak-effect-gunnared-medium-grey-s99384706/#content

However, a guitarist I once worked with did his back in and bought something along these lines https://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_frameworks_gfw_gtr_seat_with_stand.htm. You can get cheaper ones without the back rest from Stagg, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stagg-GIST-300-Guitar-Stool-Stand/dp/B00FMK9N38

• Like 1

For me practicing sitting down is pointless. I'm not Robert Fripp so I don't play sitting down when I gig. I found that anything I learned to play sitting down had to be re-learnt standing up. Therefore all my playing is done standing up. Having said that I rarely do more than 1 hour at a time these days.

• Like 3

IMHO these can't be beaten:

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/guitar-stool/konig-meyer-14044-performance-stool-black?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=CjwKCAjw3ueiBhBmEiwA4BhspC7eN5VfvECNYAwL0wb-9BBNX9FoQDY3gNz4iKd59C07eXbzz6zv1BoCuPAQAvD_BwE

Especially if you get the back-rest too.

Cheap they ain't, but they'll last as long as you do and they're very well designed and well made. It's not as if you'll need to buy a replacement every few years.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

For me practicing sitting down is pointless. I'm not Robert Fripp so I don't play sitting down when I gig. I found that anything I learned to play sitting down had to be re-learnt standing up. Therefore all my playing is done standing up. Having said that I rarely do more than 1 hour at a time these days.

I do know what you mean. However I'd like to have the bass in the same relative position on my body regardless of whether I'm sitting or standing, so it shouldn't make any difference.

I often play standing up at home, depends how the mood takes me. I have my strap length pretty much the same length for standing or sitting, so no deviance there (or very little). However, the OP needs to sit, so let’s help with that.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I bought one of these years (over a decade in fact) ago, it does the job very well, in that it makes you sit upright and in a dissimilar upper body position to standing. https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/bergmund-bar-stool-with-backrest-oak-effect-gunnared-medium-grey-s99384706/#content

However, a guitarist I once worked with did his back in and bought something along these lines https://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_frameworks_gfw_gtr_seat_with_stand.htm. You can get cheaper ones without the back rest from Stagg, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stagg-GIST-300-Guitar-Stool-Stand/dp/B00FMK9N38

I need height adjustable I think. But I couls sit on our IKEA stools from the kitchen as an interim.

This is great point for gigging guys. Me; I know playing sitting down is easier than standing up and playing. I wish I could be more disciplined  and practice standing up.

Blue

• Like 1

Just now, Bluewine said:

This is great point for gigging guys. Me; I know playing sitting down is easier than standing up and playing. I wish I could be more disciplined  and practice standing up.

Blue

I do play gigs, but I'd like to practice both sitting and standing if I can. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

IMHO these can't be beaten:

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/guitar-stool/konig-meyer-14044-performance-stool-black?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=CjwKCAjw3ueiBhBmEiwA4BhspC7eN5VfvECNYAwL0wb-9BBNX9FoQDY3gNz4iKd59C07eXbzz6zv1BoCuPAQAvD_BwE

Especially if you get the back-rest too.

Cheap they ain't, but they'll last as long as you do and they're very well designed and well made. It's not as if you'll need to buy a replacement every few years.

The attraction of ^ that one is that it's height adjustable and it folds up to stash away. This could be useful considering the size of our house. I would like the backrest too, but the package adds up a bit! At the end of the day, I'll pay whatever I need to for the right thing though.

I've got an office chair with swivelling arms, and I just drop the right arm if I feel the need the left arm doesn't get in the way. I just have to remember that it's swivelled down afterwards.

• Like 1

I've developed a problem playing sitting down which I think I mentioned elsewhere... As soon as I set stuff up and get going, the cat (who's a pretty large cat as they go) jumps up and sits himself down on my lap in front of the bass, acting as a kind of furry string mute, he also wants to be continually fussed etc so won't just settle and let me get on with it. He'll also 'dab' at my hand when I'm attempting to play. shakinghead.gif.4b20b2ec86fdc84f8a7416886795a518.gif

I'll have to try a high stool thing from the kitchen in the hope it won't look so appealing.. 

• Like 2

This is my setup. If I'm transcribing or working on finicky stuff, I'll sit on the bar stool and concentrate on the fingering.

Thank you, that's quite enough from the cheap seats.

Once I've got something nailed, I'll either perch on the edge of the bar stool or stand to practise it. If I have to sing as well, I'll always stand to practise.20230509_232830.thumb.jpg.3675a42a46939efbca6c34416750f605.jpg

Edited by lozkerr
Missed a key point.
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I've developed a problem playing sitting down which I think I mentioned elsewhere... As soon as I set stuff up and get going, the cat (who's a pretty large cat as they go) jumps up and sits himself down on my lap in front of the bass, acting as a kind of furry string mute, he also wants to be continually fussed etc so won't just settle and let me get on with it. He'll also 'dab' at my hand when I'm attempting to play. shakinghead.gif.4b20b2ec86fdc84f8a7416886795a518.gif

I'll have to try a high stool thing from the kitchen in the hope it won't look so appealing.. 

toe —> furry butt —> learning experience 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My strap is also adjusted so that the height of the bass is the same sitting or standing, so seat choice isn't too important.....but noodling in the garage this makes amp tweaking a breeze. 😉

61a87LtDZ8L._AC_UF8941000_QL80_FMwebp_.thumb.webp.c485495b4d2e1b6093ff4d019a6d9dfb.webp

Edited by iconic
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, iconic said:

My strap is also adjusted so that the height of the bass is the same sitting or standing, so seat choice isn't too important

This is what I do - I also play in the classical position when seated.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

I do know what you mean. However I'd like to have the bass in the same relative position on my body regardless of whether I'm sitting or standing, so it shouldn't make any difference.

2 hours ago, BreadBin said:

This is what I do - I also play in the classical position when seated.

I found that even in the days when I wore my bass slightly below my chin, I would hold it at a different angle when I sat, so I would still have to rework stuff that I thought I had mastered once I stood up to play.

Instead of a chair I've invested in a desk that can be raised to a suitable height to be comfortable to use when I am stood up, so that I can do programming and recording without the need to keep shifting from standing to sitting.