Why become a member? ×

The One You Let Go and Would Most Like Back

snorkie635

Roscoe Beck 4 and an old Stingray5. I’d get on better with the RB’s neck now and I probably only sold the SR5 because the guy I bought it from asked if I’d consider selling it back to him (I wasn’t really playing 5s at the time). Mostly, I’ve been moving forward with little looking back to previously owned basses.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Roscoe Beck 4 and an old Stingray5. I’d get on better with the RB’s neck now and I probably only sold the SR5 because the guy I bought it from asked if I’d consider selling it back to him (I wasn’t really playing 5s at the time). Mostly, I’ve been moving forward with little looking back to previously owned basses.

Now a Roscoe Beck V is a lovely thing. Been chasing one in CAR for ages.

" Moving forward" sounds a good, healthy attitude though.👍

4 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Much like @Dad3353 mine is a hollow bodied 6 string. A no-name Japanese copy of the Gibson Barney Kessel guitar. Very much like this Shaftesbury - probably from the same factory. I can even forgive it the sunburst finish!

image.thumb.png.f72e2ef8b2040d1f403c3c930dcac0a6.png

Classy if you ask me. Never give up the search my friend. It's out there somewhere.

34 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

Now a Roscoe Beck V is a lovely thing. Been chasing one in CAR for ages.

" Moving forward" sounds a good, healthy attitude though.👍

My RB4 was deep red but not quite CAR.

Edited by ezbass

Not a bass, but my old 1963 Hammond C3 organ + Leslie speaker. Absolutely glorious sound in full throttle. It was the first thing that sold when I got rid of my studio. Regretted it at the time although I knew I didn’t really have any other choice. I probably wouldn’t have time to play it every day now or even every week but on the occasions it might be possible... phwoar! 😅

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, meterman said:

Not a bass, but my old 1963 Hammond C3 organ + Leslie speaker. Absolutely glorious sound in full throttle. It was the first thing that sold when I got rid of my studio. Regretted it at the time although I knew I didn’t really have any other choice. I probably wouldn’t have time to play it every day now or even every week but on the occasions it might be possible... phwoar! 😅

Hammond organ is a tremendous instrument to play. Drop that into a blues band and it's instant kudos.

• Like 1

'78 Rickenbacker 4002 in Azure blue

I traded it in '85/'86 and have only one or two "analogue" photos of it to remember it by. I do still have the '80 Aria Pro II SB-1000 that I chopped it in for though.

Ah, those good old days when you could only afford one bass at a time, eh? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Choosing 'the one' means a decision regarding two basses. Either 1953 Precision (#0189) or the 1966 slab Precision.

It's a difficult choice. Both sounded huge and both were uncomfortable to play for a long period (the edge would dig into my forearm when I was playing). On balance, I guess it would be the 1953 bass. The 66 is very rare but the 1953 has the history and I have a good few Precisions in the post-1957 form.

The only picture I have of it, hanging next to my 1966 Jazz (another one that would worth a bit now!!).

SCB - 1953p & 1966j.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1970 Yamaha SB-35.  Sold it when 'I moved to playing 5 strings' and therefore it went, along with all but one of my 4 strings.  Moved back to 4 strings about a year later, of course.🤪  I have finally stopped pestering the guy I sold it to for fear of him getting an injunction.  I've seen one for sale since, but it was about 0.5kg heavier :( 

P1040329.thumb.JPG.e13789f2d39e48c0461c8a3248fbf0fb.JPG

• Like 2

Westone Raider I in silver/grey.

It was my first bass. I was forced to sell it and I have regretted it ever since. I even miss the smell of the case.

82268512-06EA-4C0B-9E21-764BF92C9123.jpeg.d468aa9ea894e66ef8cf866ce6581f78.jpeg

Not actually mine. The only photo I have of mine was taken while I was playing it naked… No one wants to see that! There were photos of my 18th birthday cake, which was made to look like my bass, but my ex kept them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KingBollock said:

Westone Raider I in silver/grey.

It was my first bass. I was forced to sell it and I have regretted it ever since. I even miss the smell of the case.

82268512-06EA-4C0B-9E21-764BF92C9123.jpeg.d468aa9ea894e66ef8cf866ce6581f78.jpeg

Not actually mine. The only photo I have of mine was taken while I was playing it naked… No one wants to see that! There were photos of my 18th birthday cake, which was made to look like my bass, but my ex kept them.

Photo of you playing it naked? You tease us Sir.. 😁

Not a special bass, but special to me as my first 'proper' bass with which I started getting decent gigs. A Hohner 'The Jack' headless, supposedly active but that wasn't working. I paid about £200 for it in the late 90s and sold it, many years later during a sabbatical from playing, for around £300.

P5130018-2.jpg.75efed705a1a31b8c2301317a286a2b3.jpg

844269467_BandfromRight04-2.jpg.898fd27c9d9ffc3757efa629e33a89b9.jpg

511704755_CardBoardBassist-2.jpg.5cf5b4cbeb7136455bacdb7af48c0fda.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, guyl said:

Conklin Sidewinder. It was a 7-string which always caused a stir, but looking past that it sounded amazing and played like butter. Sold it on here 2008. Still regret it!

There's an Overwater 7 on the for sale section which is an exceptional bass. Worth a look?

15 minutes ago, guyl said: