Why become a member? ×

Beer gut woe..

Dandelion

In increasing importance. . . . shorten the strap, lengthen the strap, sit down when you play, don't look at the neck, loose the gut.

Sorry to be boring, but bass playing is the least of your problems.

• Like 2

Just now, chris_b said:

Nor Juan Nelson and Travis Carlton. . . . . . . . yet!

Ooops. Just checked and Juan Nelson died in 2021 at the age of 62!

O my bad ,should have checked, for the record which one is Juan Nelson btw. I'll delete it.

Strangely enough I have the same problem which means I can't play any bass without a body cut and even that is now swinging out of sight.  My answer, go on a diet.  I know, it's hard but I'm 'doing' the Fast 800 diet and it actually works!  I've lost a stone and a half since 19th April and apart from my jeans now falling down on their own, it inspires to to carry on.  Slab body basses here I come!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Double bass... 

Could be even more difficult. The combination of beer gut and the curvaceous nature of the double bass body could result in the arms being far too short to reach the fretboard.

Yup.. I read all the above.. Thanks for the input. The side slinging option is interesting.. 

I don't know why I play better when I can see all the strings from the top. When practicing sitting down with the bass on my knee things go so much better. As soon as I stand up and loose sight of the strings I can miss notes. 

51 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Yup.. I read all the above.. Thanks for the input. The side slinging option is interesting.. 

I don't know why I play better when I can see all the strings from the top. When practicing sitting down with the bass on my knee things go so much better. As soon as I stand up and loose sight of the strings I can miss notes. 

I played for about half an hour "side slinging" after I posted it, I found it really comfortable.. kind of resting flat against the hip, in fact I'm going to start using it for a change when playing standing. You can see what you're doing very easily too if you want to look at the markers. 

On 07/05/2023 at 18:42, Dandelion said:

I have a problem with the beer gut. When I stand and play, the gut causes the bass to find a position where I can't see the fretboard. I could shorten the strap and play with the bass hanging under my chin but that is not the aesthetic that I am after. Apart from loosing weight, is there a solution to this? A fancy strap or something? 

Or a girdle... 

Yeah, I have this issue where I'm often playing by feel, which I guess is the aim. When I have to see the fretboard I tend to just lean over until I can see well enough.

My problem comes when practising while sitting. If I don't use a strap my tum will push the bass off my leg; if I do then the bass is angled towards me to such an extent that long stretches become uncomfortable.

• 1 month later...
On 08/05/2023 at 19:19, Dandelion said:

Different situation to the OP - I have a knackered right shoulder, not a beer gut - but I've found the side slinging works for me.
It's a little tougher getting to the lower notes of the neck, but I kinda know what I'm doing down there anyway, it's the higher ones I need to look at the fretboard markers/see the strings for, and the side slinging helps with that aspect of play.

You can even make it work - in a fashion - playing sat down with a strap.

Mark

• Like 1

On 08/05/2023 at 23:19, Dandelion said:

These days I either play sitting down, bar stool with a back so I'm not too low and hunched over, or I just use an EUB, again sitting on a bar stool so I don't expend too much energy. I'm contemplating a chaise lounge for those laid back jazz gigs!

Radical alternative... take up drumming. You spend the whole gig sitting down and it's way easier than playing bass, in fact I don't know what all the fuss is about when it comes to drums. Only downside, way more gear. 

On 08/05/2023 at 19:19, Dandelion said:

When practicing sitting down with the bass on my knee things go so much better.

Replicate this position with a strap, if possible. I certainly try to get my sitting and on the strap position as close as possible to each other. Conversely, play sitting down all the time perhaps?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Replicate this position with a strap, if possible. I certainly try to get my sitting and on the strap position as close as possible to each other. Conversely, play sitting down all the time perhaps?

That’s what I do… the bass stays in the same position when you stand up. It’s a touch too high to be cool, but who cares? I considered playing gigs on a bar stool when I had an arthritic hip… again, who cares?