Why become a member? ×

What Basslines make you happy to play?

How1

"Silly love Songs" makes me smile. The hook is ace and the timing of the notes exquisite. 

"Give it up Turn it Loose" makes me sweat pure joy.

"The Who Who Song" has such a cool bassline to play.

I could go on....and on....and.....

Edited by P-Belly Evans
  • Like 3

There's got to be loads, just quickly off the top of my head this minute.. 

Spanish Bombs, Clash.. You should be Dancing, BGs.. Everlasting Love, Love Affair.. Nervous System, K. Joke... Reptile, The Church.. Unguarded Moment, ditto... Heart like a Wheel, Human League.. Lebanon, also H. League

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Nice one 👍,  it’s fairly straightforward and it’s got a great feel to it 

Sorry, I’m a bit worse for wear 😂. That should have said ‘that’s the first reggae bass line I ever learned’. But yeah, it’s a great bassline. Family Man is a beast. 

• Like 1

Bombtrack; Killing in the name; Bullet in the head - Rage Against The Machine 

He who paints the black of night - The Vision Bleak

In pursuit of Vikings - Amon Amarth

Peace Sells - Megadeth

The killchain - Bolt Thrower

Seasons in the abyss; Black Magic - Slayer

Liar - Motörhead 

Dance commander - Electric 6

Steady as she goes - The Raconteurs

I’m going to stop there.

• Like 1

A real joy to play and relax :

1. I´d love to change the world  (Ten Years After)

2. Loan me a dime  ( Fenton Robinson ? Boz Scaggs? )

3. Mr Big (Free)

Edited by smithy

11 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Oh, what a great song! -  and Anthony Jackson on bass. Always happy to play this, it never gets stale.

Another cracker off the same album from Anthony Jackson.

• Like 1

I guess just about anything Motown and Philly...tons of very musical playing on so many tunes, from early Stevie to The Drifters...its darn good to play.

Dont laugh but one tune I absolutely love playing is Andy Gibbs Everlasting Love.... Its packed with swing, groove and huge subtlety by brother Maurice..

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

Dont laugh but one tune I absolutely love playing is Andy Gibbs Everlasting Love.... Its packed with swing, groove and huge subtlety by brother Maurice..

M. Gibb did some very cool stuff,  (despite how naff I might think the BGs) I picked one of his myself 👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TRB5 said:

took a while but an old mate “tonksy” did a dep with us and having completed a tour with Raul Malo showed us what for.

I am surprised he made it through that tour alive!  By all accounts - an absolute weapon.

15 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Go Your Own Way. Just a perfect example of space between notes and a less is more approach. Love it 

I love this bassline, probably my all time favourite. To quote Mick Fleetwood from the Behind The Music documentary about Rumours, "you're a monster, John!"

• Like 2

Well let's start with anything played by the great famiily Barrett, he was my first bass hero.

Whilst I have played the odd Bob Marley & the Wailers song with various bands. In a few weeks time i'm about to do a dep gig with a Bob Marley Tribute band which will be my first gig where the whole set is covering his music.

I'm really gonna be happy at the end of that gig. 🙂😁

Other than that Stanley Clarke & Marcus Miller tracks that are within my dexterity. A couple of weeks ago i decided to learn Josie by Steely Dan that was great fun and once i'd got the hang of it I found a you tube no bass track of that song so I could play along. At some point I will try to download the track and record my bass over it to hear what it sounds like. 

Actually most of the bass tracks I have learnt make me really happy playing, more so if in a gigging context.

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 3

"Parlance" and "Elder Statesman" both by In Isolation.

These were the first two songs I learned for my audition for the band and the ones that made me hope that I would be chosen (and they are great songs irrespective of the bass lines). They have, for me, the right mix of busy and solidness.