Why become a member? ×

Awa' wi' yer gold-plated oxygen-free cables ... try this instead!

Happy Jack

54 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Yet we still pay thousands of pounds for unbroken solder joints and unmolested paint!

That's different though mate, having nothing to do with audio quality and everything to do with originality which - in the antiques world which is really where the collectable end of the bass spectrum resides - is rare and therefore costly. Point taken though 👍

18 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

And anything that uses "Quantum" in their marketing and blurb is usually a purveyor of pseudo-science...

Or "e-", "i-", "digital-" etc. Recent additions to the list include "eco-" and "green-"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Beedster said:

That's different though mate, having nothing to do with audio quality and everything to do with originality which - in the antiques world which is really where the collectable end of the bass spectrum resides - is rare and therefore costly. Point taken though 👍

I get all that. Just making a glib point (which is what the internet was invented for, eh?)

Bah!

When I want to be energized I plug a cable with exposed wires into the wall socket and grab firmly around the exposed wiring.

No dirty energy at all, just a nice clean shaking, not stirring, of the bodily spirit electrons, that shakes off all that bad dirty energy that tends to cling to them, by effectively unraveling any quantum entanglement happening, easy to vacuum up the floor from the spot you've been standing afterwards, which is crucial for this to really work, to prevent the shaken off bad energy to spread around the house afterwards, and leave you non the better. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 1

On 04/05/2023 at 22:36, Beedster said:

The research all looks legit, but these days, with the proliferation of pay to publish journals, so does everything. As if to prove this fact, my most recent paper "Is it good for metal: a quantitative analysis of resonance patterns in pointy, classic, and hybrid bass guitar headstocks in late 80's rock" is upcoming in the International Journal of Very Important Science. Copies available in request

You've missed a significant category there, the absent headstock, as seen in many an 80s rock video. The peer reviewing is shockingly bad.

On 05/05/2023 at 08:43, Beedster said:

A similar finding to wine experts who, when various wines are chilled to the same temperature, can struggle to differentiate red from white apparently 

This isn't a recycling of the white wine with red food colouring thing is it?

I've been grounding myself for years by means of walking around the garden barefoot & to be honest, I feel different when I do. Would I buy a sheet that plugs into the socket & sleep on it? Nope but I'm not writing off the science.

No-one can argue that we're not walking around constantly surrounded by invisible waves of this'n that & if you believe Nikola Tesla's ideas of energy, frequency & vibration how could anyone be sure that our man-made environment isn't messing with our mojo's?

People believe what people believe & beliefs are powerful shiz man, placebo anyone?

Anyways, I'm officially mental so you really shouldn't listen to a word I type 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 05/05/2023 at 08:08, JoeEvans said:

On the topic of the heading, I once attended a hilarious event in which a load of hifi buffs did a blind test of various eye-wateringly expensive speaker cables. When the results were collated, it turned out that their preferences were entirely random, with no significant patterns at all; not only that but the naughty technician managing it had thrown in two lengths of 1.5mm twin and earth mains cable, which scored just as highly as the £100 per metre ones woven out of unicorn's derrière-hair.

Been there, done that when I worked in audio duplication (spoken books on cassette and CD... so that dates me).  We had to have a reference system to test that randomly selected product was of sufficient quality.  The system had expensive components and interconnects.  For a laugh we hooked up 4 or 5 different speaker cables (twin core cable found left over by a sparky > couple of quid QED cable > all the way up to the reference stuff which was £*** per metre) and did random blind tests... not one person could even remotely identify the most expensive but the 'free' twin core didn't disgrace itself.  A bit embarrassing for one of the lads who had just shelled out a big chunk of cash for his latest speaker cable!  :/

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Horizontalste said:

I've been grounding myself for years by means of walking around the garden barefoot & to be honest, I feel different when I do. Would I buy a sheet that plugs into the socket & sleep on it? Nope but I'm not writing off the science.

No-one can argue that we're not walking around constantly surrounded by invisible waves of this'n that & if you believe Nikola Tesla's ideas of energy, frequency & vibration how could anyone be sure that our man-made environment isn't messing with our mojo's?

People believe what people believe & beliefs are powerful shiz man, placebo anyone?

Anyways, I'm officially mental so you really shouldn't listen to a word I type 😁

If it makes you feel better and you're not charging other people (financially, as opposed to electrically), go for it.

• Like 1

This stems from a basic misunderstanding of grounding and earthing with electrical systems.

The human body and the earth have average zero charge most of the time but this is average. There are chemical reactions going on all the time and elements are swapping charges increasing them positively and decreasing them negatively. It's basic chemistry.

They're getting confused with voltage and the earth is only at 'zero' potential because we use that as a reference for electrical power generation. It's the return path to the power station and is not ever zero. During a lightning storm the local voltage of the earth changes as the charges in the air repel electrons away from them. Then when the ground becomes positive enough there's a huge discharge. 

Put your finger on the tip of your bass lead when the amplifier is on and you hear white noise, that's the radio waves hitting your body and all the charges in your body making all that noise. 

You can't zero them, it's a ridiculous idea. Not least because you'd have to get in a Faraday cage and then stop all the chemical processes going on in your body. Which would generally be a really bad thing for the continuation of your life. 

Edited by TimR

My weirdo of a Mrs has one on our bed. The fekin thing keeps me awake by tangling around my feet. She reckons it can’t go lengthways and has to go from side to side on the bed. Well, it doesn’t any more and she complains about it. It can’t even go below a bed sheet as she’s been told it’s rendered ineffective WTF? Dolt even asked why she doesn’t get a shock as it’s plugged into the mains. Her mum bought some expensive plug testy gadget for her to test it’s safety!!!!!  They come in pairs you know.
I’ve forgotten more painful experiences about the useless elecricless blanket than I care to remember.

By the way, she’s an insomniac that worries about everything. She even worries about not worrying about something will worry her and keep her awake. Floatation, yoga, up and down at all fekin hours ringing bells. Ommmm.

The only way one of those rip off items will ever aid her sleep and make her relax is for me to rewire the useless heap of crepe 😂

• Haha 1