Why become a member? ×

Awa' wi' yer gold-plated oxygen-free cables ... try this instead!

Happy Jack

8 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

weapons-grade bovine faeces

But there's a whole page on The Science!!!

Though I note that most of the studies cited are by a Mr Geatan Chevalier and Mr J Oschmann. And that no further  peer reviews seem to be available...

Most excitingly, I see that while these grounding sleep mats are connected to The Ground via a mains cable, there's a 100000ohm resistor in line for "safety" which is likely to seriously inhibit the flow of all those lovely  negative earth electrons (as opposed to yer common and garden ordinary electron) in to your body.

And in a further rebuttal of their own "Science":

A common misconception about Earthing technology is that when you ground yourself indoors by connecting to a mains plug socket, “dirty electricity” comes through the cord to the Earthing sheet, and through your body. However, this would be impossible as there can be no current on Earthing products connected to a plug socket because they are connected to one Earth point only, and not part of a closed circuit necessary for a current to flow. No “dirty electricity” can flow through the Earthing sheet, and then through the body because you are not part of a closed DC circuit. For a more detailed explanation, here is a useful resource from the Official Earthing Institute: http://www.earthinginstitute.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/beware-of-earthing-misinformation-2018.pdf

As it says, no "dirty electricity"  (snigger!) can flow through the chord. Though it's not very clear on how their lovely clean earthelectrons can flow, unless they've made use of a DirtyElectricityNoPass Filter... And if they can't flow from the ground, where are they coming from?

I suspect punters with Machina Dynamica (look 'em up!) levels of gullibility are needed.

• Haha 1

The American National Institute of health appears to think there's some valid science at work...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4378297/

Make of that what you will.

Actually, on further reading there have been a ton of studies done, many of which report some benefits to earthing.

Appendix to this study has loads of links, how well the studies are policed or reviewed bears investigation. 

For clarity, I know people who swear by grounding, but I've always thought it was new-age b*llsh*t.

Edited by WinterMute

Just now, WinterMute said:

Make of that what you will

They've published a paper by messrs Oschmann and Chevalier - all the papers include a mix of those two with a Mr Brown and a Mr Chopra. There appears to be no independent verification or studies by anyone else, so who knows. But the nonsense about dirty electricity tells me it's a fad product with no real basis in anything but a bee in the bonnets of a few alleged scientists - I also note that Mr Chevalier is associated with the Quantum University of Integrative Medicine:

Quantum University is the world’s largest institution of higher learning to provide online degrees and certification programs in holistic, alternative, natural, and integrative medicine based on the science of quantum physics.

Didn't Doctor Gillian McKeith, previously the world's foremost TV poo-doctor, get her doctorate from a similar place?

And anything that uses "Quantum" in their marketing and blurb is usually a purveyor of pseudo-science...

9 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

... the Quantum University of Integrative Medicine:

I attended the Homeopathic University of Little-Spalding-in-the-Marsh. 

I got my Honours Degree by attending no lectures at all.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Didn't Doctor Gillian McKeith, previously the world's foremost TV poo-doctor, get her doctorate from a similar place?

And anything that uses "Quantum" in their marketing and blurb is usually a purveyor of pseudo-science...

The American Holistic College of Nutrition no less, which has since closed.

I think that the dirty electricity is the reason I have to vacuum weekly! Maybe my cats are producing that dirty electricity by wandering round my flat?

But as the heading was about gilt OFC cables, I need to remind you all, ladies and genitals, about the must-have Cable Cooker:

www.thecablecooker.com/

16 minutes ago, itu said:

I think that the dirty electricity is the reason I have to vacuum weekly! Maybe my cats are producing that dirty electricity by wandering round my flat?

But as the heading was about gilt OFC cables, I need to remind you all, ladies and genitals, about the must-have Cable Cooker:

www.thecablecooker.com/

I genuinely though that cooker thing was an April fools joke like the mechanical compressor mic stand or the concrete speaker cab with pre-damaged 11" drivers and mini tow bar.

What!!?? You mean that this isn't true??

Why Sleep Grounded?

Did you know that the Earth’s surface is covered by a blanket of electrons, which may act as one of nature’s most powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatories?

Every time we come into contact with the Earth’s surface, we are able to absorb these free electrons through our skin through a process called grounding, or Earthing.

Grounding during sleep provides the body with multiple hours of uninterrupted Earthing, at a time where the body naturally undergoes the most healing and regeneration.

But it sounds so plausible.

• Haha 1

I intend to "do my own research" about this earthing thingy tonight by sleeping in the garden on the ground. It's raining here at the moment. not exactly balmy out and I'm almost 70. If I don't croak as a result of hypothermia, I shall report back in the morning.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, WinterMute said:

The American National Institute of health appears to think there's some valid science at work...

No it doesn't, no more than a library argues for the validity of any one of the books on its shelves

The research all looks legit, but these days, with the proliferation of pay to publish journals, so does everything. As if to prove this fact, my most recent paper "Is it good for metal: a quantitative analysis of resonance patterns in pointy, classic, and hybrid bass guitar headstocks in late 80's rock" is upcoming in the International Journal of Very Important Science. Copies available in request

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Beedster said:

No it doesn't, no more than a library argues for the validity of any one of the books on its shelves

Hence my comment "make of that what you will", peer review is not as thorough as it used to be and there are many bodies willing to publish suspect research,

8 minutes ago, WinterMute said:

Hence my comment "make of that what you will", peer review is not as thorough as it used to be and there are many bodies willing to publish suspect research,

Agreed 100% 👍

On the topic of the heading, I once attended a hilarious event in which a load of hifi buffs did a blind test of various eye-wateringly expensive speaker cables. When the results were collated, it turned out that their preferences were entirely random, with no significant patterns at all; not only that but the naughty technician managing it had thrown in two lengths of 1.5mm twin and earth mains cable, which scored just as highly as the £100 per metre ones woven out of unicorn's derrière-hair.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We once summoned a local electrician to diagnose an electric oven that had gone over to slow heating up.  Said skilled operative placed a thermometer in the oven, switched it on and then spent the next 30 minutes mardling (Norfolk for gossip) and drinking our tea.  He then extracted the thermometer, looked at it and pronounced his judgement: "Thought so," he said "You've got slow electrons. That's because you're out here in the country." 

Edited by lownote
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, JoeEvans said:

On the topic of the heading, I once attended a hilarious event in which a load of hifi buffs did a blind test of various eye-wateringly expensive speaker cables. When the results were collated, it turned out that their preferences were entirely random, with no significant patterns at all; not only that but the naughty technician managing it had thrown in two lengths of 1.5mm twin and earth mains cable, which scored just as highly as the £100 per metre ones woven out of unicorn's derrière-hair.

A similar finding to wine experts who, when various wines are chilled to the same temperature, can struggle to differentiate red from white apparently 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Beedster said:

A similar finding to wine experts who, when various wines are chilled to the same temperature, can struggle to differentiate red from white apparently 

Yet we still pay thousands of pounds for unbroken solder joints and unmolested paint!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1