Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fender JMJ Mustang

Lozz196

Just got home from rehearsal using said new JMJ. I set the amp as I usually do then made any adjustments as required, which ended up with a slight low mid boost whereas with my Precisions it’s usually a big cut there. Overall it felt a bit odd as I’m so used to hearing a Precision when I play but if I’m honest it suited the band better, and the guys said so as well. I also had no trouble adapting to the short scale in the band environment. So I’m now even more extremely pleased with this little bass.

• Like 10

14 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Just got home from rehearsal using said new JMJ. I set the amp as I usually do then made any adjustments as required, which ended up with a slight low mid boost whereas with my Precisions it’s usually a big cut there. Overall it felt a bit odd as I’m so used to hearing a Precision when I play but if I’m honest it suited the band better, and the guys said so as well. I also had no trouble adapting to the short scale in the band environment. So I’m now even more extremely pleased with this little bass.

More importantly, while these aren’t loads lighter than most Ps I’ve had, did you feel a physical benefit as you hoped you would?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

More importantly, while these aren’t loads lighter than most Ps I’ve had, did you feel a physical benefit as you hoped you would?

Yes I did, at the end of the rehearsal I didn’t have anywhere near as much fatigue on my back as I usually do, really pleased about this.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

So, just got in from rehearsal with my other band and again this little bass has both impressed and delivered. Sounded great in the mix (tho it’s still taking a bit of getting used to not hearing a Precision sound coming from my hands) and again much less fatigue on my back & shoulders afterwards.

My only concern is how long I can hold out only having just one……..

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Get yourself a Lionel to go with it. Then you’ll have your P sound as well.

I agree, Lionel’s are excellent, I’ve been lucky to get a JMJ and Lionel used, @Lozz196definitely keep an eye out for one!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, police squad said:

what's a Lionel please? Is this another Mustang that I'll have to go and buy

A Lionel could be:

a) Cockney rhyming slang for £15 (Lionel Richie was in the Commodores and had a hit single with “Three Times A Lady”. A “lady” in Cockney rhyming slang refers to Lady Godiva = fiver, meaning £5. So a “Lionel” is 3 times a “lady”) or,

b) an untidy footie player, or

c) a short scale Mustang-ish bass made by Sandberg. Not cheap but decent gear apparently. Wouldn’t say no to one, personally 👍

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, meterman said:

A Lionel could be:

a) Cockney rhyming slang for £15 (Lionel Richie was in the Commodores and had a hit single with “Three Times A Lady”. A “lady” in Cockney rhyming slang refers to Lady Godiva = fiver, meaning £5. So a “Lionel” is 3 times a “lady”) 

Wow. That sounds like a clue on 321 🤔

I'd definitely be going home with Dusty Bin. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Get yourself a Lionel to go with it. Then you’ll have your P sound as well.

I also have both a JMJ and a Lionel and the JMJ out-Precisions the Sandberg by good distance, IMO. The JMJ does that big, fat classic Precision sound but I find the Lionel has its own voice, definitely Precision favoured but with its own thing going on too, there's an edge of that Stingray clarity but without the overpowering nasal mid-range thing that Ray's do. But the pickup is 10-15mm closer to the bridge on the Sandberg which probably accounts for much of the tonal difference. To get it to sound like a P I find I have to play just in front of the pickup but then I find the stings a bit too flappy, but that's still with the stock strings on which are a gauge or 2 lighter than my usual preference. I'll change them eventually which may well change the feel and tone of the bass. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, krispn said:

Do try it with round wounds - It's a very versatile little bass (well as versatile as a P bass but you know what I mean). I punks up nicely with those rounds!

I have the original supplied strings as Rob (previous owner) fitted the tapes from the get go I think; I'm enjoying it as is for now, big sound from the Sandberg pickups, but I will try some steel flats and the round wounds out for sure.

17 minutes ago, krispn said:

Do try it with round wounds - It's a very versatile little bass (well as versatile as a P bass but you know what I mean). I punks up nicely with those rounds!

Absolutely, rounds all the way on the JMJ! It didn't sound too bad with the stock flats, and I say that as someone who doesn't really care fort flats, but once I fitted some rounds it really came to life, much more clarity and definition without being bright or shrill, and it still have those thumping lows. I'm not one for a Marcus Miller high end but it just sounded a little suffocated with flats, but rounds open it up to a more full range tone. 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...