Why become a member? ×

Effect pedal or passive DI box?

uk_lefty

Does anyone here carry around a passive DI box instead of using a dedicated preamp/ DI pedal?

I don't really have use for a dedicated preamp/ DI pedal but having that safety net of an option to DI off the board is comforting in case my amp packs in. Which has never happened, but I don't want to tempt fate. 

Just trying to weigh up pros and cons before parting with cash. 

I did just buy a Behringer BDI21 but I'm not exactly impressed with it. I thought I'd have it on my board as a drive/ boost but so far I think it might just be best staying in the gig bag as a cheap backup for emergencies... I'd just rather have something useful.

Yeah, I've got an old SoundLAB SDB-20 passive DI box which lives in my spares bag for gigs - the very nice chap from whom I bought my Ashdown Five Fifteen Minirig donkey's years ago threw it in as a freebie as he had no use for it!

Funnily enough, I've also got a Behringer BDI21 in the bag, just in case. Although my other two amps have got inbuilt DI's, the Minirig (which I'm using the most at the moment) hasn't even got a Line Out never mind a DI, so my main FOH feed comes from an Ashdown 12-band graphic EQ / DI pedal - hopefully the SoundLAB and BDI give me enough cover should the Ashdown pedal ever let me down! 🤞

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

It's not like a BDDI is a big investment. Then you're golden, if a little midscooped in the high mids, for some tone in the event of amp failure.

I got the BDI21 for £35 but so far I don't think it's usable. I could keep it for emergencies but even then it's noisy and for me doesn't sound very good. I'd rather have something else that if I need to use it I'll be happy with.

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I got the BDI21 for £35 but so far I don't think it's usable. I could keep it for emergencies but even then it's noisy and for me doesn't sound very good. I'd rather have something else that if I need to use it I'll be happy with.

Knockoff by B'ringer not the real deal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, M@23 said:

Radial Stage Bug for me, would recommend!

Yep, always carry the passive Radial stage bug SB-2. In fact carry two of them as our guitarist is an idiot who insists on bringing active di's that always fail.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Orchid Micro DI. If wireless, straight out of the DI output from my ULXD.

All tone shaping at the desk - digital split onto two channels, one for FoH, one for IEM mixes. 

Yep, Orchid gets a lot of love on here.

I'd go for one of these if I didn't have my Laney Digbeth

http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/classic_DI.htm

14 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

I've got a cheapo thomann passive di velcroed to the underside of my pedal board. My preamp is a stomp and that doesn't have an xlr out so its handy having a di there. It gets used quite alot for other things so it's really quite handy!

Which pre are you using and which di?

On 02/04/2023 at 20:52, Downunderwonder said:

Knockoff by B'ringer not the real deal.

Some people swear by it.. I was a bit wary because I don't really like the Sansamp sound anyway.... But I'll get this returned. I managed to sell off some stuff and make enough to buy an MXR preamp that has a distortion and noise gate as well as XLR out so will see if that does anything for me... Failing that I'll go for the £11 passive DI!

15 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Some people swear by it.. I was a bit wary because I don't really like the Sansamp sound anyway.... But I'll get this returned. I managed to sell off some stuff and make enough to buy an MXR preamp that has a distortion and noise gate as well as XLR out so will see if that does anything for me... Failing that I'll go for the £11 passive DI!

Not seeing the problem with the BDI21.

Simply use it bypassed and you have an effective clean DI. As you would with a passive transformer DI. Except the input impedance will be more like your amp or pedal input.

If you find it noisy like that then probably a fault or noisy power or gain staging problem. I have both the BDI21 and the Sansamp BDDI (older model). Apart from the less robust build, odd foot switch and lack of ability to run off P48 there's not much in it.

• Like 1

The Behringer BDI21, as is the case with the original Tech 21 Bass Driver pedal that it is a clone of, sucks the mids right out of your tone, and there is really no way to dial the mid scoop out with where it lies (just about 800Hz, exactly what you need for definition) and how the Low and High control acts, unless you dial in so much clean via the blend knob that the pedal as a preamp basically becomes completely obsolete as other than simply a DI box. 

If you happen to enjoy the dull inarticulate mud and fizziness of scooped mids for some bizarre reason though it's otherwise actually a great pedal that is basically indistinguishable from the real deal (meaning the Tech 21 Bass Driver pedal).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

There are mods to switch in/out both the mids cut and the "cab sim" elements of the BDI21. But what I'm suggesting is that the OP can simply use it in bypass. Used like this it's simply a clean DI. That seems comparable with the passive DI option being considered.

On 07/04/2023 at 14:38, rmorris said:

There are mods to switch in/out both the mids cut and the "cab sim" elements of the BDI21. But what I'm suggesting is that the OP can simply use it in bypass. Used like this it's simply a clean DI. That seems comparable with the passive DI option being considered.

I've returned it and got a refund. For me, it sounded awful and introduced noise to my signal chain. Appreciate for others it's a great pedal, but I also can't stand Orange bass amps etc. Whereas other people can get phenomenal sounds from them... Each to their own. 

I've got an MXR M80 on the way so will see if that gives me what I'm looking for.

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I've returned it and got a refund. For me, it sounded awful and introduced noise to my signal chain. Appreciate for others it's a great pedal, but I also can't stand Orange bass amps etc. Whereas other people can get phenomenal sounds from them... Each to their own. 

I've got an MXR M80 on the way so will see if that gives me what I'm looking for.

Was the sound / noise a problem with the BDI21 in bypass ? What was it plugged into ?